Holy's Garden (Part 1)

Boooo! :angry:
Discovered the beginnings of a spidermite infestation thanks to a sage plant that got brought inside a couple weeks ago :see_no_evil:

Stripped most every affected fan leaf and soaked every single plant, over and under, in captain jacks deadbug brew aka spinosad. Got to hit em again tomorrow and every 3 days after that for at least another week :crossed_fingers: May try and pick up some neem oil or something else, idea’s welcome for spidermite control. I lost the Kryptontie and Milky Way mom’s too but I got clones of the MW at least. Gotta take one of the Kryptonite before flower. Thankfully the other mom’s and the flower tent were spared.

In actual good news, the StarShine #2 girl at day 37 :heart_eyes:

32 Likes

That should work

I use capt jacks as well
I went 2x s a day for a week then once a day for a few more just in case

If you can bottom feed and keep top on soil dry helps

Also if you make compost tea spray the leaves and top of soil

12 Likes

Ah ok that’s good news. The nice thing is these aren’t cannabis specific, two spotted mites. These are standard black Cthulhu looking spider mites so the spinosad seems effective.

I always bottom feed but the soil usually stays wet constantly :thinking: I may try and give them some dry cycles then…

I’ve also read it’s best to just take the plants out of the pots, rinse them off, soak in a bucket of soapy/spinosad/miticide water for a half hour or so, rinse them again, and then replant them with new soil in new pots. My back has been messed up too much to do that right now though and that seems a bit drastic but I’ve not dealt with these before.

18 Likes

That StarShine is looking amazing! Sorry about the spider mite problem, I am pretty consistent with spraying neem oil once a week in veg and into the first week or two of flower and it seems to keep the bad bugs away. My grow area is essentially an outbuilding/barn and I go in and out of the space without too much worry compared to some folks who change their clothes etc. before going into their grow space. It’s worked out so far until it doesn’t I guess.

10 Likes

Dr zymes bro…mix the strong dose…3 days on a row…dead mites and eggs

4 Likes

I was literally just mixing up a batch. Here is the recipe that @nube recommended. Bodhi Testers Summer 2020 - Passionfruit Hasplant (Lush X 88G13/HP) - #56 by beacher

When I see mite activity I spray this brew and Capt jacks each once a week. Once I don’t see any activity for a few weeks then only the organic IPM brew once a week. Bummer!

13 Likes

Oh interesting! I’m one that usually changes clothes :sweat_smile: glad to know the neem is useful tho and how long you use it for.

@Jamescoldflame Nice, will pick up some of that and see ^^

@CrunchBerries oh awesome! Will see about that too. I’m sure my wife has some of these oils around the house :thinking:

Thanks for the info all!

11 Likes

I’ve only dealt with the 2 spotted shits. My space is not a clean one, and I was pretty casual about spraying for 6 months. I could control them, but not get rid of them. That got old :frowning:

Breaking the cycle was the deal.
ctn070

I used Azamax, an azadiractin/neem product, but found out it had other stuff in it I didn’t like, plus it’s owned by Scotts/Hawthorne. I finished up with a neem extract from a box store. Neem acts as an anti-feedant and only kills the larvae and adults, not the eggs. The eggs hatch out every 3-5 days.

Apparently the adults can go into diapause if they’re stressed, like being hunted, for up to a year!

My space is impossible to give a real cleansing, so I sprayed 3x over 10 days, every 30 days. Took 10 months before I was sure they were gone.

I’m sure your space is easier to control.

12 Likes

hmm I had read some mention the Azamax but I haven’t looked into it yet. I just know I don’t wanna use anything systemic that could affect the plant or flowers over the next few months as I plan to flower out 3 of them soon.

Thanks for the graphic and you’re experience! It sounds like I need to be spraying every 2 days then. Tonight instead of tomorrow :thinking: Will try that while I wait for the neem oil and seeing about those other essentials too…

I can’t really say anything about scotts as I grow solely with maxibloom :sweat:

8 Likes

Run of the mill spider mites are pretty easy to control with organic essential oils. The recipe Crunch mentioned has worked in the past when I’ve had them. I only use Spinosad if I see thrips.

Luckily in our organic gardens, once you get hypoapsis and rove beetles established, they take care of most of the soil-borne pests. I’m not ultra clean, but regular sprays at transplant times usually take care of everything. If you have an ongoing issue, spraying with the organic essential oil IPM once a week until day 14 after flip to flower will knock out basically everything except for russets/broad mites. For those, you use wettable sulfur mixed with water by itself, but only in veg.

14 Likes

Oooh very good to know! I had wondered on the spinosad itself as most have said its not really effective for spider mites and that it’s mainly for thrips. It seems effective so far but what you’re saying makes sense. Sounds like I should definitely drop it as soon as I can and focus on the oil’s instead…

Does that mix need sprayed at lights out or rinsed off after a certain time or anything?

Thank you much for the info!

11 Likes

Spray only at lights out and let it dry before putting back under intense light. No rinse required. Follow the instructions at the link for using only organic oils, water and castille soap. You’ll want to spray it weekly for the next couple months, at least, just to be sure.

14 Likes

Well, I’m waiting on the essential oils to be delivered. I went to the local grow shop in the meantime and ended up getting/being talked into the Azamax, aka neem seed extract, since it effects all forms of mites.

I sprayed that first day and haven’t seen anything alive since then but went ahead and sprayed again last night, 2 days later. The bottle says every 5-7 days but can spray sooner if bugs present… I know the life-cycle for spider mites is every ~2 days so figured just stay on it with that cycle. Last time I followed directions for the spinosad(every 5 days) and it wasn’t effective until I ignored that and sprayed more often, so figure it’d be the same deal here.

So far so good

Tri Force all bouncing back to form. So far I’m seeing like a 60/40 spread on Kryptonite vs TK leaners but still hard to tell. It’ll be a little easier to spot the one’s that are coming out like her once I can take clones and see how those grow out. Comparing clone to clone is A LOT easier. The clones of my StarShine male used for the ssdd bx1’s looks almost identical to the clones of his SSDD F2 #1 mom, but as a seed plant you couldn’t really see that.

I was hoping the TK leaf morphology would be more prominent in these, like finding plants with 3 or 5 bladed leaves only, but I’m guessing that is a double recessive trait as ALL of these plants are coming out with 7 bladed leaves :thinking: Granted I could’ve just grabbed the 11 seeds that don’t show that trait and it actually does exist in this line, but statistically I’d think I’d at least get 1 showing out of 11 if it is truly in there. Part of me really wants to cull all the fat bladed plants and pop more seeds as I honestly don’t think any of them will have what I’m looking for, but I really need to see at least one flowered out before I start making drastic decisions for the line. Sometimes the mix and match of dna won’t do what you think :wink:

The Two Milky Way’s, Kryptonite #1, and NorthStar #4 are still getting ready for flower in a couple more weeks. Need at least another week or two of spraying azamax, and then up-pot before I can flower them out. Not trying to risk bugs in the flower tent, but also can’t afford to throw these out and start over. Cabinet’s getting real low :cry:

Gotta take another clone of the kryptonite and maybe the ns4 before flower just to make sure they stay around…

Flower tent is doing really good! I’m thinking of setting up something with the ecowitt gateway. Soil moisture sensors and such. I went back to flooming the reservoir, just having a small pond pump at the bottom of the reservoir pointing up disturbing the water surface in order to keep it oxygenated. And then I set the flood timing to start half an hour after lights come on and flood for 4 minutes, then repeat 5 hours later, and then 5 hours after that, and then once during lights off about 7hrs after last flooding which should be about 7hrs before the next flooding when lights come back on. Basically trying to give the girls a bit more of a dry cycle as oppose to staying constantly wet. I’d eventually like to have it all automated. It’ll turn the pump on whenever the driest pot needs it, but that’s going to be a bit of a process to get to and I haven’t even started yet.

29 Likes

Nice! I’m wondering if I’ll see any big time similarities in tk dominant phenos of the TriForce and (TK X donkey dawg) that I dropped at the same time.
And the watering of my coco I really wish I could set up an automatic feed system I love love hydro but the house I live in was built in 1850 and the grow room is upstairs so it’s difficult to imagine how I can run the water line up to that room because this house was not set up with that as a plan, probably weren’t planning for water downstairs. I carry multiple 5 gallons up the stairs everyday for my coco and it’s got me in good shape lol. I’m gonna be running some organic stuff (also for the runoff of my septic) in 1 tent to try and compare but if it’s not working for me then fuck it cuz my hydro has clicked lately.

3 Likes

@HolyAngel

Just wanted to shoot you a quick thank you. i switched nutrients, VBX to GH maxibloom with silica, gypsum and sulfur.

Screenshot_20221007-095324
The mix has worked great. Need to pre mix the GH in hot water, keeps clogging my air lines with undissolved granules but working great for the price. Not sure if you still use the above but big thanks. :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

@CosmoNut
Awesome, I’m glad it’s working for you! It’s all I use :wink:

@Weedison
Aw man that’s rough! I’m in the basement and there’s an exposed cold water line in the same room. I bought an ‘ice maker water line kit’ from lowes and tapped the pipe and that’s how I fill up all my stuff. Bought a pond pump and 50ft of hose to drain the reservoir into the basement bathroom sink or out the window to the yard. If I have to carry a 5 gallon bucket, it’s only for 3-4ft :sweat_smile: Hopefully you can get something figured out to make that easier, but hey least you’re staying in shape lol.

9 Likes

So apparently they want you to spray the azamax every 5-7 days because spraying every 2 days will mess up your plants :sweat_smile: Nothing too bad though.

Tri Force (Triangle Kush x (NL2 x 89NL))- Day 34 of veg

I have not seen a single bug since the first spray, done two so far and the next one is coming today or tomorrow. No sign of genders yet either.

Milky ways, Kryptonite, and NorthStar #4

Should be good in a week or so :crossed_fingers:
I’m still tempted to pull the big plants here, wash off all the coco, and spray them down root tip to leaf tip with the azamax, then repot them into new pots with new coco before flowering. Just to be sure no bugs. Just need my back to be feeling better in order to do so :confused:

The Tri Force up there are still looking mostly like NL to me. Like a 60/40 split between the fat 89NL and the thinner NL2 plants. I’m not really seeing much if any TK features. Every single plant has 7 bladed fan leaves. The TK clone only ever puts out 5s at most. I do see that growth pattern on some of the side branches though. Clones never grow like the seed plant so maybe we can still get there visually once clones are cut.

Flower tent still chugging along. Still messing with flood timings. I’m now at 5minutes every 8 hours.

StarShine #2 (SSDD F2 #1 x (A5 s1 x 89 NL5)) - Day 42

Fading hard as EC is only 2.2-2.3 in order to not burn the SSDD F2 girl.

SSDD F2 #1 - Day 38

39 Likes

Ooooo those SSDD’s look very nice!! That sounds real nice, my basement is far too gone I wish I could do that, That’s where my water tank/pump is and all. But across the street from my house I own 7 acres and there’s big flat concrete with water,electric, septic hook up. They Used to have a Mobile home on it years ago. I’m hoping as the laws progress here I’ll be able to find an investor to put a building there for me cuz it’s ready and im ready.

5 Likes

Alright, I vaguely separated these out to the two main phenotypes I’m seeing so far for this pic.

First criteria is BLD vs NLD. Second criteria will be amount of leaf blades.
Less blades should lean more TK, more blades should lean more Kryptonite.
Thin leaves should lean more TK, fat leaves should lean more kryptonite.
So best case is finding thin leaved plant with 7 or less bladed leaves.

All of these Tri Force are putting out at least 7 bladed leaves. Some are hitting 9 and 11 blades. The TK cut only ever puts out 5 bladed leaves at most. Was pretty sure the male only put out 7 blades… Had me worried until I went back through my pics and found the other Kryptonite girl I ran

See any resemblance to those Tri Force? ^^

11 bladed, frosty leaves from the get go. So those traits seem to be coming from the Kryptonite and not the TK. Unless you’re seeing something different, it’s making me think either the TK is really recessive, or the kryptonite male was just really dominant :thinking:

29 Likes

Wow absolutley see the similarities there, Nice to know the way the traits lean as I watch these, too small to compare the leafs like that yet for me.

4 Likes