Fire suppression - anyone use it? šŸ”„

i wonder what the MSDS is on a house fire??? what do you think we will be doing hits off the fire or smoking buds after a release??? i dont understand the angle larry

4 Likes

The angle is education. Not everyone is an expert on fire extinguishers.

It was obvious to me from some of the replies above, that some people did not fully appreciate the risks. I dont want someone taking a recommendation that it is perfectly fine to eat this crap like candy without knowing the facts.

Most people would not do something as stupid as eating or smoking bud that was contaminated with these kinds of chemicals - but people as a general class are not always that bright. Especially when they are stoned or desperate for a harvest.

Too many people are perfectly willing to take the advice of someone (whoā€™s qualifications they do not know) posting nonsense on the internet, or making a stupid video - just because they wrote it down and said it like it was an absolute fact.

As I said above - it was intended as an FYI for those who need it.

7 Likes

Look, what it boils down to is IF you use a CO2 extinguisher you have zero worries about contaminated bud, or damage to electronics, or the rest of your house, or poisoning your fish or pets.

ANY other type has risks.

Its that simple.

2 Likes

With the humidity in a grow room, wouldnā€™t the co2 extinguisher actually be more of a hazard around the electric componenets of the grow?..items frost up (due to cold temps of compressed co2 released) and then the frost melts and bzzzzz-zap if itā€™s on your power bar or something. I could see it happeningā€¦chemical powder would be the way to go I imagine.

No angle, Larry is simply helping to educate and get the noodle thinking. I, for one, am all for overthinking thinking such things :laughing:

To me, the reminder about different chemistries in fire suppressants is appreciated. Not to forget, the use of the incorrect type, chemistry, and layout can in some scenarios lead to increasing and spreading the fire as opposed to suppressing it.

And, as is with all disaster planning, the best approach is multi-tiered approach. Hazard removal -> safe equipment -> safe installation -> retardant materials -> detectors / alarms -> blocking/buffers -> manual suppressants -> automatic suppressants.

Adding a fire extinguisher to a room because that chinesium fire ball of a fixture is scary is missing an opportunity to eliminate the actual risk. Sometimes, unfortunately, it becomes a learned experience. :disappointed:

Obviously, itā€™s generally better to have something rather than nothing, but the risk of having to utilize a fire suppressant in the first place can be dramatically reduced by some thoughtful planning.

NFPA_10-libre.pdf (1015.7 KB)

5 Likes

Swith auto matic systems like the ball you still need to be on hand to effectively deal with the fire as they only knock down the fire for a short period of time , you have not removed the heat or the source of the fire so it may flare up again , a working smoke alarm will have alerted you maybe quicker than the ball exploding , so a working smoke alarm and a co2 extinguisher on hand is the best option imo but having the ball I suppose canā€™t do no harm ( I would not be in favour of breathing any in tho )

As northern_loki said also think about your fire load and fire spread too , in your grow room and surrounding risk areas and minimise if you can , keep the place tidy and store stuff in a separate area away from the risk
Take a moment and visualise how the fire would progress and eliminate any potential progression etc
Keep all doors in the home closed ( half hour protection = plenty of time to get safely out ) and check your smoke alarms regularly : )

Everyone should also have a home fire escape plan if growing or not , get every household member to be blindfolded and lie in theirs beds then set the smoke alarm off , everyone rolls and drops from their beds , crawling on their belly staying low under imaginary smoke too meet up , and then make their way togeather safely down the stairs and out front door ( keep spare key in safe place at front door ) also have other contingency plans in place for all situations that may arise ( not able to get down stairs , trapped in room etc and how to raise alarm with other house members , fire service and neighbours etc ) , make it fun if children involved ( turn into game ) itā€™s easier to do something if it has been already done befor : )
Do several times and let each house member watch the fun unblindfolded and learn from it
This is more important for those in more rural areas as it may take some time for help to arrive
Abit of topic maybe , but sure if it helps one person itā€™s worth posting up

4 Likes

Hahaha , dam thatā€™s catchy , Iā€™ll be singing that all day now : )

1 Like

Great Song I Loved it

1 Like

:wink: Sometimes I actually leave the house, so itā€™s good to have a backup. :sweat_smile:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

OK QUESTION
Do they make a smoke alarm that can alert you via a cell phone
Good idea for an app or a Smoke Detector that does.

3 Likes

I would like that too : )

2 Likes

Nest can do it. If you have an Android phone/tablet. Itā€™s been google-fide so itā€™s sort-of not the best but you can get push alerts.

4 Likes

I was just looking at them 2nd Gen

A $120 a pop US

5 Likes

Nothing for apple phone ?
Iā€™m not great at tech stuff

Yes, expensive but they do last around 10 years. Sometime the local electric companies provide promotional coupons for ā€œsmartā€ home devices.

Iā€™m looking around and there may other options that have SMS (text message) capabilities.

The Nest ā€œappā€ may work with IOS. I donā€™t know for certain since I donā€™t have an iphone.

3 Likes

OK what about this, a smart phone thermometer unit, it says it can send alerts
Place in GR and it can monitor and send alerts

@20 dollars US

2 Likes

Stuff that can work with IFTTT are an excellent option (e.g. youā€™ll need wifi or a gateway). Itā€™s really really cool since you can set it up just the way you want it. But like most things powered, wonā€™t work to send notifications if power is lost.

Google smart home stuff just dropped IFTTT support because they want a walled garden. And their garden kind-of sucks.

Perhaps (with z-wave hub and IFTTT):

https://www.firstalertstore.com/store/products/z-wave-smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarm-zcombo-g.htm

See also:

edit: we have multiple Nest Protects and have been happy. For the most part reliable and does what it needs to do. The path lighting feature is surprisingly useful. Two versions available, one AC wired (w/ battery backup) and the other battery only. They will all link to each other so no matter where you are at in the space, itā€™ll tell you which detector sees something wrong. First generation had some false alarm problems. Second gen supposed to have fixed that.

edit: info for IFTTT https://ifttt.com/

3 Likes

Great Info loki, I may be picking your mind later on down the line in future
If you donā€™t mind .

3 Likes

Soooā€¦ I mentioned these fire ā€œgrenadesā€(suppression thingys) to a growfriend who kinda scoffed & suggested ā€œthatā€™s why you donā€™t buy cheap equipmentā€. :unamused:

I doubt itā€™s that simple but the insistence on non-cheapo equip. does seem to come from experience but Iā€™m questioning this dudeā€™s ideas more and more. My outdoor blows his wifes out of the water. :grin:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes
  • can somebody explain me why the plug does melt in the socket? What is the reason? A problem with the resistance where the plug connects in the socket?

• I sometimes have problems with fans. I had a couple of them failing. Got really warm and didnā€™t really rotate. Does somebody know if that is a fire hazard and what the reason is?

• somebody said to have only 80% load? Why? If you have the right sized breaker to the right sized wire, what can happen?

• what are devices which are most likely a fire hazard?

I am considering to do some anti fire measures. But I need to know what devices I need to watch? Can a good ballast start burning or is that highly unikely?

Probably I will put up a couple of the 10 kg fire extinguishers?

My ballasts are hanging at the reflectors, probably they would be too high?

1 Like