Hydrostatic/Osmotic/Turgor Pressure!?

That science you just said about the hydrostatic pressure
Is that something to do with cell walls?
Or the water being pushed up the plant?

1 Like

Both, hydrostatic pressure is what actually takes the water up the plant once osmosis happens, yes.

1 Like

so thats why they droop? is that caused by imbalance of elements (ions) or something

1 Like

I read about it somewhere and remember very little, but let’s wiki it!

It was actually my very good friend @ryasco who first introduced the term to me.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Ok That makes sense,
So basically the lack of food makes the plant stop drinking and then it wilts?

2 Likes

Just as you i am learning, and as i understand it they wilt for three reasons, 1. lack of oxygen, 2. imbalance of nutes, 3. Excess of nutes that clog the membrane… YES!?

2 Likes

I believe this subject deserves its own thread!

Cheers!

2 Likes

Cool you have science’d me
I could have read that and forgotten it
now i’ll remember it

So it could be possible that excess nutes actually reverse the osmosis flow and send water away from the plant!?

Sorry for derailing thread, always good to learn summit :wink:

1 Like

It is better here my man, so anyway thanks for schooling me too. It worked both ways my man!

1 Like

That 3rd link really simplifies it and explains why plants need the right temperature and humidity
probably the most worthwhile 2 minutes reading regarding growing Ive ever seen.

Thanks

Recommend to anyone that stumbles on this thread

I do vaguely recall reading this in I think Jorge Cervantes book
but this is so simple it will be nearly impossible to forget even in 15 years…

2 Likes

Spreading wisdom! @MadScientist :grin:

2 Likes

I know nothing bro. If it wasn’t for you guys and google i would be lost!

2 Likes

It doesn’t just happen to Cannabis. I have a 30 yr. old Silver Maple that has been dying slowly due to 15 yrs use of sidewalk salt. My son says the osmotic flow reversed and the roots are using the leaves moisture/stored energy. I didn’t fully understand it, until this topic posted. Many Thanks.

“Fresh Fish” products and especially kelp will go along way to restoring health to otherwise healthy trees. They like blood meal too, but careful not to burn.

1 Like