Identifying marks for seeds

Continuing the discussion from Lab plant testing for sex ID:

I have not verified this method, nor is it recognized as having close to 99% accuracy like other tests. I split the topic for others trying to utilize this method.

https://youtu.be/W8pjptNTff8

close up of the guide - apparently fairly accurate. those with regular seeds please test and report back!

3 Likes

I should be getting some reg seeds soon will do experiment an post here

1 Like

This a cyclic “trick” that come back regulary since near 20 years on the web. I don’t want to be rude, just direct.

As far as i can say, no, the hilum of the seeds don’t mean anything on theyr final sexuality.
btw, the sexual behavior of this plant is one of the most complex of the vegetal reign.

Ask to Dutch Passion why they losted so much time and money to invest in feminized seeds, instead just sorting them for free.

4 Likes

i feel like feminized seeds were just a marketing trick to increase price while trying to prevent people from creating a bunch of free seeds for themselves, and if they admitted this was even 75% accurate they wouldn’t be able to sell you half males per pack. for that guy in video up there to guess 5/5 randomly is around 2.5% chance, so clearly it’s at least partially accurate.

1 Like

This is the best way to lock a line off course.

I just tried this a couple of months ago. I made a cross of green crack x querkle. produced around 7000 seeds. from the bag I carefully selected seeds that were identical to the ones above. I did this with two strains. unfortunately I cant find the numbers of how many I selected of each. I think like 20 of the gc x q and like 10 of afgooey x querkle. from presexing I have only found 4 males. the problem I encountered is finding a good magnifying glass with good light. definitely not a fast process.

4 Likes

fuel, what was your method for identifying the seeds? and for the above picture how long did it take for you to look at them all? at least a few hours i imagine? what were the results?

I don’t, i just sex them with photoperiod.

I never took notes but i tried it with my grape lime ricky. Doesnt work at all. Well atleast not for the GLR.

2 Likes

It sounds interesting, but I can’t believe it…

If this method works why don’t seedbanks use it instead of hassle with other “feminization” methods.

4 Likes

If Vader can’t do it after this effort, then I have my doubts…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_7lIop4VrM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU_E8Ptlebo

3 Likes

He specifically states right near the beginning of the first video he is able to guess sex with 80% accuracy using that method. That definitely says it’s more than random chance to me …

LOL OK but,
what possible use would anyone have for 80% accuracy?
You’d still get 20% males, and throw away 20% of your females.

3 Likes

if you can reproduce his results, then it could be a method to at least reduce males that make it into the garden.

1 Like

who knows, that may be 80% accuracy selecting for females - perhaps selecting for males is 100% accurate? more testing is required! i’ll definitely be presexing all regular seeds in the future if only for fun and growing them all out anways

2 Likes

That’s the best conclusion of this subject that come back again and again : experiment. And send me all seeds that you throw this way ^^

1 Like

I will take a look at it and take records however I am still skeptical 80%is still better than rolling the dice for maybe a 50/50 I somehow suspect I will not have the same results, I’m not throwing no seeds out yet

2 Likes

80% could randomly be done by chance easily. It would need to be done repeatedly then averaged to get creditable information.

5 Likes