Greenup tries expensive auto flowers (mephisto)

Wont a longer than 11 hour dark period trigger flowering in photos? Or have i been wrong all along and it’s a shorter light period that triggers flower?

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I was assuming you were modifying a flowering schedule.

If the photos were still in veg, I personally would still just do what’s convenient, as long as your dark period isn’t excessive, i.e over 24 hours. I’m not saying it’s best for the plant, but it takes several consecutive days of consistent 12/12 to push the plant into flowering mode.

Thanks for asking for clarification

2 Likes

Greetings @Greenup,

I’m just catching up here. It’s been a couple of weeks, how are they looking?

I’ve acquired some Mephisto in my seed locker, so pulling up a chair if you don’t mind.

-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:

2 Likes

Glad to have ya, welcome to my log of mistakes!

Unfortunately my Strawberry Crinkle is still very short but it is putting on bud weight at a surprising pace. It smells VERY good, just like strawberry candy. I have only removed 2 leaves from it so far. Those two leaves were smashing nugget babies so they had to go. I am thinking I will remove 2-4 more leaves today because they are so massive and the buds are all so tightly packed already. You can’t even see most of the buds because everything is so tightly packed. Pic below. That giant leaf at the bottom middle of the photo is hiding another nice bud but most of them are crammed along the main stem.

The White Creme is moving along in its 5 gallon plastic pot under 20 hours of light. It’s just over 2 weeks old. I actually moved the Strawberry Crinkle, White Creme, and JLO autoflowers to another tent. My Hella Jelly was overtaking one of my tents so I had to shift things around again. I decided to slow down the plan of starting a mephisto every two weeks. I am learning so much I feel like I will gain more by focusing and applying what I learn to the next one. Apparently autos are hard for me. Impulse buy at the grow shop of a single white widow auto seed… it cracked, tail peeked, then never progressed. Tossed it after like 10 days.

With all my tents I have been really getting into the environment tweaking. I have three tents in a closet and two outside of the closet so keeping humidity and temperature where I want it in all of those spaces is a challenge. I got a couple goodies for xmas, local auctions, and FB marketplace (I am cheap). Using phontone app to try to get rough light readings on all tents. All lights brightness and distance has been honed in over the last month. With an inkbird, two AC infinity inline fans with humidty/temp control, 3 small humidifiers, and 4 inline fans I have most where I think they need to be. Also got the Autos that are under 20 hours of light to have their dark period during the expensive part of the day (electrical cost).

For fun, because it’s not a mephisto auto… photos below are my hella Jelly monster (and vertically challenged sis) in its new tent. Ignore the slight droop, it was due for water and top dress before flipping to flower and it perked right up. I also took the bottom 11 branches in the compare photo for clones to share with growmies.

The photo with the two plants… so those are both Hella Jelly (Jolly Rancher) from Humbolt Seed Company, both started at same time, both slightly abused early on. Put one in a 5 gallon plastic grow bag, the other in a fabric pot. The one just TOOK OFF TO THE MOON. This is the catalyst for yet another tent/plant shuffle.

I think it might be time for me to start a main grow diary thread for all the other updates on what I have been learning. Below is my current harvest calendar, it’s constantly being updated. But it helps me remember to check trichomes and then add some time to the estimate if needed or chop em down.

10 Likes

Your second Hella Jelly is pushing some new growth. Nice line up.

2 Likes

Took 4 giant leaves off to get the buds out in the light.

11 Likes

I’m really interested in this one, since I haven’t tried autos before and will be growing some (they were freebies with my order, I don’t expect much lol)

I wonder if “Green Crack from Cecil C” is from the same Cecil that was on OG 1.0? If so, I grew some of his stuff and it was DY-NO-MITE!

3 Likes

Update on the mephistos. First the Strawberry Crinkle

Next is the White Creme

I am gona harvest this JLO F3 (below)that I got from @ReikoX today

17 Likes

I want to start another mephisto seed today, which should it be?! obviously not White Creme or Strawberry crinkle.

Or should I start one of the crosses?

7 Likes

That Blood Orange Haze looks tasty.

7 Likes

+1 for the blood orange haze

5 Likes

I concur with the other about Blood Orange Haze

3 Likes

Blood orange haze! But u know why @Greenup :wink:

3 Likes

Digging the thread OP. Been tinkering with Mephisto and other autos for a bit. Be cool to see the Blood Orange Haze. I currently have a couple of Super Orange Hazes going right now and may start two more. Also have some SOH pollen waiting in the wings that I made prior. Sorry to ramble!

3 Likes

3 bears x Samsquanch! :vulcan_salute:
samsquanch-sam

3 Likes

Sounds like blood orange haze is the winner! I am gonna pop one today. I am also going to pop a double grape I got from the very generous @GCBudz.

On the photoperiod front I got like 60+ cultivars I want to try… How to pick?? I think my mini Bodhi collection needs to get some action. And I think Shark Shock CBD for the girlfriend.

7 Likes

:partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

3 Likes

I would like to start by saying I am not an expert just a real autoflower enthusiast and student of the grow. I do not smoke, vape, or consume edibles, I just love growing cannabis plants especially autoflowers. I would like to offer a couple few suggestions that have worked well for me.

All my autos start in a small 2’ x 2’ x 4’ grow tent with a dimmable 150w LED light fixture. I built a table waist high upon which I placed this tent. That saves my old butt from having to bend over to inspect the plants. This part I feel is really important. A seedling be it an autoflower or photoperiodic variety when first sprouting is putting a ton of energy into producing more roots. The plant is pushing all it’s energy downward to help in that purpose. It is really important that the humidity is kept between 65% and 70% in this small tent to allow the seedling to absorb much needed water through it’s leaves. When they are able to do this you are allowing the roots to use the moisture they’re absorbing to grow new roots but yet still watering the plant itself as it’s absorbing what it needs through it’s leaves.

A second really important aspect of helping seedlings take off is the lighting. Do yourself a favor and purchase a Lux meter or Par meter. I’m old and on a fixed budget so I use a Lux meter from Dr. Meter which cost me about $30 years ago. You can then find a conversion chart on the internet to change Lux readings into Par readings. I just use the Lux meter readings and adjust my light accordingly. Now, a Lux meter is not the same things as a Par meter which we all need to understand. They don’t really do the same thing. But what a Lux meter allows you to do is to position your light at the right height above your plant and using the dimmer (if you hopefully have one) to set the proper light intensity. For me a Lux reading of 6,500 for seedlings has proven time and time again to be ideal (for me) and I am very confident suggesting that reading for your seedlings. This measurement is taken holding the meter right at the canopy of the plant which when a seedling about an inch above the medium. If it’s reading 6,500 Lux you’re golden.

And my final seedling tip is temperature. For me I shoot for 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit (21-23 Celsius) Maintaining that temperature is done by opening and closing the tent. If it gets a bit cold I zip up the door a bit. And of course open it a bit if it gets too warm. Now for me maintaining the humidity and temperature and lighting are the three most important aspects of giving a plant seedling every opportunity to perform to it’s fullest potential. Also I run my light 24/0 for the first 10 days which greatly helps me maintain the temp and humidity. After 10 days I just flip it to 18/6 which is my preferred light schedule for autos.

I apologize for being so long winded it’s just how I’m programmed I think.

10 Likes

The plant in this photo is grappa from Mephisto genetics. When I started this plant in my 2x2 tent I had anticipated harvesting a plant in another tent where this one was going to go. It didn’t work out as planned so this Grappa plant has been growing under 12/12 lighting with one of my flowering photo plants for the last 6ish weeks. Now what I will say about growing Autos in 12/12 lighting is that the plants grow fine and I’m not talking about the flowers. The plants themselves grow quite well. Where you lose out is on the size and quality of the flowers. They just don’t get enough light. But in a pinch you can grow an auto under 12/12 lighting. This one was flipped back to 18-6 just yesterday.

8 Likes

Beautiful plants @Greenup !!! Keep up the good work!

2 Likes