Free Seeds & Free Clones Thread (Part 12)

Do the little stoner ants move the seeds up and down in the soil or is it Fragles, lol. Sorry, just had to :crazy_face:

11 Likes

yeah, lol thatā€™s it! I think you have the answer!

3 Likes

Fraggle f**king Rock! @DougDawson

ā˜†DJSF

15 Likes

Devilā€™s advocate, yes.

Broad statements like ā€œI DO know lol If ā€˜scoringā€™ were needed for them to sprout, then thereā€™d be no marijuana! What scored all the marijuana seeds thatā€™ve grown wild for all these millennia ?! lolā€ tend to make me want to play devilā€™s advocate.

Nature has itā€™s ways, and for cannabis to spread, itā€™s not just seeds falling from the plant into the soil, otherwise youā€™d have a patch of cannabis and thatā€™s it. In reality, you have wind blowing seeds, animals eating and then pooping them out (also could be scoring).

3 Likes

I think the seed shells slowly harden up.

In the wild almost all weed will be popping from seed less that a year old.
We tend to be using older stocks of seed and I think thatā€™s why some need a little help.

Cheers
G

8 Likes

In the wild, open pollination= tens of thousands of seedsā€¦
If all popped the whole world would have been submerged under weed ā€¦
Ergo the wild sucks in terms of germinationā€¦

3 Likes

Very true. This also points to the potential for nature requiring scoring, or some other form of preparation, for the seeds to germinate.

Not saying any of this is true or accurate. Just theories and speculation.

4 Likes

Not sure why people on here tend to not know how to Google and instead prefer to posit bro science to argue against scientific proofs but "A small seed size and a thick pericarp are characters expressed by wild-type plants compared to domesticated landraces and cultivars. Achenes of wild-type C. sativa are smaller than domesticated varieties (2.7ā€“3.0 mm long [44]), and they weigh as little as 2.1ā€“2.7 mg [73]. In contrast, the achenes in our in vitro study were 5.0 mm long and weighed 26.1 mg. Domesticated C. sativa easily escapes cultivation and reverts to a wild-type phenotype within 50 years [17]. Small and Cronquist [74] defined the wild-type phenotype as < 3.5 mm in length. The literature suggests this size is larger than optimal for mammalian endozoochory

Vavilov [44] described ā€œa greater solidity of the pericarp in mature fruits of wild hemp,ā€ and the ā€œthinness of the seed coatā€ in domesticated varieties. Small and Cronquist [74] attributed wild-type seed hardness to pericarp thickening along the ribs and in the basal part of the seed: ā€œSmall wild fruits have walls as thick as larger domesticated fruits, and therefore in proportion to the size of the fruit, are better protectedā€ [74]. Van der Meij and Bout [76] measured the force required to crack a domesticated hemp achene, a mean of 12.16 N, approximately the weight of a 1.24-kg mass"

3 Likes

Wild seeds need to fare weather, rivers, snow, high heat and animals eating them. That is why they are tougher and thickerā€¦ .So they have a higher survival rate.

2 Likes

What are you suggesting with this blurb?

I can read it both ways (i.e., for and against endozoochory), especially with the last sentence of the first paragraph.

1 Like

:thinking:
Naaaa. I know a bunch of guys and galls that would keep it all thinned down. lol

6 Likes

Ok lol Iā€™m not even going any further with this discussionā€¦yā€™all have a nice day now, ya hear?

4 Likes

Oh ya I remember who told me that, it was a guy that sent me some hard finish frost seeds. Haha

2 Likes

We should probably move this off topic stuff to the chat folks, just a thought.

8 Likes

Yes, back to free seeds and clones!

532759179animated-hemp-marijuana-gif-14

6 Likes

I was about to add my 2Ā¢, but was thinking the same @DougDawson :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But as someone who germinates tons of native seeds, it really depends on the species. Many conifers require fire to open their seed pods, but on the contrary, most seeds require a period of cold stratification, to signal their germination. When we want to sprout seeds out of their natural time periods, we will put the seeds in some moist soil analog and leave it in our crisper drawer in the fridge for 30/60/90days depending on their reqs.(when the seeds drop in nature, to when they would normally germinate)

As for the seeds shells needing scarification, older seed shells develop a hardened cuticle to protect their energy stores inside.
Anywayā€¦ On to the chat thread. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Free seeds?..

10 pack of Maui mango haze to the first person to tell me what this plant is.

7 Likes

I have Maui Mango Haze but good luck all and thanks for the chance @Rhino_buddy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wish I could tell you, but going to learn something else now

1 Like

Thatā€™s milk weed isnā€™t it?

it is Echinops?