Indo Expo is it shady?

Indo Expo was today in Portland. Looking at the exhibitor roster it looks like BOG, Mephisto, Jinxproof, and La Plata were going to have booths set up. Turns out to not be the case; Jinxproof was there and had his booth set up, but BOG, Mephisto, and La Plata did not have a booth and were being “represented” by SeedsHereNow. Biggest reason for buying a ticket was to talk to the breeders, secondary was to check out the cool cannabis technology and whatnot. Am I just butthurt or is this kinda shady? Check out the screenshots of the exhibitor roster:

See how they are all listed as booth 201? Nothing next to their name saying that they weren’t going to be there, just SeedsHereNow selling their seeds. I know it’s nothing to do with BOG, Mephisto, and La Plata…just seems like their names were used in a deceptive manner by either Indo Expo or SeedsHereNow. Again…butthurt or shady?

6 Likes

Maybe a little of both.

The MJ world is a lot like the big world. All kinds.

I am guessing they were aiming at selling seeds more than introducing breeders.

Even if you didn’t meet them, might want their gear anyway :wink:.

4 Likes

Already got seeds from BOG, of course. And I’m sure SeedsHereNow sells seeds from more than just what was listed on the exhibitor roster. So why use just their names and make it seem like they’ve got a booth set up? I’m leaning toward shadiness right now…

And I wasn’t even there. I’m on the opposite coast.

3 Likes

Yes, shady. Should have been explicitly stated since a major reason to attend expositions of all ilk is to make introductions and direct deals with the OEMs.

5 Likes

The plot thickens. My buddy just sent me a screenshot of a convo with Mephisto:

He’s in Oregon and was actually there.

6 Likes

Interesting. Wonder what’s up.

1 Like

It’s one thing for Indo Expo / SeedsHereNow to use the breeders’ names like they were going to have a booth there. It’s a whole ‘nother thing if the breeders didn’t even know their names were being used. I wonder how many other people showed up thinking they were going to get to talk to BOG or Mephisto.

3 Likes

Meeting the breeders would be a major plus for me too.

Salespeople must be making the decisions.

Makes you wonder if they even have legit genetics for sale, or just a bunch of hay seed. :confused:

4 Likes

That’s why I don’t buy from seed banks, only direct from breeders or collectives. No telling what a seed bank is doing with the seeds they get from the breeders. Especially the poly-hybrids that people are paying $200 for.

4 Likes

Imagine being a breeder of say 30-40 years, and some salesperson decides it will be OK to sell crap with your name on it. How’s that going to play when the seeds turn out poor quality plants?

Ya, I think you have convinced me.

7 Likes

I’m not convinced yet, just very suspicious of shadiness. It’s not looking good for either Indo Expo or SeedsHereNow, but no idea who if anyone is playing the shady game.

1 Like

I go with the breeders. If Mephisto had no idea he was being showcased, how can you trust them? It is one thing to offer their genetics, but something smells here. My opinion.

3 Likes

It seems like they both were.

3 Likes

‘Twas me.

Very disappointed, chatting with BOG and Mephisto and checking out their offerings was the biggest draw for me.
Instead, I find they aren’t there, and seeds here now were charging more than just buying directly from their websites.

On the other hand, I scored 6 seeds of 9lbs hammer by jinxproof for $40. I didn’t get to meet Jinxproof, but he was there in person and his booth helpers were really friendly.

Seeing all the huge extraction machines was really cool too.

5 Likes

Yeah I guess I coulda just put a @fishdude in there. Doh!

Yeah I would be butthurt as well. They should say whether or not the breeder will be there or if it’s just going to be their genetics there. Personally, getting to meet the breeders would be the reason I would go to such an event. I can buy their seeds anytime online…

2 Likes

Troof

Mess up again and I’m stealing your Sannie’s Jack seeds

Cheers to Boveda as well for handing me a stack of samples instead of selling me a pack.

Some good people there, for sure.

2 Likes

that’s absolutely shady, the three businesses were listed as exhibitors at the convention with booth numbers? That’s BS - fraudulent. I recently drove 2 hours to a Maine convention because of Dynasty Seeds and a couple other vendors I wanted to check out.

The exhibitors are the reason you pay for the ticket. The convention is a chance to meet these people face-to-face and talk to them.

PS, I see Marrone Bio was there - I met their guys in Boston and they admitted they had no answer for fungus gnats! They felt bad so they loaded me up with some free hats & stuff.

4 Likes

:hourglass_flowing_sand: in the long run reputation will sort out the suckas & con artists & wannabes for the “legal” market.

think about how long it’s taken for our favorite breeders to establish their reputations…decades in most cases, right?

i approach any “cannabusiness” with extreme suspicion these days.

my last dispensary purchase was a few weeks before the July 1st mandate in CA that requires all product be tested…my throat was sore for that whole 1/2o bag. in other words, they liquidated a LOT of their crap into their cheaper options. 'wondered why my 1/2oz of shake was all pretty smaller buds. :thinking:

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like