Greasy's Journal

That’s tight bro :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

2 Likes

Grow some kale, cauliflower, broccoli alongside them, the butterflies much prefer them to lay their eggs, they’ll ignore your cannabis a lot more.

5 Likes

I wish! I am growing Kale and Broccoli about five feet away from my plants and it has not helped. I have to spray my veggies down with BT as well just because I’ll lose all my Kale and Collard Greens basically to the bastard caterpillars! All day long they are fluttering about right around my plants. I chase them around from time to time looking like a crazy person. I can bat one right out the air now pretty regularly with a flip flop, which must be quite a sight for my neighbors.

Since my veggie garden has been brought up, I will show off today’s hillbilly heirloom tomato harvest. I’m going to dehydrate a few of these and save up seeds for next year as they have been excellent.

19 Likes

Then a butterly netting may be interesting.
Very cheap.

4 Likes

I think that’s the right idea. I don’t have the space now for that, but coming up with some kind of bug proof enclosure would make a huge difference. We all know one so cal grower who has clearly documented the solution. Life goals to grow like @meesh someday!

10 Likes

Maybe you could buy some agricultural insect netting and just throw it over the top to keep the moths out. You got some pillars? So fkn bad in Cali! Those brown moths live 11 out of 12 months of the year. They were the absolute bane of my growing existence

8 Likes

Not sure what sort of native insects you have but something that might be worth considering

https://www2.ipm.ucanr.edu/agriculture/cole-crops/cabbage-looper/

5 Likes

Ah! I think that’s the issue. You’re putting BT on the veggies so the bugs are going to the next thing, your herb plants. I think he’s saying you need to grow sacrificial Kale or Broccoli, etc that you aren’t spraying with anything in order to give the bugs something to munch on and off your other veggies and herb plants :wink:

Thankfully I had some invasive creeping vine come in my backyard this year. I also decided not to mow the whole thing. Only paths around my garden and to the backgate and ac unit and sutff. I let everything else just do its thing all summer. The vine covered a quarter of my backyard. By midsummer my garden was going monstrous and was perfectly clean of any bugs. The bugs have been decimating that invasive vine and not touching my tomatos/squash/cucumbers.

There was an old saying about planting in 3’s. One for the weather, one for the bugs, and one for you ^^

13 Likes

This is great! I would love to find a way to grow some plants that can attract bugs to kill the bugs I don’t like. I have a lot of little birds that are regularly hopping around in my veggies eating the caterpillars which makes me very happy. I’ve even got a yard rabbit now that has taken to eating all the lowers of my veggies and leaving his poop in my pots. Free fertilizer!

That makes sense. The thought of growing a sacrificial plant just goes against everything I feel. I want my babies to thrive, not to be sacrificed. Might be worth considering though as I realistically mangle the heck out of my buds digging caterpillars out. I lose a lot of trichs, but it’s better than losing the bud.

10 Likes

Agricultural insect netting does seem to be a great solution. I’ve definitely got the pillars bad. I had propogated a nice little branch of collard greens that had some eggs on it that I wasn’t aware of, and went out of town for a few days, and came back to this. They are ruthless!

12 Likes

He uses BT on the cannabis as well, you basically have to unless you just want to leave it up to chance as I have found the moths lay on some plants more than others. Cabbage moths are just part of it (the white ones that are out during the day, mostly laying eggs on brassicas like kale and collard greens). The moths that lay eggs that turn into budworms come out at night and are the real pain in the ass.

Year round temperate weather has its benefits but it definitely has its drawbacks as none of the pest insects are ever killed off all the way due to freezing weather, they are just always around.

9 Likes

Brassicas attract lots of things from great distances, not sure I would do this. Cabbage looper life cycle is 18-25 days so you could actually be farming (ranching?) them.

5 Likes

Or get some chickens.

Blackfly, caterpillars, earwigs, coddling moth, grasshoppers, ticks, millipedes, aphids, spiders and termites are all within the reach of a chicken beak and make for a tasty snack.

They’re living pesticide, fertilizer machines and give you eggs.
Also they’re feathered dinosaurs.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the ideas guys. For this season I think I’ll be sticking to the regular applications of BT. To get my mind off bugs and back to plants here is my Sun Ra. She is the happiest plant in the yard. Smells are starting to come in a mix of fruity funk. No sign of frost yet, but I’ll give her time. This plant has been flowering for around 4 weeks.

13 Likes

what a beauty :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

2 Likes

Show me the chicken that can reach the top of this plant :rofl: Seems like the moths always like laying eggs on the top most part of the plants too.

16 Likes

Nice christmas tree :wink: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

4 Likes

@ElGalloBlanco

5 Likes

I feel this so hard haha

2 Likes

Have you tried shouting at them? :smile:

4 Likes