How to make a male into a female?

Omg i feel ashamed that I’ve got a cannabis breeders bible and i was looking in this thread to see how it’s done.

I bought it for selfing plants but I didn’t get around to it or even reading the book.
I’ve glanced through it i did see a mention of changing male to female but I’ve not read it.

If it’s any help I’ll double check the subject is covered and you can maybe buy the book,
if the subject isn’t too drawn out I’ll read it and post the important stuff.

1 Like

Force him to watch the view 24/7
With a man bun
And a soy milk shake?
Bwahahaha

Sorry couldn’t resist

1 Like

man, all these posts and no info guys?

You need Florel

Mix it in a spray bottle of water at a rate of 25ml per liter.

You’ll wanna wear gloves, long sleeves, a kn95 or rebreather mask… Turn the fans off, don’t get any of it on you, don’t breath it in, etc. Spray at lights out. Start at least a week before flip. Should only need a couple sprays but I haven’t gotten this far yet. I’d think spray every 3 days or so :thinking:

7 Likes

Not sure if it was Florel they were using, but from what people have said in the past you wouldn’t want to smoke flower from a reversed male (toxicity of the chemical they were using, like I said, might have been a different chemical they were using).

1 Like

Eh, technically from what I’ve seen, as long as you’re not spraying the flowers themselves, it should technically be smokable as the ethylene dissipates rapidly. There’s also quite a few breeders that talk about reversing males and smoking them.

That being said, I have no real idea myself so not gonna recommend it, but I won’t stop you, but most definitely don’t smoke anything you’ve sprayed. That goes for getting nute water on your flowers and leaves too. Don’t smoke that either.

My understanding of the male reversal process is when you reverse a male, you’re not gonna get buds. You’ll get a Dr.Grinspoon type look instead.
(dr grinspoon for reference)
The main idea is what flowers you do get and their resin will tell you exactly what phenotype the male is compared to the females without smoking them. So you can more easily find a male that’s passing the flavors/scents you want instead of just relying on stem rubs and leaf morphology. And of course, he’ll S1 himself when you reverse him.

12 Likes

Thank you so much this is very appreciated :grinning:

Hell yeah ! I’d love to collect all the info I can. As I move with this project I will post it in a dedicated thread so probably this one !

In the future others will be able to find this. This is all super interesting

1 Like

I need to get this tomorrow then or the day after. Plants barely started flipping but not really. They’ve been on 12/12 for a while and are barely showing sex. They haven’t shown full sex yet

Thank you so much for this info Angel !

1 Like

About this….

I’ve gotten mixed answers containing info about super males, Regs, fems, and different percentages … it seems no one knows for sure what you will get out of it.

Do you happen to have info on this topic so we can clear the uncertainty once and for all. Thank you @HolyAngel :slight_smile: I’m happy u stopped by

Edit: wanted to add that I’ll make a new type of cross which I don’t know the name to yet.

If the reversed male gets hit with pollen from another plant it won’t just be an S1 but I believe there should be some type of F1 (idk the name yet but it won’t be F1) example F1R etc…

1 Like

I mean when you reverse the male, his own male flowers will cause him to pollinate himself and make s1’s. Those beans will have a 70/30 male/female ratio. You may or may not be able to discern which will be from him and which will be from another, different, plant if you also hit him with pollen.

2 Likes

Where did you get those numbers?

1 Like

It’s punnet squares

XY x XY
25% YY = Unviable
50% XY = Male
25% XX = Female

Since 25% of the beans will be duds, the beans that actually finished will be 66.67% male and 33.33% female

4 Likes

I hope you can succeed in this venture my friend.
I’m excited to learn from this!
:smiley:

1 Like

Florel = brand name
Ethephon = the active chemical

It’s totally doable, and works on the same principle as reversing a female in that you are fiddling around with the balance of sex hormones. If you reduce the amount of Ethylene (the female sex hormone) in a female plant you raise the ratio of Gibberellins (the male sex hormone, I believe I have the name right) which then dominates the expression. Likewise, raising the levels of ethylene in a male plant will force expression of female bits - Ethephon is metabolized by the plant into Ethylene which raises its ratio. Genetic sex (which is about what is in the DNA) and sex expression (which results from hormonal balances) are not the same thing, although generally align.

Here is one from a few months ago that I didn’t really follow through on, but works for proof of concept.

10 Likes

When do I start spraying … ? Let me post pictures of them. With numbers

1 Like

Buddy said 7 & 9 are questionable

1 Like

If you are doing this to prove a point it might be doable. If you’re looking to be efficient growing bud for yourself you’re better off starting over and growing true females. Even if you reverse a male you aint never gonna have killer bud.

if you dont wanna grow fem seeds just pay the ~10$/plant for sex testing, I had great luck with farmer freeman “EZYX” tests

1 Like

Ah I wish I could but these are non existent seeds. Milk N Cookies by exotic genetix :slight_smile: fml

1 Like

Agreed, and in a few days you might be surprised to see some females in there.

As for the Male reversal, spraying ASAP is probably a good idea. My experiment above was just winging it, but I more or less modeled it after the FemSTS timeframe (spray a couple days before flip, then every 3-5 days until reversal starts showing). I would look at the thread linked above for more and better info than I have off hand.

If you do start spraying now I would go for those that you are absolutely certain are males so whatever possible females you end up with grow out on their own terms, hormonally speaking.

3 Likes

Fuck yeah ! Thank you so much. I am now the man with the plan. :sunglasses:

I’m excited either ways …then I can use pollen on the viable females and move forward after

5 Likes