From SSeeDD to sail.. exploring SSDD, pollen chucks & Bodhi Crosses

Purely for knowledge sake does intersex in a male parent plant translate to intersex in female offspring? I only ask because while there is a huge consensus about intersex issues in female plants this and Holy’s encounter appear to be somewhat rare anomalies. I do recall hearing it mentioned in a few potcast’s, not sure exactly which ones or what was said but I do recall thinking it a rare anomaly from those descriptions as well.
It may have been mentioned but are the intersex males in Bodhi’s F1 stock or are they popping up in F2+ generations.
I did manage to find some F2 seed and specifically asked about intersex in males as I had just saw Holy’s post in his thread about his male intersex issue. Ill recheck my email but recall 8 males in the OP, only one culled for intersex. No details really on stressors or pot size though.

10 Likes

Damn near every male I have ever had starts growing pistils. I think the only male plants I have had that didn’t were autos, and I feel like if they had they enough time they probably fucking would! I got a male Soar f1 that threw pistils, as well as a Crazy Bitch male from Copa. And a slew of others I have forced from my mind haha.

Keeping in mind I really beat male plants up, but if it’s in there, it’s in there.

11 Likes

I’m not experienced enough to answer that really. I’ve read and heard opposing viewpoints from people way more knowledgeable than I am.

Well recently @HorseBadorites had some SSDD F1 males throw pistils that he was attributing to a timer mixup.

Yeah I know that nspecta leans towards the sam the skunkman perspective which is essentially “a herm is a herm”. Dj short and TomHill apparently favor them.

My SSDD male was an F1. Horse’s was an F1. I believe Holy’s was an F2 but not 100% sure.

Interesting. I haven’t ever seen pistils on a male before but I’m not 100% certain that they weren’t present. These were very difficult to see and the TG6 really secured my ability to confirm them. I couldn’t make them out with just my eyes or low quality jeweler’s loupe.

12 Likes

The intersex males show up in the F1’s and F2’s.

I’ve had stable males though. Males that do not put out hairs at all no matter what you do. They definitely exist. Just like there are female plants that do not put out nanners or balls no matter what you do.

There’s been some talk from DJ Short among others that intersex males can increase female ratio in offspring, make more stable females, etc, but there has ben no definitive proof shown for any of that.

13 Likes

Thank You for the detailed response.

5 Likes

Love the discussion and perspectives. I’m still leaning towards a mass cull but am waiting for dissenting opinions. Will give it at least a day of contemplation to avoid being impulsive.

Also @DesertHeartGardens just did a quick review on some SSDD bubbashine pheno x Goji OG and sounds like it was an SSDD leaner. Appreciate it again!

11 Likes

Thank You as well. When I read in your thread the volume of seeds you have been thru hunting that line I went back and picked up a bulk pack of 100 F2 beans in addition to what id already bought. Hopefully I have enough to see it through.

6 Likes

Well the deed is done. No-one seemed to think it was unreasonable to abandon the mission and didn’t manage to talk myself out of it. Going to have to clean / spray down the area again when I get more free time and then maybe a few new things can move in. SSDD Bubbashine , Triple Sunshine A and SSDD #2 remain pollinated. Triple Sunshine A may or may not get removed as well, but for now it’s not bothering anything.

I’m not sure when I’ll pop more SSDD but probably not until fall/winter. I very much intend to try again.

13 Likes

Day 25

SSDD Bubbashine pheno

Triple Sunshine - A

22 Likes

Ohhhhh… Shit, man, I thought you decided to trash everythiiiiiiiing haha, didn’t realize you were only talking about the male. Oh, man… Fuck me… That’s why I didn’t even respond to your last post, just because I got all bummed out and shit haha. And if I could find that emoji of the dude slapping his forehead, I’d post, like, eight of them right now.

Plants look good! Haha…

12 Likes

Not everything but most seeded females got culled too. There will be replacements but they will be 4 weeks behind. Hoping there isn’t too much lingering pollen now…

Also it’s not a big deal to me, I’m still happy I’ll have some F2s. I just don’t want a ton of seeds from the untested stuff w/ this dad.

11 Likes

Triple Sunshine a (tk x ssdd)

SSDD bubbashine mom seeded

SSDD #2

I may have just FIM’d the ssdd #2 accidentally when moving it by the main stem. Has very weak straw stems compared to the SSDD mom. Smell is similar berry / rubbery but the mother has a peppery / skunk background that the #2 currently doesn’t have. SSDD mother appears frostier and louder at this stage.

19 Likes

Triple Sunshine A - partially seeded

SSDD #2 - fully seeded

SSDD mother - fully seeded

So far the ‘bubbashine’ leaning SSDD mom is still the frostiest & stinkiest in the tent. I like the way the Triple Sunshine looks at the moment also and is fairly frosty as well.

25 Likes

So these are seeded by the male that you ultimately decided to trash? Sorry, I’m just trying to keep up haha…

7 Likes

Yeah I kept a few pollinated females by that SSDD #1 male that started throwing pistils. I’d rather have F2s of my bubbashine pheno mother than nothing. I trashed a lot of the overgrown and untested stuff that was heavily pollinated just because I didn’t want to shuck and separate that many seeds from untested plants (with that specific male). The Triple Sunshine A is staying because I didn’t have a replacement and it wasn’t heavily seeded. The SSDD #2 is staying as well because I didn’t have a replacement. My intuition says otherwise but who knows, maybe DJ is right about seeking out pistillate males.

Waking Dream ( Wifi 43 x SSDD) was culled and replaced.
Triple Sunshine C (stretchy tk looking growth) was culled and replaced.
SSDD #3 and #4 females were too far behind to get pollinated.

Hopefully those remain (mostly seedless) for better evaluation.

When I make seeds the question I try to ask myself is “will you realistically ever germinate and grow these out?”. Anyone who knows me knows I have no issue sharing but when I make seeds I’m making them for myself as a kind of backup usually. The answer is definitely YES - I would realistically explore them with my ssdd “keeper” if I’m unable to find a new male in time. I intend to try to find another male in the fall or winter but you never know, shit happens and mothers do get lost. I recently reached out to someone who had the Space Monkey pine pheno keeper only to find out they lost it. Glad I have F2s and crosses made with it at least!

17 Likes

That Triple Sunshine definitely looks like TK! Can see the SSDD trying to show up a little bit but overall, it’s all TK. They’re all looking great!

10 Likes

Interesting. That’s cool to hear, thanks! The smell is a bit hard to pin down on that one currently. I know a lot of herb (that I like at least) has a rubbery component, and that plant does but it’s different. I want to say dark/deep rubber, adhesive and black licorice at the moment. I am getting the feeling that it’s going to evolve into a gassy smell as it ripens. No clue what genuine TK smells like, but this doesn’t smell like any SSDD or SSDD cross that I’ve tried so far (despite having a rubber component, it’s a different rubbery smell). Odor isn’t low but it’s nowhere near as strong as my SSDD keeper at the moment either.

Everything can change including my opinion as time goes on…

10 Likes

Sounds like some of the ssdd is in there messing with the scents but TK does definitely have a rubber component and it is different than the SSDD’s buttery rubber thing. Should be some really good when she’s done!

11 Likes

Week 5 for SSDD mother , #2 & Triple Sunshine. Going to post some of these in the Bodhi thread as well.

Triple Sunshine (tk x ssdd) - Partially seeded by SSDD #1

Sunshine Daydream F1 (bubbashine pheno) - Fully seeded by SSDD #1

SSDD #2 F1 - Mostly seeded by SSDD #1

SSDD #3 2 or 3 weeks behind, smelling strongly of fruity gum at the moment (artificial strawberry?).

22 Likes

Loving the look of the TK x SSDD A flower structure. In person the frost stands out a bit too. To me this is the most interesting / exciting variety at the moment, mostly becuase I’ve seen the SSDD keeper so many times now.

got a better shot of the SSDD keeper too

Starting to daydream about what to explore after this project is wrapped up. Going to try to compile a list of some of the seeds to see if anyone sees anything interesting that I hadn’t considered.

I don’t have anything rare, discontinued, or IG auction worthy (other than the triple sunshine) and don’t feel like making seeds again next round anyways. Still interested if something stands out as worthy of trying in this list.

I tried editing out the empty packs from the list as well as a lot of non-bodhi stuff of little interest.

Twenty 20 - Pre 98 Bubba S1
Seeds Of Compassion - Gorilla Biscuit IX
Tonygreen’s - GG#4 RIL

Uplift (HA OG x Snow Lotus)
Kush4 X Snowlotus (Kush4 X Snow Lotus)
GG4 X SSDD (GG4 X SSDD)
Field Trip (GSC X SSDD)
Baba Kush (Bubba x SSDD)
Waking Dream (Wifi X SSDD)
Chem 91 SVA x SSDD (Chem 91 SVA x SSDD)
Kush 4 x SSDD (Kush 4 x SSDD)
Sunshine Queen (3 Kings OG x SSDD)
Triple Sunshine (tk x ssdd)
Sunshine Daydream (Bubbashine x App)
Gorilla Ghani (GG4 x OMG)
Madre Azul (Blue Lotus x OMG)
Beautiful Day (Topanga x Strawberry Milk)
DazzleBerry (Goji Razz x Strawberry Milk)
Limited Edition (DLA 5 x PU3)
Purple Triangle (Black Triangle x Purple Unicorn)
Purple Soul (Pinesoul x Purple Unicorn f3)
Phone Home (TK x Wookie 15)
Space Cowboy (Larry X Wookie 15)
Sunra (SFV og x Wookie 15)
Pinball Wizard (SSH x Wookie 15)
Sundance (Lemon Thai x Wookie 15)
Lavender Jack (vintage Jack Herer x Wookie 15)
Black Raspberry (Goji Raspberry f2 x Wookie 15)
(ChemDPU)xW15 ([Chem D x Purple Unicorn] x Wookie 15
Snuggle Funk (Black Domina x 88g13hp)
DLA #6 (Iraq Ranya X 88g13hp)
Herer Hashplant (Jack Herer x 88g13hp)
Heavenly Hashplant (Bubba x 88g13hp)
Saints Crossing (Saint Stephen x 88G13HP)
Golden Hashplant (TK x Green Crack x Tres Dawg x 88G13HP)
Blueberry Hashplant (Blue Dream Sat x 88g13HP)
Black Triangle (TK x 88g13hp)
Grandmas Hashplant (Irene x 88g13hp)
Redeye Jedeye (Skywalker OG x 88g13 HP)
Spirit Hashplant (Ghost OG x 88g13 HP)
Devils Hashplant (Diablo OG x 88g13hp)
Imperial Majesty (Pure OG x 88g13hp)
Time Bandit (Wifi X 88g13hp)

Self Created

SSDD x Goji OG (2021 male)
Sunra X Goji OG (2021 male)
Space Monkey #4 Pine Pheno F2
Space Monkey #4 X GG4 RIL