Keeping Sativas small with Upstate

Let me get back to you with my questions just learning a little bit about the subject today. I am getting ready to run some photos and would like to Try this as I will have a chance to try something new and would like to succeed.

3 Likes

Yeah, that works. It’s really easy once you get the hang of it. If you up pot and the plants grow a foot in a week, leave them in that container longer than you would have. If they aren’t growing big enough, up pot. You are driving a Ferrari and only need to hit the gas up pot) for speed😁 or hit the brakes( leave them) if they are too big.

20 Likes

I happen to have some Lambsbread plants as a prop to help explain. These plants have been growing for two months. I put them in a half gallon container around 4 weeks ago for the first set and 3 weeks ago for the second set. These plants want to get big. I need them to make lots of seed, so I’m not trying to keep them really small… but will try for around 4 feet to show it can be done.
Truth be told, the plants could be finished in a 2 gallon container if I wanted to do that. They are still happy and just now the bigger plants want some food. I will top dress with chicken poo. ( pelletized) and give them some cal mag, 15 drops/ gallon.
If I kept these in the small containers another 2 weeks, that would be week 9 and 10 of flowering, and all are still under a foot tall atm. They’d be maybe another 6 inches tall in 2 weeks. I’m almost halfway done, too.
It’s actually one of those epiphany moments where I look at the small plants and think…oh shit…I better get these moving or they will be TOO small. No problem. Into one gallon containers next. They will shoot up a foot in a week and then slow down…and I’ll decide if I want another growth spurt or not. If I don’t, I’ll keep them in one gallon until the stretch is over. That’s THE most important thing about keeping sativas small. You MUST keep them bound up until the stretch is over or nearly so.
The stretch phase begins somewhere around week 6 for faster Sativas and around week 8 or 10 with later Sativas. Some Sativas stretch twice…first in height, as Old Silversides does, and then again when the secondary branches come in. The stretch lasts 4-12 weeks or so, depending on total flowering time, roughly broken into thirds. A third of the time they grow normally, a third of the time they stretch and a third of the time they concentrate on bud. @HumblePie420 has his Oaxaca in an Earth box during the stretch. So he will have his tree😁

26 Likes

I really I appreciate what you are doing for me. I grew a long time ago with only limited knowledge. Rate now I am looking to learn how to grow and control photoperiod plants much better with todays technology, learn to clone, learn how, when and where to take clippings to grow out, produce seeds, and get the best tasty weed possible. Try and stay close to organic. Learn more about pruning techniques. Make a better decision on strain choices.

3 Likes

There is either organic or not organic. Nothing in between. If you grow using salty fertilizer and organics, you are wasting your money on organics. Plants feed themselves or are force fed. They either build a fungal network underground and farm microbes that help them, or you use chemical fertilizer which bypasses this network and actually kills it. Like putting salt on a slug. To try to do both will work, but the organics are not able to be used by the plant. Hope that makes sense.

14 Likes

Ok a combination of both is necessary to achieve the goals I am ask to achieve. Do the plant gets what it needs.

2 Likes

A combination in UNnecessary.:grin:

3 Likes

What is UN?

1 Like

Lol. Unnecessary sorry about that.

Ok I understand it was not necessary :joy:

1 Like

This whole exchange has been unnecessary :joy:

9 Likes

UN necessary lol

3 Likes

Did someone say unnecessary? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Those last 6 posts were like an exchange in a Monty Python clip, lol.

Here’s some Lambsbread, started 7 weeks ago today, and in half gallon containers.

Here’s a rep from the first batch, started one week earlier. You can see they begin their stretch between week 7 and 8. So now I know that for the next 6 or 8 weeks these are going To be growing like crazy. If I were to up pot right now they would get huge. As it is the plants are quite content in their small containers. Not even root bound yet.
When plants need transplanting, they tell you by hanging their leaves down. They are telling you the tap root is starting to circle. If you don’t transplant you are risking hermaphrodites. Males sag first, then females. It will be OK for one more week, but I will have to transplant before they get rootbound. They will go into one gallon containers and they will grow a foot before the following weekend which will put me at 2 and a half feet tall 2 weeks from now at week 12 of 23.
If I wanted to I could cut 6" off these plants right now and it wouldn’t phase them. Of course there is folding too.

27 Likes

That is great information that I was not aware of. Good way to see what the plants are telling you.

2 Likes

What is folding?

2 Likes

Not necessarily.

3 Likes

Lol. @BigMike55 UN necessarily😁
@OhNo555 folding… bend or fold the stems to grow horizontally to keep height down.
Sagging top is showing root is starting to circle the pot.

The more it circles, the more the plant sags. Males do this quicker than females and ive sexed plants this way with 99% accuracy, for my own strain at least.

18 Likes

Got it, back to research for me. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Top notch information you’re laying on us brother.

9 Likes