DIY Grow Lights with high-efficiency LED strips

yes i use blurple to refer to cheap low quality garbage lights, not necessarily blue/red monos. i think every manufacturer is experimenting with adding in some reds blues or UVs etc. but if i had to choose between only blue/red or only white, i already chose only white.

1 Like

I’m hope we’re not arguing :smile: I just have all these graphs & stuff on my hard drive and like to dump them somewhere from time to time!

It’s not that the research is wrong, its that 95% of non-white LED grow lights fail miserably at delivering on the promise of more good wavelengths and less wasted wavelengths at much greater efficiencies than HID - and now by extension, white LED. Their diodes, when they are actually disclosed by their manufacturers, are often less efficient than CFLs. Their drivers run at 50% or less of their advertised power. Their circuits are poorly engineered, the PCBs are cheaply designed and fabricated.

Yes!!! it’s painful to watch people spend twice as much as a good HPS on these crappy blurples that probably don’t even have the right spectrum. And horticultural lighting companies aren’t really interesting in making hobby-sized lights - most home growers don’t need much horsepower for vegging cannabis, or for a micro-grow flowering area, there aren’t many high-quality options in that niche.

4 Likes

I am very happy with mine. 10 strips running at 300w and not even hot to the touch. :smiley:

15 Likes

Very nice and clean design. What driver did you go with?

@Jellypowered What was the final cost and how big is it? :slight_smile: looks really great! I would like to want one as well for my small grow box :slight_smile:

Salutations MuleSkinner,

Based on my limited understanding of this complex subject i’d expect a mix of specific and generic, for example:

[ https://www.google.ca/search?q=Chlorophyll+“2-Level”+Ionic+Pump&tbm=isch ]
Google Images: Chlorophyll “2-Level” Ionic Pump

This schematic below is about Chlorophyll more specifically, not in cannabis only. It appears to illustrate why the double peaks at 680 and 700 nm based on an analogy to resonant “antennas”. Eventually additional hints are gained, like the 559nm peak and the names of dedicated researchers, for example:

[ https://www.google.ca/searchq=Photosynthesis+Antenna+Calvin+Benson+680+700+550+559&tbm=isch ]
Google Images: Photosynthesis Antenna Calvin Benson 680 700 550 559

So i suppose using similar Googling tricks one might find more useful information to help in narrowing the searching parameters somewhat, which wouldn’t hurt a bit trying to find our way through such jungle!..

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

3 Likes

I’m currently using a 24v 20a adjustable switching power supply, Saving up for a meanwell right now, the HLG-480H-24A will be my driver once I can afford it.

@Fisch If you add the driver I haven’t purchased yet, the total will come up to $506.00 I have a cost breakdown somewhere above in this thread.

3 Likes

Salutations,

Another question: Who many “bands” can there be?

For example, from 380 to 880 nanometers if each band is 25 nm wide then that’s 500 divided by 25, which totals to 20 bands 25 nm wide each.

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

1 Like

Ok nobody mentioned it here :smiley: or atleast I didnt see it but if I would like to have 10 strips for my 3x3 space. what kind should I use of I want one panel from seed to flower?? 2700, 3000,3500 or 5000K??

2 Likes

Personally, I would go with the 3500k for a light that can be used to veg and flower. The higher Kelvin are also usually more efficient due to the coating on the diodes. A mix of 3000K and 3500k could be nice too.

4 Likes

And what wave lenghts does the solstrips got? How much Red and so…?:slight_smile: Thanks

Hi there @Fisch , I just post the intensity vs. wavelength graphs for the different color temperatures for the LM561c diode which the SolStrip uses. This should be what your looking for:

https://overgrow.com/t/diy-led-150w-solstrip-build-incomplete/6828

3 Likes

Right now I’ve got 2700K, 3000K, 3500K, 4000K (limited) and 5000K in stock. Charts below illustrate their relative spectrum intensities:

10 Likes

i was thinking of using 4 3500k solstrips/solsinks in a 60cmx60cmx180cm tent and was wondering what driver i should use ? or if there are any better set up options

The HLG-185 should work if you don’t plan to run them at full power. Full power (50.8 W x 4 = 203.2 W )

2 Likes

what about if i run 3 the hlg 185 will run them full yea ?

how much for 3 solsink and 3 solstrip shipped to australia please help or 4?

Here’s some info on cheap quantum boards https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1481967/.

1 Like

have you checked his website if there is a shipping cost estimator?

3 Likes

australia wasnt on the shipping list for delivery