Anyone Seen a Male Hermi?

This is by far the hardiest cannabis plant I’ve grown so I decided to keep it around. Not planning to breed or be a breeder, only do my own research and playing around.

Out of the 10 clones I put some on the window to root. A few females threw a few pistols and the males made some balls on the tops. Now their back to veg and growing well, he’s the first to root too. All the females are fine.

Has anyone seen a male throw pistols before?

7 Likes

15 Likes

Sure as shit, big time

7 Likes

Yup, i often see ppl posting a ‘super frosty male’ that they are using for breeding only to take a look and clearly see pistils popping everywhere. Pollen sacs and pistils = herm.

The shit I see in the cannabis community is almost unbelievable sometimes.

16 Likes

Seen it, killed it, culled the seeds. Hermie is a hermie IMO.

19 Likes

i have seen it, was always a sparse one or two calyxes and typically early on and at internodes.

8 Likes

Just killed one last week.

8 Likes

I’ve seen it both in lines with females that have some intersex and in lines with females that never intersex.

I’m unconvinced that it poses a problem to females, but if anybody has done a real side by side test of the inbred offspring from the same female with and without a male that shows pistils, I would be very interested.

The safest thing is to kill it, which is what I usually do. But I’m yet to see anything even remotely resembling a basic hypothesis test that shows it leads to an increase in intersex females. In the absence of that, all you’re going to get is opinions.

17 Likes

I circumcised them and will tag and bag the pollen. Three by the window made balls, only one hermi, others are still in veg.

Probably flower them all again this spring and see what happens. Might have been combo of flowering and rooting in the window with short day? I’ve seen other cuttings throw flowers (hoya mainly) rather than root, maybe it’s a survival instinct and cloning stresses them a bit.

Not sure about plants and their male/female hormones. I’ll have to look into this a little more.

3 Likes

Plant sex is determined by chromosomes and hermaphroditic plants pass that on threw genes. There are piles of botanical literature to confirm this if one searches google.

6 Likes

Just thinking out loud here, but if a female can produce balls and pollen by using silver to inhibit ethylene receptors, then what of the reverse? Does it mean male plants that show pistils produce some small amount of enzyme involved in ethylene production?

If that is the case, it’s doesn’t seem likely that it would harm the sexual stability of females, and perhaps might offer greater sexual stability to females at the expense of sexual stability of males. :thinking:

It’s not so cut and dry to me… I always wish I knew more about this stuff.

10 Likes

I had one about twenty years ago when I first ran DJ’s Blueberry , clean f6 my ass lol

7 Likes

Genetics of dioecy and causal sex chromosomes in plants.
Review article
Kumar S, et al. J Genet. 2014.
Show full citation
Abstract
Dioecy (separate male and female individuals) ensures outcrossing and is more prevalent in animals than in plants. Although it is common in bryophytes and gymnosperms, only 5% of angiosperms are dioecious. In dioecious higher plants, flowers borne on male and female individuals are, respectively deficient in functional gynoecium and androecium. Dioecy is inherited via three sex chromosome systems: XX/XY, XX/X0 and WZ/ZZ, such that XX or WZ is female and XY, X0 or ZZ are males. The XX/XY system generates the rarer XX/X0 and WZ/ZZ systems. An autosome pair begets XY chromosomes. A recessive loss-of-androecium mutation (ana) creates X chromosome and a dominant gynoecium-suppressing (GYS) mutation creates Y chromosome. The ana/ANA and gys/GYS loci are in the sex-determining region (SDR) of the XY pair. Accumulation of inversions, deleterious mutations and repeat elements, especially transposons, in the SDR of Y suppresses recombination between X and Y in SDR, making Y labile and increasingly degenerate and heteromorphic from X. Continued recombination between X and Y in their pseudoautosomal region located at the ends of chromosomal arms allows survival of the degenerated Y and of the species. Dioecy is presumably a component of the evolutionary cycle for the origin of new species. Inbred hermaphrodite species assume dioecy. Later they suffer degenerate-Y-led population regression. Cross-hybridization between such extinguishing species and heterologous species, followed by genome duplication of segregants from hybrids, give rise to new species.

5 Likes

Looks like it could have been mechanical stress, I know stress and chemicals can cause this as well. I was thinking cuttings in the window with short photo periods. I’ll check when the ones I had rooting in the tent flower again, although I only have 5 cuttings left so not much data to go off of.

2 Likes

That’s what DJ short and mean Gene talk about on the Pot Cast. @lefthandseeds

7 Likes

I did listen to DJs interview a while back, and he really impressed me with a depth of knowledge and experience. Of the ones I’ve listened to, I think his was by far the most informative. I’ll have to check out mean Gene’s as well.

I stopped listening when it seemed like a lot of his guests were becoming more like celebrity interviews. I’m sure having breeders on the show to talk about their more famous strains appeals to a wider audience, but I was more interested in hearing about breeders process. Grow a bunch and cross good with good… yeah, duh.

8 Likes

Yeah I’m looking for a show with a little more depth as well. I just listen to them as I go to bed. Dj and the second Duke Diamond episodes are my favorite I like the mean gean one as well. I think Dj has done a lot of work with the plant in more ways than he says he was talking about creating sterile plants and stuff. He seems really protective of his work. I get it but at the same time it’s like you put it out there. If you @lefthandseeds Know of any shows let me know. I love them .

5 Likes

Dj used to do seminars, don’t know if he still does or not.
I know he’s had them in Cali and Michigan, got beans from him both seminars.
Thinking he might roll out his better gear, low and behold @Baltimore hit the lottery with them beans he got.

7 Likes

Id love to go. I need to be.more plugged in with breeders lines and how to treat them. Ive worked with rough plants. His BB I wouldnt call rough at all. Basically a nail your soil and just water. I mean I guess whatever medium you use, you would keep the feed relatively low. I scorched a couple plants. One wants to herm. Could be stress from the burn and number of things.

Its a plant id keep around. Itl pm on you you gotta keep that air running and no splash back. Shit shes a tight one. Regardless the cuts I took these plants and another 6 seeds for a holy shit a bomb hit the house. I dont think thatl be necessary. Theyre winding down I believe. I may have to harvest the top and let the bottoms go.

I think Mr. Wonka let’s JD handle things. He’s seen the tiki head. He knows whats up. Thats why he doesnt even bat an eye. Its the truth.:pray::heart::call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Do you know or have any reading for if stressing a plant will change the actual chromosomes or chromatin re-organisation? Or I guess more specifically; if it does change chromosomes, does it change them to hermi’s or the opposite sex?

I’m just wondering as I’ve heard people talk about having a female clone, then to try and save the plant they could possible make it hermi and get seeds. Would all those seeds then be hermis?

2 Likes