Is stretch relative to branch size or just height to light

So if I grow a big plant under lights and then flatten it right out under a scrog net, is that plant going to stretch more than if I just grew a plant up to the net and the flipped? Is the stretch a x% of the existing branch size?

1 Like

It has more to do with genetics. Some stretch like crazy. Some don’t.

1 Like

Yeah I know its genetic, but if I took 2 clones of the same plant and vegged one for twice as long as the other and flattened it out under a net so they were both the same distance from light at flip, would the bigger plant stretch more?

Also night temp has an impact.

No they will be the same as long as environment is. And its the same cut

1 Like

Clones I couldn’t say

Good question! My best guess would be the bigger plant would stretch more.

Let’s say they double… A 1’ clone goes to 2’ but a 2’ clone would stretch to 4’?

But if you grow them horizontally I guess it doesnt really matter🤔

2 Likes

In my humble opinion it’s going to be more dependent on pot size / root mass than branch length. The clone in the bigger pot will stretch more. 2 rootbound clones one trained and one not are gonna stretch similarly

1 Like

For sure. I’d argue that’s because A. They are both small plants. If you vegged them out longer to truly fill both I think you’d see a bigger dichotomy in stretch. B. They’re both in tiny pots. Put one in a solo cup and one in a 20 gallon and the 20 gal is going to stretch more for sure.

1 Like

:arrow_down_small: Late in veg (putting into 12/12 that day): approx 36 inches tall off the top of the bucket

:arrow_down_small: 5 days into 12/12. I started her sideways like that because I knew she would stretch way too much if I let her flower vertically. That bucket is just to hold her up until I get the screen set up. You can see where she’s already adjusted to her new growth direction…

:arrow_down_small: Here she is 9 days later…

:arrow_down_small: And this is that same day, after the netting was put in place…

:arrow_down_small: And here she is, almost 3 weeks later. Stretch is over.

:arrow_down_small: And another (nearly) 3 weeks later, and she’s bulking up like you’d expect…

So, @KETAMINE_GRENADE, I don’t know if this answers your question directly, but it’s a real world example for you to use and judge for yourself.

Oh, and this is a strain that typically doubles in height during the stretch if left to grow upright.

14 Likes

This one has me stumped.

When you flatten out the plant, it will release apical dominance, allowing the plant to bush out more. This is the idea behind a ScrOG

My guess is without flattening it, you will get more stretch on a single main cola. The flattened plant will have more branches that each stretch less.

9 Likes

Reiko is thinking critically. Also more energy spent on recovery.

I’ve also noticed older plants seem to generally not stretch as much as a teen. Woody stem versus green is a big difference stretch wise.

13 Likes

I’d expect the smaller younger plant to stretch more that has been my experience more often then not. Genetics are the key factor but I have had many of stretchy strains that were tamed with the methods you describe.

5 Likes

The reason I’m asking is because to keep my plant numbers low for legal reasons I’d like to just grow 2 plants in bigger pots in a long tent and veg them longer to get a flattened canopy rather than like 10 plants. Just wondered if the bigger plants would stretch more or less. Might be a silly question but thanks all for your help.

1 Like

While woody stems do seem to stretch less than new growth, a lot of factors need to be considered when dealing with stretch.

My PC is very slow right now, I will try to post more info on stretch when I can.

1 Like

I started a new thread on stretch for others to access easily.
It is still a work in progress.

1 Like