Grams per watt vs grams per square meter

I always thought it should be grams per KWh as that is Si units and takes into account the energy input, but the idea of space limits makes sense too
If you do space should really be per square metre not foot…it is 2018 not 1768 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Haha it gets me too when folk talk about watts and kilowatts then mix in imperial/fractional size measurements :laughing:

Saying that my led rig is running at 400 watts in a 3 foot by 3 foot space does sound a bit more impressive than saying my half a Horsepower rig lights a 1 x 1M space :thinking:

I’m six foot six point three centimeters tall btw :thumbsup:

1 Like

I weigh 3808 ounces…:fearful:

2 Likes

I always thought watts was for measuring success of indoor weight vs area for outdoor/greenhouse.

1 Like

It’s a measurement of energy produced OR used. What you use it to measure is up to you. Could be electrical energy consumed or the output from a vehicle engine etc etc.

That’s not something i’d want personally but saying your 17 stone doesn’t sound all that much better either :laughing: I did reach 3584 ounces at one point but i’m back down to 95254.4 grams now :joy:

1 Like

No outdoors are easily measured hahah per plant. . . So GPW & G/M2 are indoor things

And if you can find your GPW you could actually do a little calculations and find out how many calories per gram lol
Don’t feel like doing math this morning though so diy guys lol

I am aiming to lose 9700grams to get down to 2 hundred weight

2 Likes

The wee fit console could be your vehicle to salvation if you give it a good try bro. Just remember to stop before you have a big fit :thumbsup:

My target these days is 1.875 hundredweight, if i go over i have to cut out some munchies for a while and do more shit, move around a bit, long (ish) walks with a decent spliff etc.

2 Likes

I measure in ml to mix gallons.
Hose size is imperial with pump flow in metric.
I use ppm’s with individual products to achieve a EC
One oz here is 25 grams cause there are 40 oz in a kilo.

:exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

6 Likes

Been back to grafting for a few months, a few more and plot visits should see me sound in a few months. 2 hundred weight is perfect, 13 stone was anorexia and constant fainting due to lack of fat/blood sugar for me…

1 Like

We buy fuel by the litre then have to work out how many miles to the next stop. Gallons are still a thing when it comes to fuel cans cos no one can imagine what 25 litres looks like or even weighs.

I shouldn’t laugh, it’s not that long since we had to buy stuff with sovereigns and shillings and if some of our conservative party members get their way, we’ll be using them again soon :laughing:

2 Likes

You know your own body better than anyone and you don’t have to let some rabbit food munching health freak tell you how to be. Respect :thumbsup:

1 Like

When your in a green house per plant kinda loses it’s meaning. Comes down more on root area and area occupied by plant.

1 Like

And outdoors it’s kinda of hard to tell GPW. . . If you figure roughly 10000w/m2 of sunlight I’d have to grow 20 pound plants to hit anywhere near indoors

1 Like

Outdoors should be measured in kilograms/kilometer^2

3 Likes

We measure days, hours, minutes, and seconds with Impreial measurements. It’s only when we get to sub-second measurements do we switch to metric.

2 Likes

If you are talking system efficiency, then this makes sense to me, but I have questions and concerns :slight_smile:

Should we include the total height of the tent or grow room or just the height of the canopy? Two different growers might get the same yield with the same number of plants and same lights, but one is growing in a 10 sq ft tent that is only 60" tall, but the other is growing in a 10 sq ft room with 10 ft ceilings. The guy in the tent is going to look much more efficient if you include the entire - unused - vertical room space.

In my case for example, my tent is only 48" tall, but my canopy height (I SCROG) has never gone over about 24" in the soil grow and about 30"-36" in the hydro grow - including root zone.

My tent is 28"x38"x48" inside roughly = 29.5 cu ft

My soil grow took about 14.5 weeks from planting the seeds to harvest for 422 gms dry. So thats 422gm /29.5 cu ft / 15 = .95 gm/cu ft/week.

If I only use the canopy height, that number doubles.

My hydro grow was in the same tent, but we need to add in the root space that was hanging down under the table plus my rez. That increases my “tent space” to 35 cu ft plus the rez which is about another 2 cu ft = 37 cu ft total.

The hydro grow was from clones, so that almost feels like cheating in this context. On the other hand, this was a sativa dom strain, which had a much longer flower time, so it took about 14 weeks total from initial start with the clones. I had to harvest early, so Im not sure how to handle that in the calculations, but lets add 2 weeks to the time. I doubt the yield would have been that much more if I had waited an extra two weeks.

The hydro grow netted 559 gms dry, so that works out to 559gm / 37 cu ft / 14 weeks = about 1 gm/ cu ft/ week.

In this case, if we only count the canopy height, it goes up again, but not as much. 559gm / 27.75 cu ft / 14 weeks = 1.4 gm/cu ft / week.

My point is, my small tent - and the fact that I SCROG - makes me look good - especially if I only count the canopy height or the volume the plants actually take up. Some one else with the same plants and equipment in a larger tent would look bad in comparison - even with the same yields.

I like your idea, but - like all the other methods of comparing grows - it doesnt seem to fairly compare every grow to every other grow. Ive been thinking about this for a while, and I havent come up with anything better though :smiley:

1 Like

Unless every grower uses the same methods materials and light schedules all these metrics are simply guidelines.
Not really a good way to measure this grow vs the next guys grow but instead for focusing on trying to maximize your own.

The smaller the area and using less wattage can really mess up the numbers and make average growers look better then they actually are

1 Like