Gpaw’s Phase II

I had to get in on this too… here’s a quick 3D rendering of your box. Took me about 20 minutes. Excuse the SolStrip lighting, but it was already modeled previously.

6 Likes

Brilliant @ReikoX Thanx!!

I’ll bet you have already researched this, a question that has been nagging me is “do you need IR and UV in a veg spectrum”?
The reason I ask is some LED strips have some IR LEDs mixed in and some are running straight white.

Cheers
G

1 Like

IR and UV are part of the sun’s spectrum so I would guess that the plant can use them in veg. That being said, the real difference, from my understanding, is in trichome production. So, I would save it for flowering and use 4000K whites for veg.

2 Likes

Though of the Day:

LED technology has been progressing fast, we now have multiple sources for Sol strip type lights. These types of lights can support any mix of white, IR, UV LEDs and give very even light densities.
They are strong! Folks have dialed them back (in some cases significantly) to avoid damaging the plants.
I keep looking at those Arduinos and Rasberry Pi s thinking what interesting things they could be doing with lights.
What I’m thinking about it a programmable light that can synthesize the sunlight (Intensity, spectrum and duration) of any geographical location on the planet.
Something like plugging in a latitude and date and let the processor cal. sun rise, sunset, light intensity, simulate rising and setting sun, daytime UV, natural progression of the seasons etc.

Imagine growing Laotian Mung Sing or Malawi in it’s ‘sort of’ natural light. Want to run some Panama? change of code!
We aren’t quite there yet - but we are not that far off either.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

So my Bluefish controller will simulate a location’s daylight hours and weather conditions. While it wont simulate the spectrum changes, it will vary intensity for sunrise, sunset, and cloudy conditions.

Some people go crazy over their fish tanks. :grin:

4 Likes

Hah!!
There are no original ideas anymore!! :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :clap: :sunglasses:

and I forgot clouds!!
(edit) Realistic thunderstorms!?!
(edit) and it ties into those funny Mean Well specs I found awhile ago

cheers
G

2 Likes

You really think easing 'em in to overdrive works better then flipping a switch?

This space constrained system is right up my alley, will be following along!
Best of luck Gpaw, I’m sure you’ll make this work.

2 Likes

Yeah, the demo of that is pretty cool. I never really use it otherwise, but a pretty cool concept.

From what I have played with so far, I find I can have a higher max intensity at “mid day” if I ramp up the intensity in the morning and down in the evening. I did the math and the integral was the same, but for part of the day I couple push the plant harder. My best yields have been from using the controller.

4 Likes

I am a switch flipper. On my last grow I did a slow transition from 20/4 to 12/12 and the plants seemed to shift into flower quicker but that’s subjective.
When I first saw the sunrise/sunset function added to blurples years ago, I was rather skeptical.
Later research has caused me to reconsider that or at least to keep an open mind.
These plants are adaptable to wide varieties of growing conditions. Lately I’ve been wondering if growing the landraces in a tent with a light that more closely mimics their natural environment would be beneficial long term.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

OK, while playing with Libre Draw I worked this up as a sketch of the carcass. The carcass is built up of 1" x 2"s, (2 in each corner). The horizontals are 1" x 2"s as well, lap jointed to the verticals. Some of the lines are wrong (hidden instead of plain etc) that was due to how I drew the sketch.

Once I’m up to speed on a proper parametric package I’ll make some pretty pictures
…was that an alliteration? :exploding_head:

carcass.pdf (2.0 KB)

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Hey @Gpaw I’m wondering if you have stopped in to Princess auto lately and know if any of the evergear grow lights they carry are worth looking into or not?

https://www.princessauto.com/en/searchresults?Nr=product.active%3A1&Ntt=Evergear%20grow%20light*&Nty=1&No=0&Nrpp=50&Rdm=307&searchType=simple&type=search

2 Likes

Is there one of those specifically you’re looking at? We can definitely find better deals than that

1 Like

Well that’s new, I haven’t seen that… Thanks for the ‘heads up’

I’ll have to wonder down and have a closer look. Off hand, I’d say they are priced a little high, but I’ve been saying that about Princess Auto for years :rofl:

I’d get excited at a buck a watt for the large quantum boards (that’s my cost on building the equivalent)

Thanks & Cheers
G

3 Likes

Buck a watt incoming. I have the 220W, excellent quality, no different than a SF2000 for half the price.

MIXJOY 2022 Newest GL2000d LED Grow Lights with Samsung LM301 & Daisy Chain Dimmable Mean Well Driver, 220W Sunlike Full Spectrum Plant Grow Lights for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower Growing Lamp https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B086392MLZ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_HF9BJTPPMFVRDF917Z4E?psc=1

MIXJOY Newest GL-4000d LED Grow Light with Samsung LM301 & Daisy Chain Dimmable Mean Well Driver, 450W Sunlike Full Spectrum Plant Grow Lights for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower Growing Lamp https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08639MTZ6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_2SXW3D9KMN91910D74X5?psc=1

450W for $359 right now!

@MBVapester take a gander

2 Likes

I don’t have any LEDs yet and more casually interested unless they put them on a big discount.
If you do get a chance to check them out let me know.

Thanks. I did a quick look and saved the links to go back later.

2 Likes

Very interesting project @Gpaw , did you get around to build it in the end?

1 Like

The short answer is not yet, but soon(ish)…
I’ve made a setup in one of those wire storage racks (to model the space) and that convinced me it will work well and convinced me to make a couple refinements.

Basically I’ll be doing it in a year, after we move.

No worries… I’ll do a piece on it with all the nerdy bits on full display. :vulcan_salute:

Cheers
G

4 Likes