How exactly do I help my mate here šŸ˜“

This is me and one of my best mates Kenny on valentines day this year. His 3 year old son has been unwell for quite a while and yesterday got a diagnosis of leukaemia. Iā€™ve already told him Iā€™m there for anything he might need like rides to and from the hospital.

It genuinely hurt my soul hearing him cry on the phone yesterday. He has another child on the way too.

Anyone got any other ideas of ways I can make this easier for the man.

Can only post one pic in posts as it stands but Iā€™ll drop one of kenny and his boy under this post.

25 Likes

Just be there for him and his family, like you already are doing!

20 Likes

ā€œIf you want to talk about it Iā€™m here for you. If you donā€™t want to talk about it Iā€™m here for you.ā€

21 Likes

I donā€™t know man, itā€™s a rough situationā€¦lots of prayer and bearing down through treatmentsā€¦ itā€™s gonna be really tough for him and heā€™s lucky to have a caring friend like you

Listening will be your best attribute

19 Likes

My brother in law had childhood leukemia. He survived and doesnā€™t have leukemia now.

I guess the point of my story is that I hope Kennyā€™s son gets well soon.

Keep being a great friend.

16 Likes

Best approach in my experience is to just be thereā€¦ even if itā€™s the most basic of basicsā€¦ Your bestie is going to go through it no matter what is said or done. Just do the best you can to help the family.

Hope the little can get through it! Nothing but positive vibes that way!

10 Likes

Thatā€™s a tough road to ho. I would say just be there for him and be available to listen. There is zero you can do about the situation other than that. Itā€™s going to be a tough and emotional road for him and his family but itā€™s amazing how much it can help to have someone to lean on, cry to or just vent at. You can be his emotional outlet and part of his support structure. I wish him, his son and family all the good vibes I got. Leukemia can be beat and here is hoping this is one of those cases. Best of luck.

9 Likes

Here he is anyway guys. Earliest I could post. Iā€™ll be there :100: theyā€™re at the hospital tomorrow for some kind of bone marrow test. Iā€™m gonna meet kenny afterwards as Iā€™m working over his way. I know Iā€™m doing all I can. Just doesnā€™t feel enough. But I guess my best is far better than nothing.

19 Likes

Be there for him, listen, and remind himā€¦there are a lot of advances in Leukemia treatmentā€¦ My classmates son was born with it-- just turned 16 a few days ago!! Was a long haul, trach tube several times through his lifeā€¦but kids are way tougher than we are!

12 Likes

it sucks and isnā€™t the best news, but itā€™s beatable so thereā€™s that. he is precious. burn one with him and listen. thatā€™s what your buddy needs now. my opinion anyway, good luck with it.

8 Likes

My 40+ old daughterā€™s boyfriend when 7/8 had it and is now well. 40+
Keep the faith and keep an eye on the positive outcomes.

6 Likes

Here is another resource for you:

6 Likes

Cheers everyone. Iā€™m gonna send over the info from @toastyjakes and @Oldjoints for r kenny to have a read of. And Iā€™m gonna stick him a little care package together. A bit of meal prep and a smoke :100:

11 Likes

Man my heart goes out to you and your buddy and his son. Thatā€™s just rough. My FIL has a treatable form of chronic leukemia as far as I understand it. I donā€™t understand much of it but from what I gathered heā€™s not ā€œcurableā€ but can live a long life with his medication.

Nobody knows what the outcome may be right now, but I sincerely hope and wish for that kid to be running around happily and healthy. Sending him some prayers.

6 Likes

This is heartbreaking to read bro.
The best information has already been giving that just be there for your pal and his family when they need you.
Being UK giving any kind of cannabis products to help will inevitably end up more than one life being put at risk. I know weā€™ll do absolutely ANYTHING for our kids but you canā€™t do fuck all from behind bars.

8 Likes

Thereā€™s inherently a level of danger involved in caring for children. I wonā€™t cast judgement over any parent in any jurisdiction that chooses to give, or not to give for that matter, cannabinoids to their child battling cancer for whatever reason.

Justice systems differ. But so do methods of transfer. One could be eating a pudding cup and be dosed without even knowing it.

People are secretly given drugs, medications and poisons outside of their knowing every day either by mistake, on purpose, or by having a disordered person in their vicinity. Not one of the instances coming to my mind wherein that would happen would be more beneficial and good natured than serving up a cannabis laced meal after a needed chemotherapy treatment.

It is a crime in most places. But what of the opiates that are given to the same children in those conditions? Itā€™s no secret but rarely talked about is that these conscientious doctors put young children on dangerous, addictive drugs for long periods while better options are available from our garden, and even if those opiates are needed, still it is better in most cases to combine it with herbal therapy, cannabis included, for the nausea from both the opiates and the chemo.

There are lines we canā€™t cross. The thing is, no one is here to show where those lines are for another. No one can decide for another what he or she can or canā€™t do. All we can hope for is that good choices will be made as silently as needed for a peaceful future. Parents should decide together what is best for their child. And legislators should allow parents to care for their children.

These are my opinions. To each their own.

4 Likes

he is lucky to have such a good friend as you are (!!)
keep doing what you do, brother, you have OG-support.

4 Likes

I appreciate the sentiments from everyone. Iā€™m sure kenny and family will too folks of OG. Theyā€™re at the hospital still at the moment. Was going to go see them after work today but itā€™s going to have to be tomorrow now. Only working a couple of miles away so think Iā€™m going to take him for a pint and a few games of pool. Let him get what he needs to off his chest. And Iā€™ll just straight up ask if he needs anything :100:

5 Likes

I will also try to reply to each individual when my brain slows down enough to allow me to process info.

2 Likes

Okay I wont see him tomorrow either but its reassuring to know theyā€™re moving quickly :100::blue_heart: you got me a tattooed hard faced bastard nearly crying and heā€™s happy af in a plastic car.

10 Likes