DIY Grow Lights with high-efficiency LED strips

they are already in a aluminium finned body, like car amplifiers… I just connected the body’s with ALU tape to let heat diffuse and took out plastic end caps to let air flow through… they will get a PC case fan to cool down though as now ALU case get sensibly hot… 65/70 I’ll say…
heat is going straight up though so its not bothering too much plants…
DS

1 Like

This is a great idea and a lot of light too, for a very low price…

These Samsung diodes are taking the DIY LED world by storm. I just recently invested in some Cree COBs after running some blurple LEDs for a couple of years. These look great for micro grows. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Question @Baudelaire

What do you think would be a good replacement for a 600w hps that is covering 1 sq metre ?

I am having visions of baking trays mounted on a frame 4 individual baking trays replacing 1 x 600w hps covering 1 sq metre??

What are your thoughts for this type of area. I am specifically aiming at a square 2m x 2m and a rectangle 1m x 2m.

If I am to replace the system I have now which is 4 x 600w hps/mh in summer and 6 x 600w hps/mh in winter over the 2x2 and the other room has 2 x 600w hps/mh and 1 x 400w hps/mh over the 1mx2m

Its getting interesting for me now I have seen them in action, they say seeing is believing. I know pictures paint a thousand words but theres nothing like seeing with your own eyes in real life :sunglasses:

Thanks in advance, I look forward to your response ideas and thoughts.

2 Likes

Using the SolStrips, nine 48w strips (432w) at 187 lumens/w would displace 600 watts of HPS at about 136 lumens/w in terms of lumen output, both putting out 81,000 lm. Using the three-strip baking tray design that would be 3 half-sheet trays over your square meter. A watt-for-watt swap out of 12 strips on four trays would give you 101,250 lumens.

The TCI strips are 50% of the watts at 24w per strip, and are less efficient at 157 lm/2. I don’t see them as HID replacements except in veg applications under 300w, where canopy penetration requirements are less than 12 inches.

-b420

8 Likes

My idea is to split the light by spreading it over the metre sq better. The four tray idea I can see working best as you can evenly space them and right into the corners, where as with a 3 tray system there will still be that bit at the edges Im missing now if you know what I mean.

What would 2 strips give per tray with the option of turn ing the 3rd strip onn/off as I have 1 tray set up now?

4 trays with 3 strips, option to use only 2, a bit like a dimmer system for the hardening off, or winter / summer option?

Do you think that would work as well as the standard old skool hps ?

Just use COBs @Herbie! They are pricey now, get some Veros and don’t worry about heat anymore at all…

1 Like

I’m slowly converting all my 1000HPS to LEDs.
I recommend watching a few Growmau5 vids on youtube. He explains the conversions, watts per meter, COB per meter, dimming…

4 Likes

Yea growmau5 the shit at diy led

2 Likes

Some day i will construct the Canopy10 by GrowMau5…

2 Likes

Probably best design would be to use 3 strips per tray, unswitched, and a remote dimmable driver (ballast). Then you could dim down the whole tray by 30-50% for veg, and run full open in bloom. The Mean Well HLG and ELG 24 volt constant current drivers have dimmers suited to this purpose. As I think about this, the 4-tray design, with 3 strip per tray, is the 600w HPS replacement you are looking for.

One thing you’d probably find out right away is that the reduced waste heat from the strips might create a different kind of “heat” problem for you - lack of it. I switched over to LEDs first in the winter (milder than Britain’s). Two weeks later I was buying heat mats for the first time ever, as my soil temps dropped from 75F to 55F.

As for the ultimate question, do they grow the sticky-icky dank in weight like a Hortilux 600? Time will tell on the SolStrips, but very good results are being reported - and photographed - from the Samsung boards being produced by HLG and others in gardens of 50-100 s.f. where 600s hps once ruled. The SolStrips are the same Samsung chips, arranged on a strip rather than a square board. Three strips equal a Quantum board in output, with the SolStrips having a higher density (chips/mm2).

-b420

12 Likes

Agreed those growmau5 videos were super helpful in making my COB light.

1 Like

Great…I really appreciate the pioneering efforts. I am very interested to see how this turns out as LED is the future…it’s just a matter of time.

1 Like

The time is now…

10 Likes

Nice, are those from timber?

1 Like

Not strips Mad MOD its off topic boot your pic back tothe bubblegum thread :laughing:

2 Likes

Yes they are, but i wanna build a strip cookie tray like these guys! They will be good for a mom and clones…

2 Likes

Those strips make less heat then cobs forsure. But if youre wanting power and penetration cobs are great. These strips can preform like a cob. But its more spread.

1 Like

@lotus710 I like the options available to combine the intensity of COBs with the even light distribution of the strips.

3 Likes

Thats exactly my plan brother.