Growduino - environment control system

this is very amazing! One suggestion I could make is add WiFi capability because may be difficult to always run ethernet cable to grow! Excellent work!

1 Like

Hello LegalCanada! My machine is capable of wi-fi connection - everything You have to add is a small router like TP-Link nano. It can be inside Growduino and it’s powerfull enough to connect inhouse or approx 100-200m long distance.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR702N.html

3 Likes

Hello to everyone !

We are looking for a programmer, if You know someone skilled, communicative and diligent, please let me know in PM.

Knowledge about Arduino, Linux, Django, PHP, Postgre SQL needed.

3 Likes

Completely new and our own pH converter, see FCB …and we are working on EC and UPS 2A and 5A also. Hard work guys!

4 Likes

EC converter is here, digital, galvanic separation (pH has it too). It’s a pleasure, work for #Growduino :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Guys - it has been long time, but Growduino V2 is ready! See this
And if You want, You can see my project Growduino V2 - it’s finished and can be manufactured!

Growduino V2
After several years of development, Growduino V2 appears, a new and much more sophisticated version of the device for both manual and automatic, local and remote climate control and device control in closed cultivation environments. It measures everything from temperature and humidity, through water level and water temperature up to light intensity, EC, pH and CO2. It allows you to set up countless amounts of parameters, control lights, ventilation, humidification, irrigation, but also less traditional heating and refill the water, room heating, dehumidification and last but not least, CO2 dosing. Everything is in the graphs in the browser, you can watch and control your growroom from the other end of the world, even over your phone or tablet. By email you receive notifications when something is wrong, no standard device allows this. Growduino V2, of course, has SSL secure communication, you are logged in with the password, no one else gets to your device. Plus mega cool feature! A webcam to help you see what happens in the growroom day and night.

13 Likes

Hi Guys, pleased to anounce - WiFi connectivity is workning from now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Another piece from our own development is OptoBoard. Who knows what it’s for?

7 Likes

Replied on your FB page too.
This is exactly what I’ve been trying to wrap my head around for the past week.
Temperature controlled dimming is my guess.
I got as far as a PID controller. Thermistor and an optocoupler. With the SSR. I was leaning towards Arduino uno. And a pwm to 0-10v BoB. I know jack about code though. If you have achieved this then I tip my hat to you sir. Awesome

No…will wait for other to guess :slight_smile:

Looks like a multi-channel AC/DC load controller.

The input AC is simply converted to provide the output DC control voltage power. Upper connector is the digital control input that is electrically decoupled from the output through the opto-isolators. The optoisolated voltage output drives the solid state relay. Four channels are populated. An actual AC load is not currently wired to the solid state relay.

@anon58740919’s idea has merit, too.

2 Likes

Yes! Northern_Loki like a Boss :slight_smile:

Its simple but very efficient galvanic separation between Arduino/OrangePi and AC loaded SSRs. There are optocouplers on classic Arduino RelayBoard also, but the catch is, that it is powered by the same power source, so whem SSR gets damaged and AC strikes the DC side, it will go not over optocouplers, but over DC power into an Arduino and everything will burn. That’s the reason why we decided to make an OptoBoard with separated power source - to avoid this situation :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi everybody - just proud to say, we are not sleeping, development is on full throttle!

Firmware updates - almost all bugs fixed (except one known), secured smtp login and alerts sending added, much better NTP time synchronizning, Ethernet and also WiFi now treated by much more reliable NetworkManager, all digital sensors read error detection displayed right on display…and many more

Web update - we have nearly finished new webpages - don’t hesitate to visit and take a look :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hi guys, it has been so long time, but we’re working on new Growduino prototype.

The demand is simple - need to have sensors working on long wires. Much longer than 3-5 meters as usual in small growrooms.

So thanks to my friend, electronics developer and engineer, I’m testing Growduino V3, with optional galvanic isolation for all the sensors. And also all of them are digital, not analog. This is crucial in order to get rid of the dependence of the measurement on the cable length and hence changes in the power supply. I have tested 50m long cables for light, temperature&humidity, bulb temperature, water temperature, water level, EC, pH and also CO2 sensors now :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This is a really amazing project! Has sensor technology gotten alot better since you’ve started? They seem more sophisticated in the newer versions.

3 Likes

Yes, this is much better. We stopped using DHT22 because of low reliability in a few last years, and now using BME280 for temperature and humidity. And also galvanically isolated power and communicaton
for all sensors is much more better. Very big difference - 5 meters vs 50 meters sensor cable.

Also it has been very expensive to develop machine like this, so if it can be spreaded into growers community and a few growers buy it from me, I’ll be glad. In this time my family budget is nearly 200K CZK (8000USD) in deficit …You can imagine what my wife is thinking about this project :-DDD

7 Likes

RJ11? Nice choice, I like it!

1 Like

Yes, RJ-11. Simply because it’s very easy to adjust cable lenght and crimp new connectors in seconds.

2 Likes

I see there is a V3 prototype being developed. When do you expect that to be ready for release?

Also, any plans to switch from arduino to circuitpython? If we buy a system can we customize it and access the source code. I would like to redirect/mirror the alerts to a cloud host to blend the data and develop my own charts.

thanks,
EW

1 Like

I have a design for capacitive moisture sensors that you can print to PCBs that can be used with capacitive touch screen sensors on things like a PSOC. I think a $10 PSOC5 dev board could interface like 5-10 of them, and could send the data back using serial over USB.

I never did anything with it, but I could fill you in on the details if you wanted to try it.

1 Like