How do I get all these seeds out of the bud?

Yeah I’ve put enough rubbermaid totes in the freezer to know you’ve got to be careful with that. But for overgrow style seed runs - it’s pretty scalable no real crazy hard to find parts. To me this method makes the most sense.

2 Likes

So… we’ve discussed how to get the seeds out in here, and another thread about how to store the seeds, but I’m not finding much on what to do in between those two steps.

I just harvested almost 1000 seeds after doing a hang dry for two weeks. I’ve separated out the seeds from plant matter and have been drying them at ~65F/~45% RH.

Is this fine?

How long do they need to dry before it’d be safe to store them in a seed fridge(40F) or send out to others for growing?

is cold stratification necessary for 90+% germination rates or is just drying for a couple weeks sufficient?

If cold, how long? A month?

Any info here would be greatly appreciated. I’ve scoured through a few books and posts so far and just can’t seem to find anything definitive.

3 Likes

Yes that’s fine for drying, I like to give them about a week like that before long term storage.

In my experience, yes. Just drying for a week or two before sending out and/or sticken them in the fridge.

6 Likes

Ok great! That is good to hear. So my seeds should basically be ready then… will try and start a few and go from there, thank you for the quick response! :heart:

6 Likes

What ReikoX said +1 :+1:

There is a guideline that the sum of temperature (F) and the RH should not exceed ‘100’. It is important to remember that the RH goes up as the temperature goes down and it is better if the sum is lower. (Boyle’s law etc)

Relative humidity (RH) influences the moisture content of the seed (if it is not stored in moisture-proof containers). For example, at 15%RH, seeds will dry down to 6 percent moisture.
So basically, a little desiccant, let them stabilize a week or two, vacuum pack & a store in the fridge (or freezer).

Cheers
G

5 Likes