Hungry and No Yeast! Baking Bread during the COVID-19 🍞

Interesting. Give it a try I guess. Might be boozy.

5 Likes

Thks Best of both worlds , get to eat home made bread and a cocktail to boot

4 Likes

Comments from Quora[1]:

The short answer is yes. Any kind of yeast will work, but there’s a reason different yeasts are made or propogated.

Bread yeast is made to take a small amount of added sugar and along with some flour, slowly rise to make the tiny trapped ‘bubbles’ in the bread.

Distillers yeast is made to ferment quickly and likes a lot of sugar to ferment into a lot of alcohol. Although I’ve never used it for bread, I have used it to produce alcohol. Because of it’s speed of fermentation, it’s likely to rise your bread faster than you may like, which could possibly result in larger ‘bubbles’ in your bread. Not necessarily an advantage to the bread.

However, it’s pretty cheap to make a loaf or two of bread, and if you have a ready supply of distillers yeast, why not try it! It won’t hurt you, and I’d be interested to know how it worked for you!

And,

Yes! I just did and here are pictures. I’m staying in due to Covid-19 mandates and wanted to make bread. Fortunately I had enough flour, because it has become hard to find. But finding baking yeast is impossible. I couldn’t even get it online. I saw Amazon had a lot of wine yeast so I ordered that. Here’s what I learned:

It likes sugar. Add more sugar or use a recipe that calls for sugar. My recipe called for 1/4 cup.
The packets don’t have as much yeast in them. RedStar wine yeast has 5g per packet. Fleishman’s baking yeast has 7g. So I used 1 and 1/2 packets. I don’t think the wine yeast is as efficient in a baked product so next time I would use both packages.
The bread was fantastic. Here is the recipe I used.

13 Likes

Yep Thks No yeast is available here so…

Good tip to see if yeast is still active

Tips

You want to test, or proof, your yeast to make sure it’s alive before you get started making your bread. To do this, mix your yeast in warm water, ideally from 90 degrees Fahrenheit to 100 degrees Fahrenheit, with either sugar or flour depending on your recipe, and set aside for 5 minutes to 10 minutes until it is foamy and bubbly. The foamy liquid is then added to your flour and the kneading process begins.

7 Likes

Excellent! Bread looks fantastic, bet it is good warm ROO with butter
I have a rather large package of wiskey yeast , enough for 50 loafs I bet.

Loki Do you have a simple white bread recipe , I think my bread maker had instructions but have gone missing .

Simple to look up but figure I would ask for tried and true 1st.

3 Likes

Here what I have from Breville, I’v extracted the pages for my machine with the recipes:

Pages from BBM800XL_IB_B10_FA.pdf (605.1 KB)

The basic white breads are super simple though they are using instant yeast. They are also pretty plain tasting, though. For your case with the distillers yeast, you might need to experiment some as it looks like it’s extra active (small amount of salt should slow it down and add some flavor). Different proportions on the ingredients will still lead to an edible loaf but it might end-up being too dense, rise too high, dry, too wet, not cook fully, etc. A bread machine is super convenient but you might need to experiment when going outside of the recommended recipes.

Another option is to use the machine to make the dough, then do the bread proofing (series of proofing / punch downs) outside of the machine and then baking it in the oven. You’ll be able to judge things much better. If you look at some of the non-machine based bread techniques on-line, you can end up will a much more tasty loaf with the exact same ingredients.

I’d give the machine first shot then try the oven method as you experiment.

I used to make a good amount of bread years ago and it was amazing the differences in flavor, crustiness, crumb, etc when using the exact same ingredients but modifying the technique and temperatures slightly. Getting back into the bread thing and am having some fun re-learning. Kinda like growing our favorite plants.

6 Likes

Now you’ve got me thinking, and hungry. French bread with a spicy, Saison flavor? Or a funky sourdough from Belgium?

12 Likes

Make bread like a monk! I vote abbey.

6 Likes

OK I took some water at 97%F and added a small amount of honey sugar to it
I then sprinkled a small amount of my wiskey yeast (distillers Yeast)
The yeast expended a tiny bit then sunk , no foam build up after 2 hrs.
I wonder if the honey sugar did something instead of feeding it.

4 Likes

Were you using one of those Turbo yeasts? The yeast could have devoured the sugars faster than you anticipated. They’re hungry.

2 Likes

Give it some more food (flour) or just make the bread dough :slight_smile:

Don’t follow the soughdough starter example, that’s more for the harvesting of wild yeast. You already have the yeast but you can still go through the process and eventually you’ll get some combination of yeasts going.

3 Likes

Yes I was it is in fact Labeled Turbo LOL
I will try mor sugar

1 Like

Nearing the end of day 6 on the starter.

Previously, the aroma of the starter had a strong sour smell. Now, the sour is reduced as the bacteria competes with the yeast. Picking up a very nice yeast smell. We are getting close:

100% wild yeast and bacteria. I did start adding ground spelt along with the bread flour and water in order to provide some additional nutrition to the starter. Stopped with the honey after day two.

Giving this lots of love with three feedings a day to get it nice and active.

13 Likes

We can’t get Flour anymore :frowning: I blame Just In Time inventory (JIT) which would not be possible without computers so its technology fault. Here I sit without starter and having to eat store bought Sour Dough.

5 Likes

Yes. Getting scarce.

There is still some supply around here but it’s very much hit and miss. There hasn’t been any dry yeast for about a month.

If you don’t mind going bulk,

https://www.bakersauthority.com/collections/flours

3 Likes

My Turbo yeast was a dude , I made a paperweight LOL

4 Likes

Hmmm, that’s a bummer.

Try making a starter. It takes awhile but you’ll have an unlimited supply as long as you feed it.

1 Like
  • may I am not sure how but you spelled it out above correct?*
2 Likes

The most basic is using just flour, water, and time!

There are a tons of resources on the net and youtube that describe different ways to make a starter. There are details that I haven’t described that you might wonder about in the middle of making the starter. I was illustrating that it’s fairly straight forward with just some flour. It’s easier to watch the videos than to describe.

This one is decent:

Another:

So, take some time to watch some of those youtube videos. While it may seem complicated or difficult, it really isn’t. It’s more a matter of putting in the time and paying attention.

Here’s a couple of thoughts:

1. A fresh flour, unbleached preferably organic, should have sufficient yeast for a starter. There is not a need to “capture” wild yeast from the air (by covering with a cheese cloth) but it will not harm anything if you do. The ingredients should have plenty already. I’m just using whatever is in the flour + some honey (unfiltered, organic) early on. I don’t really weigh anything for the starter, either. Just a very wet dough but not runny – sticky.
  2. You’ll want a glass or stoneware container with a loose lid. Never tighten or seal.
  3. You’ll want to plan on around seven or more days. Each day will require that you feed the starter. Initially you’ll have a bacterial bloom. The bacteria we want will out compete the bad bacteria. Then, over time, the yeast will start to compete with the bacteria. During all of this, the aroma will change each day until you eventually have a balance between the bacteria and yeast. You should end-up being able to detect a yeast aroma.
  4. If there are any nasty smells (it may smell odd/sour/stinky cheese which is ok), mold, or strange colors, you’ll want to start again.
  5. At around the seven day mark you should detect a distinct smell of yeast. You then have a starter and can start to supercharge it – which is feeding it more, waiting for it to expand and right before it begins to fall into itself, then feeding it some more. Get it really active so that it at least doubles. Then you’ll be able to use a portion of the starter and follow some of the recipes around the net to create a dough.
  6. The leftover portion is retained and you can give it regular feedings until you have enough to start another loaf or store away. You can continue to feed it daily or store it in the fridge and feed it once a week or so.
  7. A bit a practice and you’ll have artisanal breads that’ll easily rival your local bakeries.
8 Likes

I‘ve been making bread with sourdough starter for awhile now. Most of the basics are covered above.

Give your starter 14 days to really get rolling. Lots of yeasts and bacteria’s fighting it out at the beginning. The good ones win in the end. But it takes a couple weeks.

As long as your using unbleached flour. All the wild yeast you need is already there, from the field.

If there were 2 books I would recommend. They would be:

Chad Robertson- Tartine Bread

Ken Forkish- Flour,Water,Salt,Yeast

Both are excellent. Covering starter making through advanced techniques.

14 Likes