First ever grow… little nervous and overwhelmed

All you can do is try it out and see what she can do. The Amazon reviews are mostly for people growing algae and using them for aquariums.
Hopefully someone that is familiar with that type of light will chime in and give you an idea of what to expect.

I’d upgrade the light if this one isn’t good enough. But I have some bigger problems with the long term planning. Mainly how much smell should I expect and when should I expect it ? Is good ventilation enough to eliminate most of the smell from stinking up the house? That would be an issue. Another option could be a makeshift outdoor heated green house in the fall/winter ?

1 Like

That light is a good start, especially while they are small and if you have a good window. My Walmart has clearanced some ferry Morse lights for $5 https://www.walmart.com/ip/1783290937 you might get lucky.

I have 2 of these now, https://a.co/d/gTUwGDG they go on sale pretty regularly for $45. I use 1 in veg and plan to use 2 in flower. Someone else uses them too. @OhNo555 or @LoveDaAutos maybe?

I can’t speak to smell too much if you are trying to limit it. I live very rural in a legal state. It smells like weed a lot here.
I did notice today I opened the tent in the seed project that is 8 weeks and just flipped and I yelled at them because they stunk like the jazz cabbage.
I’d say after about 4 or 5 weeks they can get an aroma. I have a vivo sun carbon filter that does a job.

3 Likes

Good ventilation might be enough depending on your situation. If you dump the exhaust directly outside, is someone going to be able to smell it?

Even in veg stage they will be a little smelly when they get bigger. When they are in flower they will stink up your whole house, especially when you rub up against them. You may need a carbon scrubber.

2 Likes

You got this dude! no matter what, growing your own is always better! Try your best, ask questions and help will be here! if things don’t work out for these babies, let me know and ill send you some more seeds you can drop and try again!

Also look at Viparspectra lights for flower, they are reviewed as the best bang for your buck light and they go on sale on amazon! Try Migro lighting reviews , this one is a bit behind but you get the idea - The best grow light 2021 for small grow spaces - MIGROLIGHT

3 Likes

Ahh man thanks I’ll keep you in mind for sure.

Is the outdoor greenhouse completely implausible ? I just have my young daughter and would really want to limit the smell as much as I can

1 Like

@GMan has his finger on the pulse of the biggest tripping hazard.
Too much water
Just get used to the weight of the cup/planter. You will know when it gets light, and then It Needs water…
Early stages, its a critical incrimental step. But feeling the weight, and knowing when to do it, gets it closer to 2nd nature @JerseyGrower

Those Wet/Moist/Dry meters make it really easy to confirm that Need

Have Fun Bud

1 Like

Are you legally allowed to grow outdoors where you live? If so then yes! Do it! If not then no! Don’t do it! Plants can get crazy stinky and you never really know how loud a plant will be till it’s in full swing. Those smells can attract drama (police, thieves) you don’t want near your house.

Small tent (2x4), extraction fan and carbon filter should run you about $150-$200 bucks and is really helpful for smells and general discretion.

1 Like

Legal state. Not legal to grow yet I don’t think although there is legislation trying to be passed. Could those instruments also work in an outdoor tent/house? Or is this a dead end idea.

As long as you have good growing conditions outside and the right amount of power available (15A plug x 120v x 0.8 (only load breakers to 80%) = 1440w) this is what you can run off one 15a plug) then that would work great :grin:

Try and vent the fans outside to get fresh air into your tent (VPD dependent)

Edit - I just read your question again and I want to clarify my answer. These tents cannot be used outdoors as is. If you have an enclosed outside building/shed with power you could put one in but they are not water tight and the equipment I’m talking about is not outdoor rated so the shed would have to be enclosed and weather tight.

1 Like

Maybe look in to getting a small grow tent and exhaust fan with carbon filter.

Edit to add I agree with the above statements about getting a better light. If you’re only doing one or two plants you wont need much. I’d be looking for around 200ish watt leds. And that’s 200 actual watts.

2 Likes

I’m assuming you’re in NJ, and just read the NORML on your state laws, which, no cultivation is a real bitch.
But, since it’s illegal to grow, I’d keep them inside.
People use different fans and such for outside, since it’s semi exposed to the elements. We like the $10 box fans for barns and greenhouse.

I have tween/ teen boys who dgaf about my plants. NOW that said if you have custody concerns or bitchy coparents by all means keep it on the DL. Get an inline fan and carbon filter for a tent and that will take care of a majority of smell. Kids don’t know or care. They think they are pretty plants. Parents are lame and have lame hobbies.
Do be age appropriately open and honest with your daughter, always.
If your concern is the school and her going smelling like weed, I have never experienced a kid coming to school smelling like reefer for any reason other then they have weed on their person. This is year 7 I’ve been a teacher.

I’m rooting for you, and if these seedlings don’t make it, don’t be discouraged. The difference between a good grower and a great grower is the number of plants they have killed.

5 Likes

Wife not an issue at all she’s more excited for our first grow than I am. More concerned about the second part… school… less enlightened family members who I still love and respect their opinion even if I disagree with them about their concerns.

1 Like

If you can’t grow outside then I’d recommend a small tent. I threw together a budget tent setup for my mother/clone tent. 2x2 (3 ft tall) id reccommend you get a setup at least a bit taller than that for 1 full grown plant. 1 mature plant can be as big as 4ft wide and 4ft tall but if your growing autos or run short veg times then you can get away with a smaller tent setup. I run a 2x2x3 with a hlg 65 for lighting, inkbird controllers for temp and humidity hooked up to small heater, small exhaust fan, and humidifier. Overall the setup should be less than $300 by my guess

1 Like

Then I wouldn’t worry too much. I’ve unloaded kids from cars that were fishbowls. The kids smell fine after a bit. Being around growing plants isn’t going to stick. Especially if you’re a normal parent who launders their clothes and bathes them.

Cigarettes can cling, especially to backpacks and coats since they aren’t washed as frequently. I’ve had to move coats and bags out of my gym because they smelled like cigarettes or cat pee, but never reefer.

Now, if family is coming to your home that’s different. My mom came over and said “um, smells like marijuana” (she’s that mom). I had to point out the big old weed bush she was standing next to :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I honestly believe this to be the best value LED light for someone starting out or someone with 20 years growing experience. For the price it is a lot of light.

ViparSpectra XS1500 Pro 2023 Design

5 Likes

Just me personally the light would be the thing to max out your budget on. Never want to go cheap on lights or you will replace it later with a better more expensive one. Just better off planning to set aside $500-$1000 for a good grow light or buy used or refurbished if need be but don’t cheap out on the light. Now that figure I quoted above would be for a 4x4 or 5x5 light so im sure you can find a really good light or lights for a 2x2 or 3x3 for anywhere from $300-$500

1 Like

Much appreciated going to do some research tonight

1 Like

Will definitely check this out

2 Likes