How do I get all these seeds out of the bud?

I have a few branches that were hand pollinated and have been cut and dried.
I’d like to harvest the seeds and send them out, but I’d rather not lose all the goodies off the flowers in the process.
My options so far:
Clean or grind the flowers over a dry sift screen, pull out the seeds and hope to get the trich head on or through the screen.
Then make butter or coconut or or or the 710 route.
Or should I just clean it by hand, pull out the seeds and then through the leftover shredded flower into butter or BHO?

I guess it comes down to, once I remove the seeds- how useful is the remaining flower? Is it worth while to make butter or try BHO with it?
I’d rather do extracts than smoke the flowers.

Curious to hear your experiences and opinions.

*and once I get these done, there should be some 20 packs going out.
It’s Kalichakra and some Nirvana Northern Lights in different combinations.

These will be kept sorted, but I have others from the same plants that I didn’t sort that I’m just calling ‘bag seed’ that I want to send out as well. But I want to do some germ tests first.

14 Likes

By chance do you have any pictures of the Kalichakra plants. I’ve got a package unopened that’s quite old thinking I should be doing something before it’s too late .

Regarding the buds after seed removal several methods of using it from hash to dry sift , butter what ever works fine .

5 Likes

Use a frisbee!

Then make edibles :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Sorry, I don’t have any pics handy. And I think my seeds were probably a few years old, but the germ rates were good.
The KC is a nice solid sativa, but it not real racy like the SSSDH I had.
It’s my first time with the strain, and I’ve only had some small samples off a plant that wasn’t at 100% of it’s potential. But I’ve been happy with it so far.
Nice SN btw… :grinning:

5 Likes

Ugh…frig…was the worst part of my seed run. Getting seeds out of the buds and then separating the seeds from plant material. Don’t miss that chore at all. I let mine get bone, bone, bone dry and then just crushed all the buds. Used 2 bins and a ribbed turkey pan…bin 1 held everything, would shake it while tilted to get seeds to fall to one side…grab all the seeds and whatever bits of plant material that fell to the tilted side and put into bin 2…shook bin 2 while tilted to get mostly seeds to one side again…scraped seeds and minimal plant material onto the top of the tilted turkey pan…plant material got stuck on the ribs and seeds “flowed” to the bottom of the pan…throw everything (but the cleaned seeds) back into bin 1…repeat 1,000,000 times. Good grief.

Best of luck!

16 Likes

I have album covers for that! :grin:

But that begs the question - if it would work for butter, would it be worth doing BHO?

I’ll probably end up doing both, but I don’t want to waste an ounce of flower if it’s not worth it.
(and I really like dry sift! :yum:)

4 Likes

Get your trim bin out, turn it lengthways, put one side at an angle (I set mine between me and a table, propped up at the table end) and slowly hand shuck the seeds out of the very dry buds at the top end of the tray. If you use a 30degree angle or so, the seeds fall down to the bottom while the bud crumble stays at the top. This also collects all the trichs thru the screen.

You don’t have to be gentle, but the gentler you are the more of the seed’s outer “tiger striped” shell coating is preserved. This has no benefit in practice, so if yours gets rubbed off, don’t worry - the seeds will still be fine if dried an extra week in a space out of direct sunlight, then stored in the crisper drawer of the fridge in an airtight jar or box with some silicate packs included to soak up residual humidity.

The crumble isn’t great to smoke, but can be vaped. It’s probably best to use in extracts, either butter, alcohol, or bho like you mentioned. But any aborted seeds will impact the flavor.

13 Likes

Yea, do what you have to to get the seeds out, just keep all the trim and use for what ever hash/extraction/butter. You won’t lose anything if you catch all the trimmings and keef.

5 Likes

Once I get all the seeds out of the flower I throw the remaining flower in with my trim and make bubble hash. But you can make bho, edibles or any concentrate with it.

8 Likes

I can attest to that ! All my seeded shit will be used to mix tinctures seed and all are going right into the magical bitter machine and getting filtered in the end

4 Likes

Just don’t use a grinder or a hammer to get them out and you should be all good!! Lol :laughing:

4 Likes

I like to take a toothpick while the buds are still a little pliable. I will start at the bottom of the bud working all the way around, and then towards the top. If you do this carefully you can get 85% of the seeds out of the pods without disturbing the resins too much.

If the buds are dryer just focus on the ones you can see near the outside of the bud, and wait to collect the others when you are breaking up a bud to smoke.

The buds are just fine to smoke. If the buds were heavily seeded once all the seeds are removed they are airier or wispy but the smoke is good.

4 Likes

I actually have had good luck using an older cheapie grinder that’s plastic and has pyramid shaped teeth. If you’re really gentle and have a good touch, you can ‘massage’ the seeds out and split the grinder like you’d crack and eggshell and let the seeds fall out. Then repeat with slightly firmer pressure to get to the next layer of seeds and repeat til it’s clean.
That’s how I collected all the previous seeds as I worked my way through the first batches. But gods have mercy- those tiny black, immature seeds are horrible. They’ll slip through and absolutely ruin the taste.

I wouldn’t try that with my Spacecase though. The cheapie grinder is round and somewhat larger than a golf ball.

4 Likes

That’s pretty ballsy :laughing: I’ve accidentally ruined a bunch of seeds in my grinder but I use a sc shredder. A hammer would be even worse lol… I just throw on some disposable gloves and break the weed up by hand. It’s pretty easy and you don’t have to be to careful if your seeds are good and matured properly

5 Likes

Dry really well, kitchen sift, rub and crush in sift until all you got is seeds and sticks.

2 Likes

I do the same thing as @nube only I use a 12x24 dry sift screen instead of the trim bin because it is bigger. I then make bubble hash rosin from the scraps and smoke whatever collects under the screen.

2 Likes

put those buds in a relatively dry place and let the seeds dry in the bud until the leaves get dry and crispy. it will take time but its better for the seeds to dry slowly. if you have a sizeable amount of seeds, build a seed cleaner.

4 Likes

This is an AWESOME thread! I’ve got my Herijuana x (Black Widow x Sensi Star)'s just about done and this is my first foray into seed making and so Ive been curious as to how to best get the seeds out, without fetching up the flower material…VERY informational folks! Thanks!

Now I have a question: someone mentioned extracting the seeds in a way that would rub off or disturb the tiger stripe coating…? I have been checking the seeds for maturity and I’ve been looking for the telltale striping on the seeds, dark in color. But could it be that I’m rubbing off the coating while extracting the seeds? Am I even looking for the right attributes to determine seed maturity?

4 Likes

Yeah a longer trim tray would work better for sure @ReikoX. I just hand shucked about a gazillion seeds from my Pura Vida F2 run and let me tell you, it’s a major labor of love. Like @Farmerjoe420 said, I may have to invest in one of those Bird Seed Recyclers that @bodhi just posted about on IG:

Prolly cheaper than building one, if you can find them. The company’s out of business. Here’s the owner reviewing one:

@randrobertson522 almost all seeds will have some brindle tiger striping, but it’s strain-dependent. Some landraces are just black, brown, or gray. Some varieties even produce very light gray seeds that look white and immature but are in fact fully mature. You may be scraping off the tiger striping, but to be sure, let the little buds dry before you crack them open to check for sure.

11 Likes

i think that guy was threatened to be sued for selling those because the design was already patened by these guys. they were really affordable too, i think around $100. i built one recently, anyone with with some basic wood working skills should be able to build one no problem

https://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedcleaner.html

18 Likes