Johnnypotseed’s 3-ring circus - with autos, photos & sex…reversals, that is! (Part 4)

I’m maintaining a view he was bragging about how good his wife cooked it and not trying to torture us

2 Likes

I’m sure that is absolutely wonderful sauce too. I hear Rose is a papered chef!
I know one thing though, I’d love to get Rose to cook up some with the sauce @BigMike55 makes! I’d founder on that meal!

6 Likes

lol I hope food isn’t all you think about cuz?

2 Likes

It really was so delicious, in looks as well as eating, I just had to share, no tease intended cuz!

3 Likes

:rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

This is from an ‘anonymous’ friend ,and again I ask that folks NOT post any guess on the identity.

Title: MTA UltimateUM// A Diatribe with Benefits!

OK, there are a plethora of Organic, eco-friendly, natural products marketed as Mite, Thrip, Aphid control agents. You will notice they all state product x “is exempt from EPA registration under FIFRA 25(b)”. It exempts the formulator from paying the huge dollars and extended period of review. The EPA receives minimal money for these registrations, as the individual states administer labeling, mill taxes, etc.

Of course, there are strict compliance rules, and both the active and inert ingredients MUST comply with the EPA lists:

Herein lies the rub…the ACTIVE ingredients are certainly viable. However, the inert ingredients are subpar for use in a contact critical insecticide. You see, the surfactant/emulsifier is CRUCIAL in both suffocating (plugging of trachea/spiracles) and delivering other active ingredients to the insect cuticle.

Now, there is an excellent non- ionic surfactant/emulsifier called Polysorbate 80. Ironically, the EPA has conducted extensive studies of the compound’s safety profile…It is used in ice cream,eye drops,mouthwash, salad dressings, a multitude of shampoos, skin creams and other cosmetics; in FACT it is actually used in small quantities in HUMAN Vaccines as a stabilizer! SO, WHY isn’t it on the EPA’s minimal risk list???

Hmmmm, let’s follow the money. It’s just a fact that the EPA receives the vast majority of fees from multiple large corporations that continuously develop and register new compounds, particularly AG chemical companies. Nothing wrong with that, we all benefit from advances in the plant sciences. It’s just that they have NO interest in seeing 25(b) components listed that will ACTUALLY be effective enough to COMPETE with commercial insecticides !

Understand, I have NO issues with any of the MULTITUDE of companies marketing insecticides labeled under the FIFRA 25(b) exemptions,they are doing the best they can! It’s just that they are all hobbled with less than stellar products. You have seen where their instructions include spraying every other day, or relying on ‘preventative’ applications. These products are fairly expensive by nature, and I’ve seen them priced up to $300/Gal (Really?).

I realize that neither I, nor anyone else, will ever be able to formulate and SELL a superb product under FIFRA 25(b)in the United States BUT, I SURE AS HELL can tell you how to make your own!! LOL, I like to call it MTA UltimateUm ! You call it whatever you like! All components of this formulation are provided (My ethanol is 100% and ‘Lab’ grade, but you can easily substitute Everclear [ 95% ethanol] 190 Proof). The only deviations from the EPA lists are Ethanol vs. Isopropyl Alcohol and the Polysorbate 80 Food Grade vs ‘crap’.

OK, so you listened to my diatribe….YOU DESERVE THE BENEFIT !

The only equipment necessary is a pitcher, a hand blender, a scale to weigh the Citric and L-Malic acids, and accurate calibration pitchers to measure your liquids. I will include pictures formulating in a glass beaker, so you can see what’s going on.
Ingredients are;
Cottonseed oil ( food grade frying oil bought online, 96 ozs)Amazon-Glicks-$25.99
Distilled water (I use deionized just because I have it available)
Polysorbate 80 Food Grade (I bought a 32 oz [900 gm] bottle online)Amazon-Velona-$32.00
Food grade Citric acid (many sources online)
Food grade L-Malic acid (many sources online)
100% Ethanol (Hey, Everclear will work just fine at 190 proof). Let’s send the little basturds out with a buzz!
NOTE: Polysorbate 80 is available world wide, Many brand names exist (Tween 80…etc). Food grade formulations are readily available and should be used in this formulation ! I’ll be using Everclear.

Formulation:

1. Measure out 18 fluid ounces (532ml) of distilled water and pour in you pitcher/beaker.

2. Weigh out 50 grams of EACH, Malic and Citric acid, and add to pitcher.Dissolve in water with your hand blender.

3. Add 25 fluid ounces(739ml) of cottonseed oil to pitcher.

4. Add 150 ml of Ethanol to pitcher.

5. Add 5 fluid ounces(148ml) of Polysorbate 80 Food Grade and hit it with your hand blender for 2-3 minutes, and you will have a beautiful, stable emulsion ready to go ! This formula will yield about 52 ounces (1538ml)of MTA UltimateUM. By halfing all ingredients, you’ll have about 26 ounces(769ml) for short term storage…you can mix more at will with the ingredients on hand. That means with the 96 oz of cottonseed oil, you will yield 197 ozs ( 1.5 GALLONS/5826ml) of concentrate! (I would only prepare one batch at a time to keep it fresh and available!)

Application Instructions:

Application rate is 1.5-2 ounces (45-59ml) per Gallon (3.785Liters) water. Apply directly to all leaf and plant surfaces.You will immediately note how nicely it spreads! (That’s the idea !) Ideal coverage is a fine droplet application as provided with a fogger, airless paint sprayer, or even a small handpump sprayer…you get the idea, you are looking for uniform coverage but no need to drown the plant!

MTA UltimateUM will kill all life stages (eggs, nymphs, adults) of mites, thrips and aphids. This is a ‘one and done’ application. If you covered them they’re DEAD! There is no need for multiple applications OR preventative sprays. You see em, you spray em, you forget em !

It’s advisable to wear eye protection, long sleeve shirt, and latex or nitrile gloves during applications. The acids and alcohol are eye irritants, and some people may have skin sensitivity to exposure.

Precautions:

Would avoid applying to foliage that has previously been treated with strong Copper, wetable sulfur, or lactic acid (milk) fungicide treatments.

In greenhouse/indoor grows it’s always best to apply during the early ‘light’s out’ period. In outdoor grows during hot weather, it’s always best to apply at early dusk.

Polysorbate Residual?

Our 0.16% Food Grade Polysorbate 80 breaks down exactly the same as all vegetable oils applied to plants (sunlight/light,oxidation and hydrolysis). If you use on buds 7-10 days prior to harvest, you can use a hydrogen peroxide (strong oxidizer) bud wash to remove all oils and emulsifiers immediately!

Fungicidal Activity

It’s a well known fact that Citric, and especially L-Malic acids, are anti-microbial, so some control of mildews or molds may be observed. My intentions are that MTA UltimateUM be used to control soft bodied insects. Hypochlorous acid is a much more potent candidate for eliminating all Fungal, Bacterial, and Viral pathogens safely in plants.

Plant Safety

MTA UltimateUM had been applied to fruits, vegetables, cannabis, and a multitude of ornamentals without any phytotoxic events. Obviously, I can”t say that ALL plants have been tested. If you are concerned, do a test spray on small area.

Well, there it is on a silver platter, you can take it or leave it !!!

I’ll be mixing up a ‘half-batch’ for the test, with pics, of course!

Ok, here we go folks.
first pic is 9 fluid ounces of distilled water(1/2 recipe)

next 2 pics are adding 25grams each of the Malic and Citric acid

this pic is dissolving/mixing them into the water

pic of the first 2 ingredients dissolved

next pics are adding the 12.5 ounces of Cottonseed Oil

next pic is adding the Everclear 75ml

pic of how it’s looking so far

next up is adding the 2.5 oz of Polysorbate 80 I measured it out into a ‘measure/calibrated shotglass’

next pic is everything well blended (about 3 minutes)

last pic, ready for use/storage

That’s it folks! I’ll let you know how well it works tomorrow.

OK, treatment is done and there IS a noticeable difference, eggs are dissolved and no sign of the larvae, nymphs, or adults. This was on a couple ‘test leaves’ We sprayed the whole room, and these couple leaves, I took before & after pics.Sorry about the zoom in, this is as clear as I can get with the phone camera

Based on observations, I’d say this stuff work! Now to check periodically for any return of these F’ers! .lol

This has been moved to;

10 Likes

Deff 1 of the million things I think of throughout ht the Day … First appearance you wouldn’t think I would be able to eat six pieces of pizza some wings and then polish down a half gallon of ice cream later that night lol…

2 Likes

I see a tutorial coming :grin:

1 Like

Everything is now posted. I’ll be mixing it, and testing, either today or tomorrow, as soon as I’m able to do it. Also post comments as I go, with pics.

I don’t know how bad SMs are in some other parts of the world, but in Oklahoma, they’re bad! You can pick em up just about anywhere! It’s been a constant battle for us, and I’m so damn sick and tired of products that only help hold em down a bit, not total eradication! Which is what I’d much rather have, lol
This will be a godsend to all, and again I thank ‘anonymous’ for this effort on his part. Also, as you can see, it’s been tested on a lot of plants, INCLUDING Ganja!

That is mentioned in the last paragraph, under
Plant Safety

7 Likes

I’m one of many interested to hear your results!

1 Like

If the companies that make pesticde products ever were to actually sell a product that works 100%, first time, there’d be no need of buying the expensive products they sell, and they’d be out of business very quickly! It’s a ‘big business industry’ that prefers us to need to keep buying their weak crap. lol

2 Likes

That’s true for a lot of industries.
Why would they want to actually help when the end result puts them out of business?

Cue that Tarzan Yell @Pigeonman
I’m sure thats worthy of a Parade…

There are a couple of examples of this that I personally have experienced.

1. about 20 yrs ago, we bought a 1yr flea treatment for our dogs, expensive but worth it, because it actually worked very well! When we went back to the vets to get it again, they told us ‘it worked too well and the company no longer makes it’!
  2. I had occasion to do some rebuild work in a petro-chemical refinery in south Texas in 1980. We had to change in the locker room for employees. On a poster board they’d posted the results of a contest among employees for the most fuel efficient engine modification. An employee won it with a carburetor that got 280mpg, (YES, you read that right, 280mpg carburator modification!)This was on a V-8 engine! In 1980!!!
    Naturally as it was done under the companies auspices, it belonged to the company. They patented it then proceeded to bury it!

These 2 things are a prime example of why folks can’t find stuff that is truly great! The big corps would be outta business in no time!

6 Likes

@JohnnyPotseed not just the pesticide people. I printed millions of labels for Spectracide products. Nasty shit, but kept me busy. All those plastic jug makers too.
Packaging as an industry is just massive.

2 Likes

After I’m done with the mixing and testing, I might just move it to a stand-alone tutorial post.

3 Likes

I have mixed the ‘one-n-done’ MTA UltimateUM
all pics of the process are now posted in post#475

3 Likes

Sorry about that. My sincere apologies

1 Like

post removed

I got excited and missed your opening sentence :disappointed:

1 Like