Holy's Garden (Part 1)

Yeah it’s too late already. I like to soak at like 75% to 90% full… As-is the moon is gonna be getting weaker after today. Plus I already started some other beans so gonna need a couple weeks to sort through those. Next month though :wink:

14 Likes

If you end up needing more hit me up - I’ve got a 10pack from that overgrow preservation in the fridge.

10 Likes

Thank you much! :heart:
Hopefully I don’t need them at all with the amount I have left but if I get there I’ll let ya know :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

You’d hope with 80 left! :crossed_fingers: for the next run!

5 Likes

Full moon tonight @HolyAngel :wink:

Edit: looks like @VAhomegrown beat me to it!

6 Likes

Bit nervous after seeing this image + horse’s issues a few weeks ago. Also remember this post from V2 of the B thread by @ElGalloBlanco .

I’m guessing it’s not uncommon in SSDD F1s?

Assuming my SSDD male doesn’t throw pistils and all goes well you’re welcome to enough to sort through if you need / run out of sebring as well.

10 Likes

Heh, ouch! That’s a nice looking male too! But yeah definitely a cause for concern in my book.

I ran 3 packs of the F1’s and never saw any herms whatsoever but I didn’t run out any of the males. Only the girls. My F2 girl is as solid as they come, I’ve ran her out at least 9 times myself and never a single ball nor nanner anywhere, no seeds ever found.

19 Likes

And I was so looking forward to try and get my grubby lil hands on some of the SSDD beans.

4 Likes

That seems to be a common misconception.
https://www.gardenmyths.com/gypsum-improve-clay-soil/

Gypsum is great for providing readily available Calcium to plants without raising pH, but doesn’t actually break up clays. It’s my understanding that can only be done with organic material, like compost.

There’s a great thread by slownickle on icmag all about gypsum.

Clays are different, too. Down here in the South, red clay is good stuff, perks great. Yellow and grey, not so much, if at all.

But, that clay does retain a lot of water, so it can be helpful to keep some in your holes.

All that said, I love gypsum :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Interesting you got pistils popping, too. No stressors? Mine may have been timer induced, but after yours showing, I’m not sure?

I harvested the sacs off the really trichy male today… trichy and very sticky. Not sure if I’ll do anything with it, but hated to trash it , lol!

If you really want to plant by the moon, the full moon’s too late. New moon, or waxing, is where it’s at :slight_smile:

The rest of your tribe are looking fabulous!

9 Likes

It really depends on what that clay is holding on its CEC sites. If it’s saturated with Mg, then the Ca will indeed break up the clay by replacing the smaller Mg particles with larger Ca molecules.

12 Likes

Definitely waxing. Ive had some of my worst germination rates ever when trying to soak on the new moon. Even with veggies.

I did have a timer fuck up for one day two weeks ago, and then I lowered the light from 11hrs to 9hrs a few days ago but that’s it. Could definitely be from the light change but if that’s all it takes to make pistils all over every top bud… I definitely felt sad tossing him but I just can’t go forward with a plant that does that.

I’ve had all kinds of plants herm in my flower tents but that f2 girl has remained :100: stable. I’m positive there’s a male in these beans that will be the same.

18 Likes

Godspeed you @HolyAngel !

11 Likes

The hallmark of someone who knows what they’re doing with breeding. How many pack sellers would take a dollar and time hit to make sure they got it right like that?

14 Likes

I’m curious about that, do you have any citations that speak to that? I know Ca pushes off Mg, but I haven’t seen proven evidence it actually breaks the clay up.

6 Likes

Well, you gotta hold your mouth just right, lol!

I fucked mine up for almost 2 weeks at 10/14… then jumped back to 16/8, d’oh!

7 Likes

Slownickel’s tread on ICMag discusses it. I think it’s briefly mentioned in Solomon’s book The Intelligent Gardener as well. Likely also in Tiedjens More Food from Soil Science. Tiedjens is the Ca king. :grin:

That being said, I would also add sand to help with the clay texture.

11 Likes

Yeah, I think it may be cause for concern but not sure it should stop anybody from continuing to search through the line looking for a nice male. The two males I flowered out were outdoors through the winter months so that may have had something to do with the one nicer looking male throwing a few pistils here and there as it definitely wasn’t optimal growing conditions. I don’t recall there be any on the other male although I wasn’t paying as much attention to it compared to the other.

7 Likes

Flower Day 12

I’ve bumped the light up to 500w at ~15 inches as we’re getting close to flowers starting to set in and I’m trying to have an even canopy. I’ve still been lightly crushing the stems on all the tallest nodes every other day or so in order to keep stretch contained. The TK that normally stretches 4x easily, is 12 days into flower and has only doubled in height with much better node spacing than I had the first time I ran her. I’ve swapped the place of the SSDD F2 #1 and the #7 for lighting reasons. #1 still pissed off but finally growing out of it. I’m 90% positive she is the same pheno as my #1 girl. Stem rubs are the same, branching is really fckn close… see how this flower turns out…

Speaking of… TK(left) vs 91HPK/TCPK(Right)

The Hollywood/Topanga Canyon PK has much better branching than the TK does but everything else is pretty much the same between the two. However, the TK has quite a bit more cystolithic trichomes all over the stems and petioles that the HPK/TCPK does not. In fact, literally everything in here actually has more of that than this HPK/TCPK cut does. My initial hypothesis is, the lack of those trichomes likely means this cut is going to be noticeably less potent than everything else in here that does have them but have no true evidence to backup that statement. I just know all the really potent plants I’ve grown, have them. Stems look hairy af… I wasn’t paying enough attention before on the less potent plants to know if the lack of “hairs on the stem”/cystolithic trichomes, also meant less potent or not. Could mean nothing :man_shrugging: :man_scientist:

And then here’s a closer shot of JJ’s Nigerian Haze

This plant definitely wants to stretch like crazy. She has the thinnest stem walls I’ve come across so far. Straight straws. It is super easy to crush her stems completely. Stems and petioles are absolutely covered in those hairs/cystolithic trichomes very much like the TK and my SSDD F2 #1 girl.

In other news, here’s some more TriForce #1. Couple hits of this and you don’t need to smoke for a few hours afterwards :grin:

This is the keeper cut of the four. Sour Kush and Gas. Taste is mostly hashy unfortunately. Beautiful daytime high no sluggishness. The #4 is a little tastier but more rubber and gas with a stony, less-functional high so not keeping that one. We’ll see how she stacks against her mom(TK) and that HPK/TCPK.

46 Likes

Suuucks to hear about that male & months of time lost bro. Super cool though to see your level of dedication to the project/plant & doing things correctly. That is a rare human phenotype/trait :metal:

P.s. that triforce sounds siiick, no sluggishness is where it’s at.

11 Likes