Fire suppression - anyone use it? 🔥

Anyone using fire supression devices?

Seems essential, tbh.

:evergreen_tree:

11 Likes

No, but I’ve been meaning to for ages now. Don’t want to end up on the news with them saying “the fire was started by a dangerous marijuana grow operation” like they’re so find of, just hard to set up with a budget as small as mine.

Will definitely do it at some point.

[Edited to add] I do have a fire extinguisher in the room, and two others in the house. I’d like an automated system, though.

11 Likes

Do you mean more than just a spare fire extinguisher on hand?
I’ve also got sprinklers overhead, but that came with the building I’m in.

8 Likes

Yeah-- fire sprinklers in the house are nice though. Code requried in a lot of new places. (PITA…200psi) My place is old & would go up like a match.

I guess there’s both powder & CO2 based canister setups but I haven’t searched or looked into it yet.

Exactly the same for me & probably most of us that use :electric_plug: :bulb: and can barely afford that. But being mechanically oriented (& old) I know that new brakes precede Nitrous Oxide injection precedes paint-job :sweat_smile: not the other way around… :thinking:

I’d bet insurance claims are tricky with those kinds of fires…

5 Likes

fire ball 20.00 or flame defender 80.00 or just an automatic fire ext for 160 money well spent.

14 Likes

Looks pretty serious…check the video in the link.

https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId=62087140999&type=product&schema=enalibaba%3A%2F%2Fdetail%3Fid%3D62087140999%26ck%3Dshare_detail&ck=share_detail&shareScene=buyer

3 Likes

We have fire extinguishers and alarms sprinkled around but nothing automatic. Would be nice but I don’t know.

Other than that, paying attention and being careful with layout. Buying equipment that doesn’t look like it’s going to burst into flames before it’s even out of the package. Or, better, equipment that’s UL listed. No exposed wiring junctions. Keeping any long-term/permanent AC wiring or voltages > 20VDC off the ground and out of the way. Keep things that could overheat (motors, etc) a safe distance from things that could potentially catch fire. Keeping a buffer zone around the furnace and water heater. Gasoline / flammable liquids, primers, and powders stored in Just-rite cabinets.

The closet thing we’ve had to a fire is either us starting it or my SO unknowingly dumping hot embers into paper bags. That was exciting.

Occasionally, we see photos of extension strips laying on the floor near sources of water. That makes me more nervous than fire.

8 Likes

Lol that hot ember story bro :rofl: tickled me I hope he was in some way intoxicated :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I know somebody who when they first started used to have his power cables and extensions on his bed with him :rofl: used to say to him all the time like why don’t u move these his reply was always “it’ll be right” :man_facepalming:t2:

Edit: sorry forgot to add that it genuinely ran for three cycles exactly like that and it never caught fire. That’s no excuse to just leave the shit like that though people :muscle:

5 Likes

Yes, that would have been my wife’s doing. Bless her soul. Just didn’t think about it since I’m usually the one in charge of cleaning out the stoves.

LOL, leaving live power and extension cords on the bed. We’ll then. There is another good bullet point, try not to get lazy around electricity. :grin:

6 Likes

fans have been the closet thing in my grow Several times!

4 Likes

Oh, interesting. Fans. Any more detail as to what had occurred.

1 Like

25 dollar clip fans 2x and a circ fan from walmart. they are all trash gonna have to start buying from industrial catalogs and pay good $$$ motor melted the housing after failing melting and eventually throwing the breaker but judging by the melted plastic it took awhile to trip the breaker.

8 Likes

Wow when you said fans I thought you meant the blades I’ve noticed before on most fans the blades of ran 24/7 smell like they’re burning and they genuinely go black around the fins like the plastic got wind burn :rofl:

2 Likes

I bought a 6 inch clip on ram fan last year. Situated it inside the tent. Checked plants next morning and fan wasn’t moving and casing felt really hot. Obviously I removed it. Ram is one of the main companies for us growers. Since that experience I’ve avoided any Ramair products. More than likely a one off but that was enough to make me avoid their products

4 Likes

i keep fire extinguishers around. i never had a fire but a buddy was helping me in one of my first gardens. he got wild with the watering wand and hit a bare hps bulb in one of those wing reflectors, it sounded like a gun shot when that bulb blew up. thankfully no one was hurt, but the next day i found glass shards embedded into the wall.

honestly i dont know how im still alive with shit like that happening to me more often than i like to admit. last summer i was in a buddies field target shooting with a 45 cal thompson, must of hit the only rock in that damn field. i caught a ricochet right in my plate carrier. i dug it out with a knife and i keep it in my gun safe as a reminder.

6 Likes

That’s not quite fire suppression… more like “suppression fire” :laughing:

:v:

4 Likes

I have one of these , The Largest size 10kg . It’s in the room but really needs to be over the lights to be effective

It discharges downward

4 Likes
7 Likes

I remember a company named bulldog or something making them many years ago. Wanted to get one when I was in the big leagues, but may still get a 2kg for my little 2 x 5 x 7 space

3 Likes

$50!!! Holy smokes…I might get one next payday. Even if it’s + $100 to ship to Canada…like they say in the video, cheapest insurance ever.

3 Likes