Fire suppression - anyone use it? šŸ”„

1 Like

This is the brand I went with Heavy to hang one handed LOL
I sleep better at night knowing it is there

7 Likes

Tap If you get one be very careful not to break the glass trigger above the spray nozzle while mounting, I almost broke mine when I was holding it over my head , Would have been bad

2 Likes

Electricity scares me. It doesnā€™t usually bite a second time. Iā€™ve had three shocks in my time, didnā€™t particularly care for any of them.
Electrical fires, they suck. Two off the powder balls in my tent, at least makes me feelā€¦safer. I really should get another though, just for a test type thing. :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

I have a watt meter and plug all devises in to determine total wattage used, and make sure I have the proper gauge wire either most times 12 or 14 when using 120volts. Wire fires come come overloaded circuits that have no breaker or a faulty breaker that does not break, then wires heat up and bad things happen.

How many watts can you put on a 20 amp circuit?
For 20 AMP you have 20A120V or 2400 watts and 15 AMP you have 15A120V or 1800 watts. Good Electricians will only plan for 80% load so you have 1920 and 1440 watts respectively at your disposal per circuit. Next, find out whatā€™s on the circuit. To do this, leave the lights on that you want to connect to.

6 Likes

I cant remember what it was called, but one of my buddies had finished his level blah electrical apprenticeship or something, dude was super smart. He ended up making a board that plugged into my dryer outlet and I powered most of my stuff on that. Luckily I was just a little shit and my mom lived down the streetā€¦so doing laundry at her place was not an issue. But the board had a breaker from the dryer to the panel itself with all the timers and switches. Was incredible!

3 Likes

:nerd: ehā€¦ IIRC, a 15A is really a 13Aā€¦ :thinking:

@HappyHemper ???

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

Yep, that is correct @cannabissequoia, 80% load only, by the book, for permanently connected loads, unless you have a hydraulic-magnetic breaker instead of a thermal-magnetic, then you can rip to 100%.

The breaker is there to protect the wire, not your life. So the size of wire, the material it is made of, and its insulation rating, are what determines maximum current through it.

So if your wire sucks, and you load it to 80% of breaker capacity, you can still cause a fire.

20A rated on an average breaker on 12AWG at 75C rating copper is safe to 1920W all day long.

15A is in fact 13A on a regular breaker for permanently connected loads and would require 14AWG at 75C. The reason is that as it gets colder, the thermal-magnetic breakers trip at a higher current, and as it gets warmer, at lower. BIG problem in Canadaā€™s North. If a panel is in a shed at -30C the wires will melt before the sucker trips.

One manufacturer (Leviton) has a new load centre with magnetic-hydraulic breakers. They are the catā€™s ass. Load to 100% if your local code allows. Always trip at rated load.

9 Likes

When choosing fire extinguishers, the type of chemical used is important.

Keep in mind that anything other than a C02 type will be putting out toxic chemicals. Stuff you wont want to smoke in your bud, have coating your tent, getting in your soil, or rez, or breath.

The dry chemical types can also destroy electronics, motors, corrode metals, etc.

4 Likes

I canā€™t tell you how close this hits to Homeā€¦

Especially considering the events I had last nightā€¦ While tending my cabinets last night, I could hear something that didnā€™t really sound ā€œusualā€ during lights on, a kind of ā€œpopping soundā€, very low, but steadyā€¦ I didnā€™t smell anything odd, but then again, when your head is buried in a cabinet of weed itā€™s hard to smell anything elseā€¦lol. It took a couple mins after doing an investigation, and Lo-And-Behold the ā€œpopping soundā€ was the plug on the power bar shorting out at the socket, and melting the male plug and faceplate on the socketā€¦ I am fortunate that I was in the room when this occurred. otherwise I would be looking at a pile of ashes & a foundationā€¦ As it is an older house, I really need to look into upgrading the wiring, etc., not only from a safety standpoint, but because it really is outdatedā€¦

Stay safe, and a fire extinguisher has been procured, and will most likely be looking into what @STIGGY recommendsā€¦:relieved:

Peace
DaFozz

11 Likes

I thank your angels & your candor. Muuuuch better than pics of ashes & foundation. :sweat: Sheeesh!

Glad I raised the topicā€¦

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

It was kind of eerie in a senseā€¦

Within hours of skimming through it, it happenedā€¦ and I was like WTF???

Peace
DaFozz

2 Likes

DA Fozz yep I too have had the dreaded cord melt down, Now I always check every power consuming items in my room to make sure none of them when all on will cause an overload. A watt meter can be gotten for around 24 dollars US from amazon that you plug into wall and then the light or fan you want to use to see the watts consumed.
No overloads that way , I also like you was in my room tending to plants and smelled that electrical smell and found a cord and outlet having a sparking meltdown, scared me good. Hence the new wiring and smoke detector and hanging fire bombs.
This is what the watt meter looks like

4 Likes

Larry the way I see it is better to have a place to sleep than lose the plants to dry chemical exposure.
If the Bomb did go off it would be a mess but I can always start a new grow.

6 Likes

I use one of these (a fire ball). I keep it on the floor between my two tents. The room they are in is 10x10 so it should cover the whole room if something happens.

There are a few companies that make them, but I think auto fire guard (AFG) is by far the most legit based on my research. Avoid th AFO rip off ones as there are videos proving them to be less effective.

2 Likes

ABC or BC (may be both I canā€™t remember) powder is safe to consume, I previously worked in Fire Protection. If someone had indigestion or heartburn they would get a spoonful of ABC or BC mix it in a cup of water and drink it. All it is basically is Baking Soda from what the shop foreman told me, in 10 years I never saw anyone kill over after drinking it. So, should you not be able to gently blow of the plants and at least try to, carry on, as they say. But, it will eat up any power wiring or circuitry, the guy who worked in the powder room (where the extinguishers are filled) had to replace his boom box radio about every six to eight months.

regards,

mike28086

2 Likes
4 Likes

I like these because I donā€™t think you need to mount them on the wall.

If they throw the ball into the base of the fire, I think keeping them on the ground must work the same. So I just have one between my 2 tents where all the electrical outlets etc are.

If it ever goes off, I would lose the crop and maybe some electronics, but oh wellā€¦ Better that than a fire IMO

4 Likes

Absolutely agree.

I didnt intend that warning as a ā€˜dont do itā€™, but just an FYI.

It may not kill you, but its not safe to consume. Also, not all fire extinguishers use bicarbonate - by a long shot. There are at least 6 different chemicals used in dry chemical extinguishers. I would not want to ingest any of them.

Here is a quote from one site after a quick google.

https://servicefireequip.com/en/blog/38-how-dangerous-is-fire-extinguisher-powder

Dangers of Fire Extinguisher Powder

After a fire, the residue left by a fire extinguisher needs to be cleaned up. Many areas do not permit phosphates or sulfates to be added to the water table. Since the vast majority of fire extinguishers contain ammonium phosphate and/or ammonium sulfate, you need to be careful about cleaning up. The chemicals can irritate skin, so use gloves and avoid inhaling by using a dust mask. You should be able to simply sweep or vacuum the residue up and then donā€™t forget to get a fire extinguisher inspection, recharge, or buy a new one.
Fire Extinguisher Powder Consumption

Despite being non-toxic, you shouldnā€™t try to eat the powder that comes from a fire extinguisher. If you do eat some of the powder, it could cause your throat to become sore and red and may even cause some stomach upset, but this would require quite a bit of powder. You should rinse any dishes or food that has been covered, but if you do get a little on your plate, donā€™t worry. It wonā€™t hurt you in small amounts and is quite safe to deal with.
Fire Extinguisher Powder Inhalation

Fire extinguisher powder inhalation is one of the biggest dangers with fire extinguishers. It is very irritating to mucous membranes and may cause difficulties with breathing if inhaled in large enough quantities. Usually, in a small fire situation where you would be using one of the commonly seen extinguishers, there would not be enough dust to be breathed in. However, if it does happen, you should go to the hospital. The dust may coat your lungs on the inside, which can prevent oxygen from reaching the rest of the body.

Not all fire extinguisher powders are the same. They must be non-toxic in order to be safe for home and car use, but keep in mind that the powder may be irritating to skin and eyes. Avoid inhaling and certainly stay away from ingesting quantities of the powder. If you are in doubt as to the dangers, go ahead and call your local poison control or ER. They can advise you on what to do in any given situation.

3 Likes

Here is an MSDS for one of the everal types of chemical that could be in your extinguisher.

Adverse health effects and symptoms: Irritating to the respiratory system, eyes and skin. Symptoms may include coughing, shortness of breath, and irritation of the lungs, eyes, and skin. Ingestion, although unlikely, may cause cramps, nausea and diarrhea.

This one contains Mono-ammonium phosphate, Ammonium sulphate, and Fullers Earth.

4 Likes