Just hit a wall -- an electrical one!

The photos and descriptions here in were performed by a professional with years of experience and a college degree at no time should novices attempt this dangerous type of work by themselves , these wire we’re filmed on a closed course under controlled circumstances at no time will Uncle_Al be liable for self electrocutions,self immolation or incidental arson of a dwelling or factory

4 Likes

@Viva_Mexico just let me know where to send my bill for professional consultation. Lol. Mexican household wiring may vary feel free to p.m. me with tougher questions regarding this installation.

i’m not sure if he even asked a question!

2 Likes

Here is the question. :grin:

1 Like

yeah i guess i read that as a statement not a question, i assumed he had solved it already

1 Like

@Cannarose not exactly. Assuming you are in the US.

You are not charged by amps, you are charged by kilowatt-hours. Watts = Volts * Amps, so when you halve your amp usage by doubling your volts, it comes out to the same amount of watts.

BUT running at 240v can lower your electric bill because of how the power meter calculates your usage. The meter doesn’t charge you based on your actual usage, not even the smart meters, because the power company can make more money by fucking you. Residential service has two legs of 120v coming into the meter, the meter measures them and whichever leg is has the greater load, it doubles that and says that’s your whole usage. You may have 20 amps on one leg, and 5 amps on the other leg, but you’re getting charged for kilowatt-hours based on 2 * 20 amps * 120v.

That’s how they fuck you. They forced us to switch to digital meters to prevent people from rigging the old meters to steal electricity, the digital meters know what your real usage is yet they use the old method to calculate the charges.

So when you put something big like your lights on 240v you’re spreading that load equally across the two legs, so that load is “balanced”, and are being charged for exactly what you’re using. You want your household load balanced across the two legs as much as possible because any imbalance is basically paying for nothing.

2 Likes

Now you can have the digital meter programed to mark the amount of consumption you want monthly. One of my neighbors did it. You just have to know someone at the electric company. (Easier said than done)

1 Like

Are you using ceramic metal halide lamps or metal halide lamps. To my knowledge cmh lamps only come in 315 or 630 watt?? sorry old thread

Yes…this is an old thread. Since then, I solved the electrically problem. Turned out the one of the CHM lights (630 watt) was bad. After I removed the light, the problem was solved.

Wait a tic. . . . . the above referred to another post. Sorry. . . it really has been a while.

I really don’t recall what this post was about. But, I do know the members of this group helped me to solve it. Because of all of the responses, I am looking at harvesting. . . . which is another problem in of it self. How in the heck to you flush your plants “inside” a grow tent?

Anyway, late or not, thank you for responding

CannaRose

2 Likes

my plants are inside plastic storage bins w/ like 6" walls, can fit 2 5g smart pots in each, and i use a wet/dry vac to remove water. i picked up a bucket head at home depot for like $20 on sale i think.

edit : @MadScientist can you move this to the proper thread… didn’t see that 1 yet

https://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Head-BH0100-Wet-Powerhead/dp/B008YIEIHQ

2 Likes

Sheer genius Legalcanada!

well water did get trapped under the containers from spraying foliars and essential oils, i couldn’t get it with the vac so i should probably get it with a towel or something, so watch out for that lol