How I send seeds, on a budget

That made me laugh.

4 Likes

I ran out of rubber washers can’t remember what size they are

1 Like

tumblr_mphxwwt0fu1rs9cj1o1_400

4 Likes

Hey Guys, not sure if i am late to this party for peeps in the US but im cheap so im always looking to save cash…

problem is that i find that if i send more than 2 flips in a card its over an ounce so i have to put an extra stamp on the card which sucks.
i was on the USPS site buying more stamps and I found i can send an extra ounce for .20 by using these instead of using another forever stamp… a pack good for 20 addition ounces costs $4

they are always good for an extra ounce like a forever stamp is good to send a letter regardless of price changes

you can find them here…
https://store.usps.com/store/product/buy-stamps/brush-rabbit-stamps-S_740304
or here

https://store.usps.com/store/product/buy-stamps/2017-uncle-sams-hat-stamps-S_119704

I hope that helps some of you save some cash!!!

15 Likes

:gem: :gem::gem::gem::gem::gem::gem::gem::gem::gem:! @CornbreadJunior

2 Likes

@CornbreadJunior so just to be clear, your saying one forever stamp and one of the other gets you US to Canada?

2 Likes

sorry no and sorry if i wasnt clear. i was talking about postage cost for a letter over 1oz.

what i was trying to explain is that when i have more than a couple of coinflips with beans in them my letters weigh over 1oz.
so when my letter is over 1 oz instead of adding another regular stamp i found i can just add the “extra ounce” stamp for 1/3 the cost.

3 Likes

I just stick them in the post box 1 first class stamp never had any problems sending coin flips

2 Likes

ya like i said this is for over an ounce. no worries if you dont find this info helpful for you

3 Likes

How many coin flips is over an ounce I can fit 4 inside of a card then just the first class stamp I’ve never had anything sent back for being overweight that’s all I’m saying even send them to Europe like that one first class European stamp lol

Thank you for the info @CornbreadJunior :pray: I found it very helpful (and I’m Canadian! :laughing:)

I’ve had some members pm me in the past for more info, and it always helps to have clarification, especially when it comes to postage and making sure the seeds get through.

4 Likes

It’s been so long since I used a coinflip to send that I can’t even remember, lol. I think the most I would send was 3, but could’ve probably squeezed in 4 if I tried. Would be cutting it close with the weight though for sure, if not over.

Some flips and washers are heavier than others. When you factor in the weight of the card and envelope, it could go over.

5 Likes

thnx @Oldtimerunderground i know im always nervous (and prolly overly paranoid) when its close to weight limits cuz some of these beans are hard to replace

@anon98660487

it all depends like OTUG said
the pic below is my normal card i send and 3 coinflips. just barely over an ounce. im paranoid so i personally add the extra ounce sticker. i know with 4 flips ive never been under an ounce.

im glad to hear you have never had the USPS send back one of yours but i know others here on OG have had their letters sent back due to insufficient postage and for those who dont use an accurate return address the beans are gone.

Happy 2022 good people of OG!

7 Likes

That’s interesting I didn’t know that they send it back to you,I use my real address for returns

2 Likes

thats what i hear… the return addy i use is not my real addy so i always double check to make sure i have enough postage to get it to where i want it to go.

4 Likes

Interesting that they send back insufficient postage, our PO delivers it with a postage due envelope. Normally it is less than $0.50 due.

2 Likes

i don’t use gift cards and a smaller security envelope. i can get 5 1.5" coinflips under an oz.

4 Likes

ha ok…
no problem, im not debating on how many you can get in a letter for under an ounce.
i was just saying if you do go over an ounce u can cover the diff by adding the “additional ounce” stamp for less than half the price of adding another regular postage stamp…
and with that i say

good day sir…

5 Likes

:cowboy_hat_face:i use washers and coin flips and i get 6 in an envelope card plus i am not stingy i try to put 2 stamps on it an have had no problem as of yet. :mage:

I am still using perforated plastic signs. I can put 5 seeds in or hundreds for the price of one stamp. The key is to use wooden dowels in channels to protect the seeds. I use Q-tips in the ends of the channels that have seeds in cut off at the proper length. I have had 100% success rate using this method. Every great now and then I shove the q-tips in to far and break a few seeds but that has only happened twice in over 25 years.

13 Likes