Why so many regs?

This has been a bit of a puzzle to me for some time here.
I see so many trades and auctions on OG that all seem to be 99% reg seeds as opposed to fems.
Why aren’t more people doing fems? Is it the extra work?
I’m doing everything I can to get out of the reg business. It bugs the crap out of me to grow out a bunch of seeds/seedlings for 2mos or more to then have to throw half of them in the compost heap.
I have seeds for 2 strains that are feminized, I have some female pollen that I haven’t tried yet, and I’m growing 4 more strains just for seeds this season.

I really hope this is the last year I have ANY regs in my collection. If I have even a partially succesful seed harvest, I’m going to give away the rest of my seeds to someone here to include in one of their auctions, like maybe Doug.

21 Likes

I believe that people like regular seeds more because the gene pool is less diluted.

33 Likes

It’s easier to make beans the old fashioned way?

18 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

7 Likes

Regs for preservation and breeding of the line.

Fems are definitely useful if you just want sinsemilla flower.

Making fem seeds is extra effort for sure.

30 Likes

Obviously with limited space and the expense of time and resources put into vegging regular seeds there’s an advantage to fems from a grower’s perspective.

5 Likes

I’m with you @Lobstah . I have a small limit so I have no use for Regs anymore. I’m not a breeder so I have 0 use for any males.

7 Likes

Regular all the way!!!

24 Likes

Clones are great if you find something special.

Long term storage and shipping is better with seeds, not to mention preservation of the gene pool.

15 Likes

Yeah nobody has ever lost a clone.
The large corporate clone vendors that unleashed widespread hpld on the public another reason you think they should be in charge

7 Likes

Ahh I’m done with fems, only because of the frustration on not being to keep them
Unless I clone, then im stuck in a box
Mother’s, clone area etc etc

Why I always preferred reg beans as many above have already mentioned, no matter what
As long as i have the reg beans of what I prefer
I never be with out her.
Like Tropicana
Fucking love that strain but try as I may I can’t
Get my hands on regs, they are around but
Not available in my country etc
Always something.
And gelato, Thankfully DEF seeds allowed me to test their Rainbow Bright Gelato crosses.
I’m praying I still have one boy and one girl
From the beans I still have, and I never look
A gift Horse in the Mouth.

17 Likes

Fuckin love growing dudes that’s why.

46 Likes

I get that. It just doesn’t bother me. I’m getting pretty good at knowing sex early. And when I grow regs I plant twice as much. It’s a benefit to me in a lot of ways. Like I always have too many plants on veg, so sometimes it’s a relief to discover a male.

There are lots of reasons. There’s a desire to stick with what Mother Nature does. There’s the mostly-obsolete notion that feminization causes herms. It still can - you never know how that guy made those seeds.

Feminized seeds from resellers can have completely-different parents to the regular option (Ace Seeds, Golden Tiger III and others).

Feminized seeds are an additional effort to make. I would argue they’re more trouble than just making regs.

Most of the seeds in God’s catalog are regs. :rofl: So following the example is a decent choice, at least.

12 Likes

Mad love to those keeper studs. I find myself looking more for bad ass males nowadays.

20 Likes

I will not kick a feminized strain out of bed, but I really do not buy many, nor hunt for them.
I’m not against them at all, just not my first choice, more, well like “well damn, if want that strain, I got run it”.

7 Likes

Who doesn’t love a ton of balls!?

30 Likes

The bulk of weed I want to grow and smoke doesn’t exist in Fem form, and I would like to breed someday.

If fems were as good as clones, it wouldn’t even be a competition.

11 Likes

I have some Cherry Malawi x Tropicana Cookies regs in the vault DM me if you are interested

8 Likes

I know I do.
…my last statement I’m removing. Free the seedIMG_20210128_001835_514

16 Likes

How close is that to Trop cherry? Literally my fav. Been looking for stuff close to it.

3 Likes