Environment here changed

You can never learn too much, just being here is the real treasure!

4 Likes

Im in favor and like alot of the comment about seed coop for TL2+ and the likes, spaced out server auctions, maybe nixing the ā€œselling original breeder packsā€ for high personal profit, nixing the dibs BS unless in its own separate thread as some people thrive off the giving or ā€œfeeling of desireā€ and the ā€œcontestā€ aspect of it though that can allow returning the free seeds thread to its intended purpose.

Myself i have given away plenty of seed, i use to only give away to those with journals and made exceptions to some members due to security reasons though that was my own personal choice, and as of late do Dice rolls for those interested to avoid the dibs BS that tends to go to only few when others would benefit more.

Like most things labeled ā€œfreeā€ it gets to a point where you have 50+% of people just line up to get it cause its free with no plans for any actual use, and thats not something i personally do or like to see, as to me the seeds are ment to be grown and shared and to carry on in the same manner in OverGrow fashion, not bid wars, dib spamming, and hording typically followed by selling of said given seeds.

Anyways saying that im gonna be more diligent in my own threads about whom i give away to, and other maybe should as well.

27 Likes

Very very true

2 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle, the way you give them reflects perfectly your personality beer3|nullxnull, every Saturday I am tempted to throw my hat oldtimer just for the pleasure of growing something you have bred :seedling:. Iā€™m afraid you could be cataloged as one of the ā€œold boysā€ as someone said, but havenā€™t mentioned the ā€œexclusiveā€ which accompanied that statement because youā€™re the perfect example of gentleman sharing his expertise, helping everyone who need it and sharing your seeds (which have a lot of work and investigation behind) in a gracious way ā€¦

I second each one of your words, I think they reflect the majority of what we think, at least between us members that have been long enough to detect the recent disturbing changes in our beloved forum.

Hope your wise words wonā€™t be blown away by the winds of indifference, your much respected in this community ā€¦ Arriba|nullxnull

16 Likes

If I get them I will grow them. When I was younger never a problem with seeds. I push for seeds when I started growing inside. But everyone was doing clones. I never knew how diverse or different all strains are now. I have had to evacuate myself. Still making mistakes. I do like my own seeds. I also believe is sharing. Living out west was different. Everyone one sharing and wanting to help each other. Yea you had those you didnā€™t want to have anything to do with. Or just didnā€™t want to see them. Lol. But it takes time to make a good seed. Not just crossing a breed. But to have a successful strain. Mother plants get old after a minute. Iā€™m liking the seed thing. I see how someone would want more than they need. Coming here I have found a place to get my seeds. I feel very safe with them. I did take a chance with someone here. I trust him. When you have people that abuse the fun or take advantage does suck.

5 Likes

Do you mean personal accounts as in their grow log threads or are you talking pmā€™s? I donā€™t think it would be right for them to sell seeds off of their grow logs as those are public if they arenā€™t a sponsor as I know we have sponsors like The Vault that pay to do business. What goes on in a private message is just that a private message. I have no business being all up in someoneā€™s pmā€™s, so I suppose I couldnā€™t give 2 shits what people do in there. Whatever monetary transactions happen behind closed doors so to speak has nothing to do with the site as a whole, I would hope if people want to do ā€œbusinessā€ they can take it to their personal emails and not be disrespectful and use OG for that. I hope I understood your question.

14 Likes

Yeah, I donā€™t think people should turn this into some kind of ā€œvendor site.ā€ Totally against the spirit of this site specifically. Thatā€™s one of the reasons why I left thcfarmer, the ads for seeds that literally popped up while Iā€™m in the middle of reading a thread. But how would you propose curtailing that? Shutting down threads the second they mention selling seeds? Banned?

I dunno. Iā€™ve noticed a few auctions on here, like right when I log on and glance at whatever the latest posts have been, before I start responding to the myriad threads Iā€™m already following, but every auction Iā€™ve seen was discussed with lemonade or another ā€œauthorityā€ or whatever and okayed prior to starting those threads. I defer to the judgement of the people running this site. I despise auctions, so I donā€™t engage in them, but the ones Iā€™ve seen seemed to be for a good cause. I, personally, have never come across a thread where anybody was trying to sell seeds for, like, an actual profit or whatever. But I donā€™t look around on OG too much, either. If I did see that, Iā€™d probably tell them to fuck off.

4 Likes

I give seeds away because I like the feeling of being altruistic. I havenā€™t signed up for any co op runs or accepted any free seeds because I have to operate clandestinely, am a private person and donā€™t want to hand out addys willy nilly to people I donā€™t know. I donā€™t care if they have 10 million posts and been on the site since the big bang. Anyone listing how long theyā€™ve been here and how much theyā€™ve posted is quite sad tbh and that that is the criteria for giving or receiving. Iā€™m not doing a grow diary because itā€™s difficult enough to grow, let alone intermittently exhibit a diary. The best I can do is post some pictures which Iā€™ve had the opportunity to take at some point in my grows and occasionally chime in to detail my experiences when I can.
I can say Iā€™ve sent people seeds. Some responded positively. Thanks @seven_trees. Some nothing at all and Iā€™ve sent them remainders of bought breeders packs. I parted with money for those packs but was probably never going to have the opportunity to grow them anyway. Life is too short for me to piss and moan and believe me you should have read some of the PMs. One member going ā€œIā€™ll take care of those beans for youā€.I just laughed internally and sent them to a member who seemed genuinely interested. Havenā€™t heard anything from that member either. Do I care that much?.. Not really. I have tonnes of beans Iā€™ll never grow and that Iā€™ve paid for. Other people can have at 'em. If they want to be hoarding cunts, thatā€™s up to them. I hope they enjoy lying on their vat of beans. If they want to monetise them, thatā€™s up to them also. I wouldnā€™t grow any beans for the names and hype surrounding them anyway.
Also weā€™re all people in a range of situations where itā€™s not possible to give back in exactly the way that another feels they should because they have the facilities to do so.
Beans are like kids. Send them off and hope they donā€™t end up with a serial killer that also happened to be a milkman.
Monetising other peoples free giveaways is lame but again, itā€™s a distinct part of human nature to be greedy hoarding cunts. Itā€™s the world we live in.

25 Likes

I havenā€™t been here that long. I have seen the site over the years. And others. I like OG. People are friendly. The ones that have been here the longest. You guys can change that. Just discourage it. Or donā€™t take part in it. I do notice a lot more people are coming over here to get seeds. But the best looking bud is grow here in my opinion.

2 Likes

Yes, there is a problem. The site is getting taken over with seed threads burying other things. A couple things to point out . . .

LJ posted this for a reason. To extract it from a private thread & throw it out for public discussion shows that there is concern on high. From a monetary standpoint, it is win/lose. The server threads can bring in cash but what is happening in the background with all of the seed vendors? They are usually a top source of revenue for a pot site & they have to be pissed, since people getting free seeds on OG are not buying their ā€˜get a free packā€™ deals. Behind every warm & fuzzy internet community, there is a business that needs a constant & predictable stream of revenue. Users come & go but the business must survive. A factlet that I heard from the owner of another popular pot site . . . The usual life span of a frequent forum user is about 2 years. They burn out, get bored or real life takes them away to other things. So some of the most vocal posters here will be gone, but the forum will still be here in some form or other. And to allow users to give away an abundance of free seeds is probably not the best way forward.

And . . . I am a casual forum user and I always will be. Personally, I find all of this trust level crap confusing & actually pretty juvenile. But thatā€™s just me.

6 Likes

I was going to use you as a great example. I love the way you do you giveaways. Leave it up to chance :wink:

5 Likes

Exactly this.
Even though I posted there many moons ago, itā€™s unnecessary to do so to get/give seeds.
I joined OG with 4 strains in my cupboard, now itā€™s near 25.
My giveaway was a cross I made from that 4 that showed 3 phenos.
This was after my SWAG topic about the Ebner Effect on cannabis.

The Free Seeds thread is itā€™s own entity imo.
Edit
Anyone who comes here just for seeds really misses out.

6 Likes

Yep. Not gonna lie it seems like a kick in the teeth to me to take seeds you were given and then turn around and see people offering them up as trades or for sale like you said. Itā€™s one thing to give them away or put them up for dibs but to turn around and try to make profit off something you were GIVEN is pure bullshit. My moral compass might not always align perfect but I know karma is always watching metaphorically.

15 Likes

This thread used to have ā€œjust chattingā€, but now it seems to be a collection of blowhards.i see you keep making this point, and while keeping my mouth shut the first several times, I must say, it has driven me away, and seemingly driven away many of the former participants. I stopped following one of my favorite threads that signifies the OG sport. Come on man. Go to the chat if you want to make 27 dibs just for fun.

As for the level requirements, I gave up on all that when I lost my access and saw people that had only been on here a month or two talking about a private lounge. Iā€™ve only visited 439 days, created 17 topics, and getting ready to pass reading 21 days read time (real reading).

I also want to point out that I agree with Meesh (gasp), that free seeds should not be exchanged for money. She makes a great point.

Sometimes it just isnā€™t possible. :wink:

I agree though man. Trust your gut.

Yeah sir, good point.

I guess we see how you feel about OG in general. Those that care, probably wouldnā€™t say that. I prefer to be constructive. Thatā€™s why I joined the conversation.

We need a shun badge! :joy:

15 Likes

Thanks buddy, I must be miserable. Glad to make your acquaintance.

5 Likes

I respect what you have to say. I think the seed thing should be to help raise money for the site. And swag stuff. Like t shirts stickers. Or something. The problem with seeds. Are how good are the genetics. What are you getting. I got all those kinds of seeds. I like the site because Iā€™m able to have private conversations. I came here to find seeds. Yes. I didnā€™t want to drive all around the place. I have found some good seed banks here. I support what is good for the OG family. I got to give this week. I pay to be here. I support the best I can.

3 Likes

The seed co op is what brought me here . I thought and still think the concept is great . I made Wolfpack F2 last year and gave away 3-4000 seeds . The only thing I asked was for anyone who got them to not sell them , but either grow or give them to others to grow. Some of those seeds ended up being used as freebies with a charity auction . I have no problem with that.
To me this site is about sharing free knowledge , experiences , and genetics. I couldnā€™t give a fuck about giving away seeds undercutting someoneā€™s business. This plant should of never been and shouldnā€™t be now , about making money . There are plenty of other forums and platforms to go make a buck off of seeds online . There is however only one OG . Without the concept of Overgrowing OG is just another weed site.
Maybe with slightly better people :stuck_out_tongue:

24 Likes

I support that. I really donā€™t have room to say much about it. Like I said Iā€™m new. For myself it was overwhelming. I see the feeding frenzy. Be my last post on the subject. I hate to see others up set. Iā€™m trying my best to support the seed bank I hooked up with. For me I like the grow tips and grow pages. Also the food to how is your brain today. Choose your crowed. I hate seeing another grow site crash because of something so simple that over takes the main goals. I see more take about seeds than growing. Is this what Lemon Joe started? I thought of leaving because of the mixup feelings of seeds. If you got them give them to people that will grow them for you. Iā€™ll drop a new been even two weeks now. Never thought I would want a 2x2 tent or a 3x3. I do now.

Except the chat is not for giving out seeds. Man, one thread seems to be the source of so much tension now. As you might have noticed I have not been in that thread much lately. Gave out a few packs last night and made sure there was min chatting. Was 12 hours between posts in there. I get the driven away feeling you speak of, feeling it more and more each day.

8 Likes

I hate it that you feel it too. Its not really what the vibe here is supposed to be.

I only look at that thread if I am tagged, so I wouldnā€™t notice that.

I really get it both ways man. Maybe we need a free seeds chat?

3 Likes