How do you pick your stud?

If I have an F1 I want to keep cuz of the quality of the genetics, preservation is the way to go. Multiply that 10 pack to 200 seeds, then delve into the genetic to look for a way forward.
Thats my plan this year with at least 1 strain I have. Ill collect all the Chemdog dominant males out of a RebelGrowns’ Radiation Explosion (Chemdog X 5G’s Purple BX) line, and hit that pollen to all the females. This should give the grower a large enough genetic pool to find the outliers within during the next generations’ selection.
If quicker flowering for outdoor is the number 1 objective, then yes select quicker flowering plants to pollinate.
Unless you know the line, it is somewhat a crapshoot. Traits may not carry on the next generation.
If u have an F1 that has a “pure” half to it will prolly dominate in the next gens. Chemdog and Congolese are two cultivars I found tended to dominate the genetic expressions in following generations, when hybridized. Thats been my observation anyways. Theres always exceptions to that tho as well.

10 Likes

Reversals have become a popular way to try and capture a certain set of characteristics lately also.

4 Likes

@Upstate what is your heirloom composed of? I love seeing peoples personal stash that have acclimated to ny climate

4 Likes

Thanks man. I just copied that link out of my bookmarks. I’ll have to check from now on to make sure it’s a good link.

Good catch! :vulcan_salute:
:guitar:

1 Like

@Stickyjones… pretty damn sure that what I have is the original blueberry, that is no longer blueberry after 30 years…( I have one pheno that smells like strawberry. In your face crazy strawberry.) And also an old Afghani based line that my uncle grew since the early 70s. I got it in 1998 from him. I don’t think I have any of that floating around, but here’s a few pictures of the hybrid I made between my old 30-year heirloom, and that old Afghani based line. The Redbud is from 2 years ago, and the light green bud is from last years wild sprout. The others are also from last year. Getting down to the bottom of the barrel. Need a harvest soon LOL. Oh yeah, and for the heck of it here’s a picture of the purple Malawi I

have been passing around overgrow too.

17 Likes

some beautiful flowers. well done.
I had a HSO Bubbas Gift last year thats strawberry jam in a jar.

2 Likes

I absolutely love strawberry! What is hso?

Male branches of RebelGrown 5G’s Purple BX gettn ready to bust a nut.
Should have tiny bit of MAC1 F2 pollen also.

They need to be broken down more.
Ill put em in south facing window in empty bedroom with white paper underneath to capture the pollen.

4 Likes

Nice! Good way to do it. How do you like using the paper? It works well? My wife gets pissed at me every time I grab a piece of wax paper LOL

@Upstate it does the trick. Wax prolly better, but if theres no shortage of pollen ill just use plain paper. Ill collect every day or every other day the pollen once it starts shedding. Should be within a week I think. Pods are just starting to open now.Spare room has no air movement to avoid any cross contamination.
5G’s Purple is a Chem/ C99 and F13 poly thats been worked a bit already.
Ought to be some good stuff to be found.Rebel recommends seeking the out the floral phenos.

3 Likes

Those look awesome, nice job on keeping the lines going. That malawi is beautiful, did it finish alright in your environment? My mentor had hundreds of maui wowie x purple haze seeds that he called purple motherfucker haha. It was a really cool and had a lot of interesting traits but we ended up running them all over time without making more.

2 Likes

Still going…started flowering June 4th. Handling the climate well. It’s been 70 to 80 % humidity some days. The buds haven’t started to swell yet, but if it really is an unhybridized Malawi landrace, they should do just fine. I cant take credit for keeping this line going up until now. 20 years from now I’ll take the compliment LOL. If it still has that legendary Malawi high, this will never leave my arsenal. Loving how heavy the buds are getting. Started flowering when they were less than 6 in tall. I have to keep reminding myself that. I should have actually measured the height on June 4th. They are less than 2 feet tall now. But thats still a 4x to 6x stretch, depending on their height June 4th. I should have measured. Malawi gold seeds from Afropips are still available from kwik seeds.

1 Like

The correct answer for me is “it depends”. It depends on what I’m trying to lend to a cross.

If she is floppy and he’s built like a steel skyscraper then he’s the pick of the litter.

If she is a bit light on flower structure and he flowers out and has corn cob colas…pick of the litter.

Without really working a line the first couple of steps is rolling the dice. Some times you hit money and sometimes you crap out.

It might be something that you never thought about look at like leaf serrations or nodal length.

9 Likes

If your plants are that old I can almost guarantee they would benefit from running them through tissue culture. Have you ever had them tested for pathogens or viroids?

6 Likes

30 yrs from seed only. No clones. Real old school… Immune to powdery mildew and damn near immune to botryitis. They’ve never been exposed to other varieties, really. What pathogens could they have?

6 Likes

I always like those strong nasty smells … As long as the weed doesn’t taste like it smells that is. I never had strong nasty smelling weed that wasn’t good. Ever.

8 Likes

I was wondering about that. My wife’s cousin told us the best he had ever had, they called chicken shit. Apparently that is what it smelled like.

Those aren’t exactly appetizing smells to think about.

4 Likes

Mmm… Good ol chicken shit. I bet that was good.:face_vomiting: And a conversation starter. I always found the gross types fun to break out at a party. Lots of laughs. A male that smells of b.o. or vomit/ shit, gross as it sounds, is probably killer.

5 Likes

I meant the blueberry and afghan lines. Its cool to see heirlooms , used to see a lot of nice ones around here. I wish i wouldve gotten into making seeds earlier on.

3 Likes

very true. i guess it depends on your end goal in picking a stud lol. makes me remember, my first grow, the best smelling bud, came from a slow growing, scraggly plant. the other two were must bigger and faster the whole life cycle, almost would forget about her when seeing the others, until the buds started giving off smells lol. wouldn’t want to breed with her cause of some of those growth traits tho