Growing With Mr.Sparkle : 2021

The dark sparks look beautiful bro. How stable are they??
I grew big devil XL a few years back and they were excellent plants.

5 Likes

Your plants are looking marvelous as always Mr. S… :+1:

I see something in the last shot that begs a question… :thinking:
The Bridgelux strips appear to be different colours. Are you running a mix of CCT?

Inquiring minds… :laughing:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

So so there is a crinkle mutant that pops up which is very easy to spot even in the first couple of days, and also a “willow” fluffy pheno thats easy to spot once flower kicks in other than that there tends to be kinda three main phenos, dark dark purple where the leaves have a underlying tone abit usually a smaller plant, taller purple one where just the buds are purple and a “green” pheno thats usually the biggest though has more solvent smell to it and does colour up at the end, and the smells then to progressively get fruitier and sweeter the more purple the plant is.

7 Likes

I knew about the instability of them but crinkle leafs means nothing. Give them time and they will grow out of it. You bread from the dark devil to make the dark sparks so I thought I’d tell you about my experience with the big devil XL the dark devil was bred from. I bought 25 seeds cheap at the time and didn’t have a bad plant. Didn’t XL though to be honest :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I am, though any need too no what your seeing is 4 x 4000k gen 3 thrives per side mixed in to the 3500k gen 2’s, tried them initially in a side by side just for better color rendering in photos and to my eyes which they do very well though comes at the cost to yield when running at same wattage at what was something like 10-15% less yield and some wheres around 15-20% less lux measurements if i remember correctly on my very initial test, then a little ocd got to me and i just split them between the two lights well technically i think three as i had some in my over flow cab when it was still going all just to make them even.

Color rendering is better even after correction with them vs say lower cri light sourced corrected images cost is less efficiency…

though if i was only out for yield id be running 3000k or under i just liek to view my plants too and that yellow cast also make it hard to see issues so :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Crinkles to me or at least in mine mean something, some do indeed grow out of it and not to say they don’t produce good smoke in the end though those plants tend to not keep pace in anyway compared to their non crinkle companions it just the random cell growth pattern of the leaves kinda slows and stunts them vs the plants that have more symmetrical cell growth to a degree.

So i select and remove those just as id rather focus on the “better” plants persay or should say the ones with higher possibilities no sense starting off with a handicap when i don’t need to.

And the green pheno that comes through thats definitely from their original Big Devil crossing, the crinkle was recessive that popped up in the gen 2’s and was a good learning experience.

7 Likes

Did you notice the greener plant grew bigger???
I feel I’m pulling your strains to bits but that’s not how it is. Knowing the heritage is something I can share and figured you’d want. The dark sparks has been used countless amount of times breeding autos. :+1:

2 Likes

Oh forsure ask away, and yes the green always grew bigger also tended to be a bit fluffier though always out paced the others in end yield.

2 Likes

Not as pretty though right? :wink:

2 Likes

Im just at the point now where i believe i can positively select plants for more favourable and outcomes with higher chances of the intentions, vs throwing some pollen around in good intentions.

… well also depends on what you define as pretty i like them i also do love the purple buds though really enjoy any that have a color change at the end regardless of that color as its like a surprise .

5 Likes

I’ve no doubt about your experience and definitely class you as a breeder @Mr.Sparkle. You help so many people with what you do. Keep produducing them seeds and handing them out like you do :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks for the comment, im not sure i classify myself as a breeder yet though that also depends on what a person defines as a breeder, as really anyone who crosses two different plants with a defined plan or half expected outcome would be a breeder i just may hold myself to higher standards when i shouldn’t lol, the conundrums of life.

Also to note the purples in the dark sparks there seems to be two kinda different color ways, one has a very red under tone to the purple and when growing is a very beautiful color though its progresses to brown in older plants finishing out and in dried cured form as a plant it coincides with alot of other traits that i like. The other has a darker black like base to it that also goes into the leaves those when they finish out they go more black with a purple hue than the purple they start with they also tend to have alot more fruity floral smells to the sickly sweet side that pops out on more occasions.

Im just ready to carry them on, refine them or move away from them if needed at this point, just need to put some focus into my own project that may likely lead no where or i should say end in not desired outcomes though with learning and unexpected outcomes in the process.

13 Likes

I’ve been wondering what those film strip numbers. were for!

Got one on my note + beans .

Just noticed the f & c lol . Convenient

That cola has two heads !

3 Likes

Opened the grow cab door and nearly got knocked over by a yummy aroma I never smelt before. Cab is running hot, couple days of heat wave left.

Trizzlerz are filling in, very impressive @Mr.Sparkle

18 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle received Trizzlers from you today ,)
Much appreciated :pray: :relaxed:

4 Likes

lol yeah temp strips, paste them to whatever you want, and indeed it does.

3 Likes

As a reminder @Calix, just peel off the paper behind it, it is an adhesive strip! Thanks @Mr.Sparkle!

1 Like

Anything purple has total bag appeal. Usually when it’s purple the taste is very fruity tasting I’ve found. I know your not growing to profit but over here if I show a purple bud even though the THC % is lower the premium will be higher than say a proper grown gg#4 or similar :roll_eyes:
Its stupid when you think about it. :rofl:

6 Likes

Eye appeal, also potency to me is kinda a moot point as you can change from one strain to another and it can rock your socks off even if considered lower or say a high potency strain may do little if you’ve been consuming it alot.

Mind you all effects me at my non existent consumption as of the last half of the year.

11 Likes

lol @Mr.Sparkle I gotta tell ya cuz, it’s always such a pure pleasure to come see your cab growing set up! Everything is always nice-n-neat, clean to the bone and the plants so healthy and pretty! You sir, are an icon! Hat’s off and kudos of a high order to ya, indeed!

9 Likes