Keeping Sativas small with Upstate

So many questions and so much research to as the game has really changed from back in the 70s.

6 Likes

True the “game” is different but botany remains. At least today there are a few that will share what they know without requiring a blood oath. lol

9 Likes

I have just lived through that experience. Surely we’re not related? LOL

4 Likes

They’ll trigger quicker after you veg them is all.

7 Likes

Yours is much prettier than mine. Mine was a snarled mess with lots of trimming and acceptable losses.

4 Likes

Well thank you. You should be glad you weren’t there while I cleaned out the bloody Monster tent. Snort.

6 Likes

Yeah, if you can plan it’s better. Like my Oaxaca from @Upstate never started flowering until the sun went to 12/12. Everything else in the garden started a month before.

So, if you veg some satties a few months before or in the middle of winter, then get your cuttings rooted good first, when you go outside you’ll get a faster onset of flowering. It’s about the plant being mature enough. I’m still learning the best tricks, too.

I left my Oaxaca in 2 gallon pots for a month or two and only up potted my two favorites into 5-7 gallon felt pots just before flowering. They never stretched beyond where they were at in the 2 gallon pots during veg.

11 Likes

I don’t agree with the 12/12 from seed on sativa’s. Last time I did that on a haze leaner I had a well over 5ft tall plant.

I’d much rather veg them out in small pots for ~60 days under 24/0. Long enough to get mature and show preflowers. Then take clones. THEN flower the clones under 11/13 or 10/14. Going from 24/0 to flower schedule generally kicks flower in gear a ~week faster in my experience. If they stretch like crazy then crush the stems between each node as the branches stretch every day or two, to limit internode spacing, so you don’t have to supercrop as often if at all.

22 Likes

Thanks for the reply😎

3 Likes

(I don’t even clean out pollen I just let it sit there forever)

4 Likes

Lol, yep, but keep asking them! That’s what this place is for. Once I got back into growing about 9 years ago I had to grasp the fact that I didn’t know my ass from a hole in the ground.

Starting in the 70’s using nothing but Alaskan Fish Fertilizer (it’s still on the shelf all these years later) and dumb luck, and later on with the Miracle Grow days, things have really changed, haaa.

We’ll get you up to speed! peace

9 Likes

I felt the same way back in the day all you had was high times and local hippies and everything thing was DIY. Nobody talk case of the man and not wanting to be hassled. Only bag seed grows or you had to risk your money for seeds from Amsterdam no web only snail mail :joy::joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

yep. that’s how i started. drop ship address that we watched. split 4 packs with a friend.

2 Likes

@OhNo555 if you are going to do a pheno hunt for a keeper clone make sure to do your selection based off of the clone run. The clone will express different than the seed plant you take it from

6 Likes

That’s why I’m making this thread. To show people how to do it and not end up with a 5’ plant.
I haven’t had 1 hit 4’ yet

17 Likes

You DA man

2 Likes

The container should keep them smaller outside also if I’m understanding correctly.

2 Likes

So, with my upcoming Oaxacan in mind, would it be effective, in your opinion, to go
-seed start bag
-1/2 gallon
-1 gallon
-3 gallon final size
?
I don’t have #2’s, and the one gal. Air pot just barely fits inside the 3 gal.

5 Likes

Can you recommend an article for me to read as that is very new to me as I am trying to broaden my skills or send me a link that would be helpful.

1 Like

I don’t have any articles I can point you to. I’ll answer your questions to the best of my ability.

3 Likes