Greasy's Journal

I’m damned tempted man… :thinking:
Let me figure some timing out.
:wink:

5 Likes

I’ll be sure to tag you when I pop those soon. I’m really looking forward to growing them, and those BB Muffin x Vintage BB F2’s too :grin:

6 Likes

Just let me know @MoBilly , I know you would knock em out of the park! You grow some monster plants!

Awesome @Oldtimerunderground . OTUG is a VIP in Greasy’s Journal, got some of those without even being asked to test. Like I said to MoBilly, can’t wait to see what you could do with them!

11 Likes

Glad to hear that hopefully the silica watering is helping with your PM issues, I think it is even more apparent when used throughout the grow as you shouldn’t have to fight with the PM to begin with.

And that sucks about the botrytis, it is a real pain in the ass, for the most part, whenever my outdoor plants show signs of it, it just seems to keep coming no matter how much of it you cut out or get rid of. Thankfully I haven’t seen any signs of it this season here, I am now trying to stick to plants that can hold up to the elements better, more landrace type stuff in hopes that it helps in that regard. Most modern day cannabis just isn’t bred for consideration to outdoor growing. That may be something to look into going forward for your outdoor grows.

12 Likes

Looking good! This has definitely been one of the craziest summers I can remember, I know it couldn’t be easy for anybody growing outdoors. Hot and dry as shit for weeks, then it’s immediately rainy and humid and cool… Bizarre. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen it rain here in September before. Or not anywhere where I’ve lived in SoCal, anyway.

Watering with silica doesn’t “disqualify” your weed from being organic, btw. Whether you foliar or drench with it, it’s still organic.

11 Likes

I’m setting up for winter runs, I might have room for a couple.

4 Likes

Lookin great! That BB has some nice tight nugs! Has some cool purple streaks on the leaves.

6 Likes

I can drop some in about a month and a half. I’ll be over my limit for a couple of weeks but I would risk it. If that’s not soon enough, that’s fine and I understand. I would want them grown out, quickly. too if I had produced them. :slight_smile:
I have so many strains available I’m not hurting for beans. I actually have the next three runs planned but plans can be altered. :+1:

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s been my experience the past few years as well. It just turns into a tradeoff of how long I can hold out before chopping. Once it starts picking up speed and whole colas start going down I pull the plants. I would love to actually flower out my plants outdoor for 11/12 weeks like the guys up north seem to be able to do and get an end of October harvest, but happy to be able to take what I can get.

Thank you! It has been challenging growing this season, especially since I’m growing in 7 gallon pots. I’ve been having to water daily which has kind of been a pain in the ass. Been having to put each plant in a tub and bottom water it so they can really soak it all in. Takes like forty minutes to water 6 plants!

In terms of the organic designation with silica, @ReikoX am I mistaken, or did I read from you that watering in silica disqualified it as organic? I tried searching your thread for that tidbit but couldn’t find it. Or maybe I’m just crazy?
The buildasoil description kinda confirmed my confusion over the subject. Either way, I’m growing some pretty damn clean weed, so whether or not it qualifies by a standard isn’t really an issue. I just want to grow stuff that won’t give me cancer in the future, which I think I’m accomplishing.

Thank you! I think her fade is beautiful too. Not going to be much of a yielder in comparison to my other plants, but she is making up for it in her unique terp profile!

9 Likes

Shoot me a pm and we can work something out. I would love to see you grow these. Seems like a departure from your sativa forest you’ve got going outside!

Not too late at all. I would love for these beans to have a chance to be grown and not sit in my fridge forever. I will try and test them out myself next summer outdoors, but in the meantime I would love to see what others can do. Shoot me a pm and I’ll get a pack out to you.

11 Likes

I mean, I dunno how/why drenching with any organic product would render it non-organic. That doesn’t make any sense. If it’s organic in a foliar, it’s organic in a drench. It’s the same product, just applied differently.

7 Likes

I’m with you man, if I can spray it on the plant, why can’t I drench it? I don’t see any logic how one kind of application could be different.

9 Likes

Yeah that’s the tough trade off with having to battle caterpillars and botrytis, you need to spray the flowers to take care of the caterpillars but you are just adding that much more moisture to the flowers themselves which can lead to botrytis. It’s definitely a rock and a hard place situation, I know a lot of the bigger cannabis grows use the bio fungicide Regalia in their foliar sprays and watering and it is supposed to help fight against botrytis, but that stuff is crazy expensive and I can’t see myself spending that kind of money on it.

I don’t know if you spray BT at night but I have started spraying earlier in the morning in hopes the flowers will dry out quicker, although the BT probably doesn’t stay as effective for as long either as it degrades in sunlight. Anyway, I am still in the process of trying different things to see what works best. We get a ton of wet, overnight fog here in July and August so I have been starting my outdoor seedlings in late May in hopes that they won’t be as far along in flower during those months. Anyway, I will let you know what works or doesn’t, but then again, I think it can really vary from year to year so who the hell really knows?

8 Likes

Well, the product itself isn’t organic, it is synthetic. It is on the list of approved synthetics for plant disease control. That translates to foliar applications. There is a petition to get it added to approved synthetics as a plant or soil amendment.

As a home grower, you don’t have to worry about being NOP certified. I have used AGSil as a soil drench in the past.

From the Build-a-Soil website:

11 Likes

I’m ready to get my hermit on after this summer! :joy:
But seriously, I need to crank out some bud this fall and remind the wife I actually can.

7 Likes

Thank you for chiming in. I appreciate you helping to spell things out for us a little more. I try to prioritize organic inputs in my life so that I understand what I’m putting in my body, and that the things I’m consuming were made in a way that weren’t harmful to the environment. That being said, I don’t think I do as much homework as I should, and often don’t truly understand what I’m using, and rely on stores like Buildasoil and the organic label to do the thinking before me. I think this is a great example of that, and how I should push myself harder to really understand what I’m using. Reading that the silica i’m using is a synthetic ingredient, and was created inorganically by combining potassium and silicon is something I can handle, and will not fear using.

11 Likes

I do spray my BT in the evenings. The weekly sprays have been pretty effective so far in keeping the caterpillar population down. I believe the past two years I was spraying every two weeks, and that was not effective.

The bio fungicide is really interesting. I grow on such a small scale, that it looks like I could get an entire season out of a 32 oz bottle at 2 tablespoons per gallon for about $50 bucks.

I love hearing what you have to say about outdoor growing in our region, and learning what has worked and hasn’t for you. I think trying to grow some strains that are more landrace based makes a lot of sense. I’ll try and see if anything that Bodhi offers in his landrace lines strikes my fancy and maybe try one next year.

8 Likes

I think I am going to try a partial harvest on the BB Muffin x Vintage BB F2 later this week, or next weekend. Haven’t done that before, but could be a good way to get the most quality out of a plant.

Checking the trichs out on the middle and top buds, and here is a shot of one of the middle ones. All cloudy trichs.

Top buds are looking good

Lowers still need more time

Thinking about harvest the top and middle buds, because I’m seeing more and more brown popping up on chunks of buds or buds. Thankfully no grey mold sighted today.

17 Likes

Yeah, right after I posted that thing about the silica, I remembered my “online mentor” telling me years ago that she had to make notes of everything, all the time, in order to maintain her CA-certified organic designation or whatever. Not just what she used, but even the time of day she used it and how it was applied (foliar, drench, etc etc). I’m not sure what the reasoning behind that is, but I figure it’s gotta be something haha.

In any event, like you said, I’m a home grower, not a vendor, so I’m not really worried about it. I’m not paying tens of thousands of dollars to be a Certified Organic Grower. I barely use silica at all, but I’m fine with adding it to my water and drenching with it.

Maybe I shouldn’t be… haha.

8 Likes

Just under 5 weeks flowering in the tent. I’m pleased to report there has been no sexual instability this run. I think my past experiences were self inflicted with not taking enough care to keep the zippers fully light proofed. Feels good! Having mixed results with growing in 5 gallon pots this round. Plants seem to have a lot more nutrients, and not seeing any early fade, but with the extra 8 gallons of soil in the tent, the humidity at lights off is now up to 75%. I added in a fan at the bottom of the tent in the center of the plants blowing directly up to increase air flow.

Group:

Sun Ra| Loompa’s Headband x TK
Good Old Days| Sherbert x Wedding Cake

Loompa’s Headband x TK. She really stretched on me! She was shorter than everyone else pre flip.

Sun Ra. Very thin stems here, think I’m going to need to stake her up soon to stop the flopping

Sherbert x Wedding Cake

Good Old Days

21 Likes