How do you coffee?

For me it’s those things, medium ground, medium roast, splash of cream.

I love the kettle and beehouse dripper. I wish I had a better grinder, but it’s like the goldfish that won’t die at this point. I don’t buy new shit then the old stuff still works anymore. It’ll teach me a lesson to buy a nicer one next time. :joy:

I’ve also had a v60, French press and aeropress, but the beehouse has become my old faithful.

7 Likes

I generally make flask coffee from organic whole roasted beans ground to a #23 with my conical burr grinder, but I’ve tried everything from countertop drip machines to high end espresso makers to french presses, percolators, and pourovers. Even stovetop espresso makers. I’ve stuck with the chemex flasks since they make my favorite cup no matter the beans.

Today I mix half caffeinated and half swiss water decaf so I don’t get too much caffeine. I’m pretty sensitive to almost everything, and full strength is too much for me despite only drinking about 20oz of coffee a day.

My beans come from www.freshroastedcoffee.com and my buddy’s new coffee roasterie www.levitocoffee.com. I get 5lbs of light roast organic fair trade freshroastecoffee stuff for about $7/lb delivered and it’s exceptional. The El Salvadorean is a great one. The Huehuetenango is another exceptional roast. I also like the Sidamo. From Levito, their Rum Infused is the most delicious flavored coffee I’ve ever had, bar none.

No matter what I get, it gets immediately put in sealed 1/2gal mason jars as soon as I get it, then put in my cold cannabis curing cupboard, where it stays 60-65F. I only take out enough to use for the week, and grind it per use every morning.

These days I use Coffee Socks instead of paper filters, since it’s impossible to find organic unbleached paper filters. The Coffee Socks are a little more hassle, but they make a good cup and I’ve had mine for over a year with no big complaints.

5 Likes

The beans on my Kona Coffee tree are getting red. I may have enough for a pot this year! Have only gotten 4-8 beans the last few years. Will need to figure out how to process and roast!

10 Likes

Ahh!! the old reliable Bonavita electric kettle. I think I’ve seen a timer feature on a version or that version of kettle. @lefthandseeds

Generally, I would order an espresso or cappuccino at a coffee shop, since those I cannot make here at home properly. So a machine like an espresso would be something I’d invest in eventually. I, like you, jus stick tot he Chemex. Well… I have the Hario, which is similar. @nube

That’s cool! Where are you located to have a coffee tree growing? @Comacus

5 Likes

California. Not ideal for coffee but I have managed not to kill my tree so far.

4 Likes

I do like this… hug

5 Likes

I only buy cafe Bustelo. It is Expresso coffee and taste great. We have Expresso maker, but I just brew in regular coffee pot mostly.

2 Likes

I’ll fourth or fifth the vote for Chemex. I use mine daily and freaking love it. I have the model with the glass handle.

I brew using RO water with a few drops of trace minerals added, and generally prefer light roast, single origin Ethiopian beans.

I used to love the 1000 calories mochas but drink it black since I was diagnosed as diabetic.

I no longer own a drip machine. I have an Aeropress that I take camping. My French presses are relegated to making cold brew.

My girlfriend has a nice espresso maker at her place. I started shopping for one but got sticker shock - especially when I realized I needed to spend even more on the grinder than the machine! Maybe some day. I do enjoy a quad shot of bitter espresso.

11 Likes

I don’t have access to RO water. But I’ve found success in Crystal Geyser gallon bottle at stores. Or I use some other bottled types water I have.

2 Likes

i buy single origin freshly light roasted whole bean coffee, hand grind it course just before use with a burr grinder, brew in a French press using RO water usually at around 20 grams - 240 grams

for me this is perfection

4 Likes

This is why I love the Brewista Ratio:scale, since it does the ratio for me on weight for coffee. Then telling me how much water to pour and what rate to do it, has a timer on it. Crazy good scale to learn the method and pour consistency over time.

1 Like

do you have a product recommendation?

1 Like

How often have you used this website for?

The prices are really nice! I’m wanting to know more about this website. @nube

2 Likes

this is the best roaster ive tried in Canada time over time i always go back

2 Likes

When home

Perculator at camp

4 Likes

I am a pretty simple guy. Flexbrew system from Hamilton Beach. Does pots or single serving and has a timer so my good old Tim Hortons coffee is waiting when I get up.

5 Likes

We renovated the house a little over a year ago and installed a tankless RO unit at the kitchen sink. I keep a bottle of this stuff next to the tap:

You only need a few drops, so that bottle lasts for months. It’s only me in the house most of the time (gf lives in another town but visits every weekend) but I only drink coffee and water…

I forgot to mention before, but I can’t consume a lot of caffeine past mid morning or it will keep me from sleeping that night. I generally consume one cup of very strong coffee first thing in the morning, then no more the rest of the day.

3 Likes

I threw all of my other paraphernalia out the day I got this bad boy

5 Likes

I’ve used them for years. It’s free shipping as long as your total is over $35, which is why I buy 5lb at a time. And it’s legit roasted within a day or two of your order. Very high quality beans, and one of the only places to get very light roasts, which I greatly prefer.

Also, they have quite a few 20% off coupons that can be used once per email address. NPC20 or 20LP or 20P or 20PC should work.

Also @BarefootAndBlazed I also use RO water but no added minerals. And a good conical burr grinder is the Baratza Encore which you can find at Bed Bath and Beyond for $100 after 20% off coupon.

4 Likes

I use an Astra Pro machine. its a semi-auto heat exchanger with an E61 grouphead. Macap M4 grinder.

18gr in the portafilter. runs for 22seconds.
/

10 Likes