How do I get all these seeds out of the bud?

That’s an interestingeresting piece of equipment, I just picked up a free shop vac last night of Facey book marketplace. I don’t need one of these yet, but I enjoy building things like this :+1:

8 Likes

This thing is such a time saver for sorting , even small seed batches. I recently separated 1000’s of seeds in like ten minutes LOL. I will never do it by hand again

8 Likes

I will probably build one next year if things go to plan, anything that saves a lot of time I like :wink:

3 Likes

I usually use 3 totes and a fan to do wind winnowing for seeds after I’m rubbed the bud between gloved hands (after running it all through a dry sift tumbler), but I’m about to make one of the realseeds designed seed cleaners.
Anyone have any advise or experience with them?

3 Likes

My advice is to get it done before I send you my bag of ABC seeds! That way you can test it out!

Separating seeds is way worse than trimming.

4 Likes

Nah trimming is still worse.

2 Likes

I watched a video w @Subcool RIP and he used something Similar to separate the seeded bud and I believe a shop vac for suction

2 Likes

I have always just used a plate and a card. As long as the bud is dry they come out easy enough. As for what you can do with the bud pieces …I smoked a lot of seeded bud in my time. I just go thru it as usual. Cure as usual and smoke as always done if I seeded it.

From the SSDD f3’s I seeded last time by the SLBXv2 I got about 3 ounces of bud and probably 300 seed. it will be fun to search those.

2 Likes

I completely agree. Getting out a couple hundred is no big deal but several thousand is a true labor of love. Thanks for the ABC beans @Tommy_McCain! And thanks for your tireless work @Sebring!

4 Likes

Very true…otoh you could glean the idea that seeded bud is worthless the way this thread runs too. Not true. Not everyone is able to seed the world…we can grow a little smoke and make our own seeds too. And share them if we find something special.

Postulate-A 100 little personal growers likely has a better chance of sharing a special strain vs one commercial grower

2 Likes

To clarify, he’s talking about the time sink and physical effort for shucking beans. He’s also right that it’s a labor of love to deseed 20+ fully seeded plants.

This is THE core tenant of my work! Put beans in everyone’s hands, without any artificially created criteria of exclusion, and you’re going to end up with many safely preserved, some doing line breeding and some doing new experimental crosses. It’s the best way to preserve and advance the best strains.

14 Likes

Thats what makes you so special brother your all about sharing and spreading the love.Looking to work a few clones of your MWCB to make a batch of fem seeds and an auto version as well as a few photoperiod crosses with it.Your MWCB will get lots of loving and sharing from the great white north.

5 Likes

uk-pollen-extractor

I keep thinking this scenario makes good sense for seed/kief extraction - bigger outer screen for kief, inset one about the size shown with a 2-3mm stainless mesh. Throw it in the freezer, flick it on and let it run. Probably need some paddles in the center.

Then you’ve grabbed your seeds + kief in one simple operation…

6 Likes

I’m pretty high, but this guy is feeding birds seeds then somehow collecting the leftovers and making it back into seeds? My mind is blown here lol

@Hephaestus if you tumbled seeded dry bud in one of those for a while you could probably just open it up and pour the seeds out…even with just the one screen.

2 Likes

Yeah I was high af yesterday trying to watch it and was confused/mind-blown at the same time…
Still not sure what I was looking at :rofl:

1 Like

It’s a machine that turns bird seed into…bird seed? Why doesn’t he just cut out the middleman (bird) and put the seed right into the seed making machine??

This guy is on an island somewhere just sitting on billions of $$$ worth of bird seed haha

2 Likes

I did read the BCseeds article on it and they said the only flaw in the design was the ability to open it up to clean. With that in mind, a full piece of plexiglass and on one side attach a piano hinge to the plexiglass and frame. Attach a clasp on the other side which will allow you to open the cover to clean.

1 Like

Kinda what I thought but I also like to keep things as separated as possible :rofl: avoids stoner moments… Plus you’ll probably get some seeds that sneak through anyway.

1 Like

This is exactly the device I started with. Before the plastic tub shattered (it’s NOT freezer safe), it was awesome for small quantities of bud, like 1 ounce max. I would fill the tube with bud, freeze the tube for a couple hours, then run it for 1-2 hours. Then I thought I’d just toss the tube in the plastic box and run it in the freezer. It worked even better and faster, then the plastic shattered. :crazy_face:

By the time it shattered (9 months), I needed to increase my volumes so I got a
pollenex dry sift tumbler 500 which they sold off to “Bubble Magic”.
I removed the fabric micron mesh and the cylinder banding. Then I replaced with a sheet of metal micron mesh and some giant worm-screw clamps.
Just replaced the motor after 3 years and it only cost about $20.

I can usually run an entire outdoor plant at once and for smaller plants I can fit 2 plants in it!
[I’m running enough plants for seed making now, that I just wouldn’t be able to keep giving seeds away without the thing.]

12 Likes

does anyone know where i could find one of these bird seed recyclers like the one bodhi uses? without having to make one that is… ?