Krusty Freedom Buckets

I’m not sure I should post in this, as these are what I made as close to K’s design, that I had funds for.
So my just version of the Krusty bucket system.
I’m thinking this was 2002- 2003 time frame.
I had to build my light kits from maintenance electrical supply places, as HID’s were crazy expensive, back then. All that information was posted up in here.
This was a test, 10 psi, was perfect, as it would send vapor trails up through the 21 pounds (LB’s) of large chunk lava rock, or 3 bags worth per bucket.
DSCF0028 froth at ten psi
DSCF0001Kbucket -lava rock 21lbs
This was after my first run, and made some improvements, to the drain system. I found my solution spent to much time getting back to the sunken reservoir, with 3/4 drain lines. The 1 inch worked a treat!
DSCF0005
Sunken reservoir was in the next room, I drilled holes through the block walls for pipe access.
passive resy running
Since I pulled solution from the bottom of that sump pit, it was always in the 68F - 72F perfect hydro temperatures.
OMG, so embarrassing to post this up. My first stab at trying to Rube Goldberg a system together, what a silly idea, that was!! But it pushed me to go full on correct.
DSCF0033 kfb first day 10-22-02
Ultimately, I got there.
7 3 04 room b
2fer b
9 25 04 d
My buds never got a thick and amazing as Krusty’s did, but I honestly, did not care, we were thrilled with them.
Lots of dancing the verticals, ever few days. I think I had 3400 watts of HPS/MH, from 400’s to 1 k’s, all bare bulb, verticals, not easy at all, but so full filling for me.
Took a few days of searching for them, as when I found OG, I was teaching myself, how to use my Tiny Computer system, god was THAT awful, freaking 98 Second Edition, was not friendly to welder dudes and manual reading.
All the best to your project.

2 Likes

OMG! Thanks so much for posting those pics.
It is a lot of work. I remember rinsing that lava.
Also, I built my own light kits too back then, seven hard drive pics ago.
I don’t have pics here.
I posted a “Build thread,” and “My First Tree.”
Great times!
I obtained this new ballast. It is 1000 watts and does both HPS and MH.
It is lightweight and has adjustable wattage.

BallastAdjust

1 Like

I prefer 1” drain also with 1”1/2 nute height in the bottom of the bucket. I also used a 1" washer machine hose for drain as it is flexible, thick and heat resistant.

What is that PVC with holes in your pics?
Did you use C02?

1 Like

I still use these nutes.
I think they’re amazing and simple to do.
Same as Krusty said.

1 Like

I used new sewer pipe (so cheap) in the rafters, that was connected to a plenum in the attic.
I found a sweet spot, that I could run straight up to the attic, through the very corner of a closet above, then to the attic.
All cobbled together but it worked perfect, and I only paid like $30.00 for the plenum.
I’m in organic set up now.

Also I remember one great recommendation krusty said that he used Chicken Wire on the ceiling for tying up the buds. Stress free. It worked perfect.

webeblzr, Were your PVC /(sewer pipes) used for C02?

I hope I didn’t hijack this this thread. I’ll try to find my old krusty pics.
I remember no-one too. That sign was funny.

1 Like

Hey innerSanctum, I still use that idea, but garden wire, it is a bit more ridged.

No, CO2, as I was growing in open area. To me, with all the extra headaches, the extra expense, for a possible 30% increase, just did not, make sense to me.

I was already, up to my ass in alligators, (running issues) snapping at my ass, until all the small defects were found, and eliminated.
The 2 biggies, roots, and solution management, after, my first year, I did figure out how to go away on vacation, and let the system cycle without an incident.
Passive resy3 and sunken resy

The sewer pipe, never used of course, LOL, was for extracting, always pulling air upwards to the plenum to simply, keep the air moving.

I loved his grow system, and it pushed me, so far into the unknown, I learned so much from that experience. With todays tech, and sensors???
Was a great experience for me. It was a great source of headaches, as I did not have the bank roll, to build it to Krusty’s exacting detail.
So, I more failed the system, since I had to cobble it together, on a shoe string, so to speak.
Ask away, I’m more than happy to show what I did, it is just not a pure pure Krusty.