DWC feeding during night cycle?

My DWC schematic is below.
Currently during lights out:

• Stop the nutrient pump
  • Stop the air in the buckets
  • The nutrients in the bucket then drain into the reservoir through the pump, emptying the buckets.
  • I do keep the air blubbers turned on in the reservoir.

Is this the right thing to do during the night cycle? The buckets remain empty exposing the roots to the air for 8 hours. I did the same thing in my 1st grow, and it lived, but did I hamper it?

Other possibilities:

• Leave pump and air turned on 24 hours. Should I feed at night?
  • Put a check valve in the supply line so the buckets dont drain or circulate. If so - Air on or off?
  • Intermittent timer for pump/air during night cycle. If so what frequency?

Would love to hear from others what they do… Please…

Nice setup, I like your diagram!

There is no need to drain the buckets at night, keep the air and water pumps on.

2 Likes

I can’t give you the scientific answer here lol but I assume the plants are the ones that choose if they feed at night or not regardless of if the solution is there or not.

Ive got experience with DWC though and when i run 5 gallon buckets if i let the plant drink the bucket dry before topping it up i can visually see a weaker root system compared to my RDWC where the roots are always submerged in water and there isnt any drying out of the roots.

1 Like

Maybe I am technically RDWC then.

The pump continually supplies the nutrients to the bottom of the buckets and the top overflow returns it to the reservoir. The top overflow was my solution to roots getting in my drain line, never happens now.

During pump-on times the roots are submerged with 2 air stones running and nutrients circulating.

During pump-off the buckets completely drain into the reservoir exposing the roots. Exposing the roots makes me nervous, but on the other hand, with ebb and flow set ups the roots get exposed to air after every flood. So some exposure seems to be ok, just not sure for how long, and what is optimal.

2 Likes

you need to pick up a book like asap… not trying to be rude but you have a lot of learning to do.

like i would help you. but you need to understand the basics and learn DWC concepts.

Isn’t that why @MrWizard created the post to get help from the VAST knowledge base at “OG”.

Didn’t you just join like 3 hours ago?

Just ran through your activity… Maybe you should sit TF down and STFU for a minute.
You sound like my prepubescent child. This ain’t grass city there shooter megavin.

Here in the OGverse We spead :heart: not the negative BS you are Spewing.

Trust me I love having new people here that are willing to contribute to the entire OGverse but you sir, I use that lightly are no that guy…

Let’s try this again and see if you can make a positive contribution this time or its off to the troll farm with ya!
Really hoping you choose correctly…

8 Likes

Since we are trying not to be rude and recommending books here’s one for you…

10 Likes

Love me some Dale Carnegie… :wink:
Hold up I am going to get me some :popcorn:…

4 Likes

I appreciate you constructive contribution.

Would love to know what I need to learn. I thought I knew the basics, just trying to clarify points where I was unsure.

Got a specific book to recommend?

2 Likes

I’m no expert but as I understand it those roots are water roots not airroots and not soil roots all of which are different. you don’t need to drain your buckets although you do need to keep them oxygenated hence the air bubbles 24/7. if you keep nutrients recycling 24/7 your plants will decide when they need to uptake. IMHO I think you’re shocking your plants when you drain the buckets at night.
:dash::dash::sunglasses::v::canada:

2 Likes

I would call that a RDWC then ya. Your defiantly on to something I think you will benefit from draining the buckets and the extra air but you just have to figure out how long they can handle that for before needing to be flooded again. The only real issue i see with your setup is if a pump fails your plants arnt going to have any water supplied to them where on a more typical DWC setup when the pumps fail the plants are still in water and u have more time to react.

Id say your actually really close to a aeroponics setup lol

1 Like

This attitude and you gouche intro are marking your time here…

Be respectful, be helpful.

There are better ways to word things to people who are dropping their pride and seeking help from others.

I suggest maybe you lowers yours a bit. This is a community, we may not always get along but we all agree on one thing, new users coming on with attitude don’t last long.

Notice the @moderators team just now stepping in, we’ve been letting the amazing folks here trying to steer you right, but the wording on thos specific post wasnt all that great, even with the apology for sounding rude.

In any case, welcome to the neighborhood.

5 Likes

Your attitude isn’t really helpful. If I were new here you would have sent me packing.

agree!

I will sit next to you and share mine.

He is already getting a spanking.

:green_heart: :seedling:

5 Likes

I have a 1/2" check valve I can put in the supply line. That would keep the buckets from going empty if a pump fails. Of course that would eliminate ever emptying the bucket at all unless manually drained.

The safety factor might be more important in this case.

Put the check valve in, in case of failure, and leave the the pump and air on 24/7.

4 Likes

I would probably go the safer route even though you may end up figuring out a way to increase growth rates it would probably be minimal and not worth the extra risk.

4 Likes

Party over here. I missed the fun. @Neb is the water man!!! Lol. I hope you find your answers. I’m a soil person. I cut back on nutrition.

6 Likes

Welcome to OG that’s not how we do it. Love helps. Dr. Day. Lol

1 Like

I am with @Hemp I am a soil guy but I will be here lurking so that when I feel confident enough I may try me some DWC or RDWC…

6 Likes

I am soil also. I am just nosy and check out all the new treads. You never know were you find a gem that takes you in a new direction.

:green_heart: :seedling:

8 Likes

You’re a special person. One Love may friend @Neb got a nice grow

3 Likes