Question about bucket choice

I’m starting a new room from scratch. Are there reasons why I shouldn’t use this bucket? Please read…

In my previous setup, I had (48) 2-gallon black buckets (16 under each 1K light), though sometimes used a 4 or 5 gallon bucket if a plant got huge in veg. Here’s a rudimentary diagram:

Here’s the bucket:

The 2 gallon buckets worked great for my system, so I planned on going with the same ones. HOWEVER…after doing some comparison shopping, it seems it’s cheaper for me to go with either a 3.5 gallon black bucket, a 2 gallon white bucket…OR - this 9 quart bucket / pail.

The (approximate) best prices I’ve found:

• 2 gallon black bucket like I’ve previously used is $2.95/each if I buy 50. This doesn’t include roughly $40 for shipping
  • 3.5 gallon black bucket (same shape as the 2 gal) for $3.60 each with free shipping
  • 2 gallon white bucket (same as 2 gal, only white) for $1.80 each with free shipping
  • 9 quart (2.25 gallon) bucket / pail for $1.00 each (shipping not required)

If I didn’t have concerns about using white buckets, I would get those without a 2nd thought. But I’m concerned about algae build-up over the course of an 8 to 12 week flowering cycle.

So, is there a reason why I shouldn’t get the 9 quart pail? Please let me know your thoughts. Also, if you know of a better value for the 2 gallon buckets, please tell me!

Thanks for reading!

10 Likes

Lmao at your name :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I would make sure if you get the white buckets that they are light proof.

I would also analyze the thickness of the material. Those 9 quart pails may be thin.

9 Likes

Get the White ones and spray them Black.

5 Likes

White bucket. Don’t you run them double?

4 Likes

The white buckets will only be light proof after putting multiple layers of duct tape or black paint (designed for plastic). Neither is a permanent solution after extended use.

Yeah, I can’t be confident of the thickness of the plastic of the 9 qt pail, but it only needs to be thick enough to ensure a good seal with the rubber grommet installed. I’ll see if I can get the mfr specs.

4 Likes

No, @Viva_Mexico, single bucket per site.

5 Likes

If those pails are like the ones from the dollar store then they are prone to cracking. Very thin and rigid plastic.

4 Likes

They are exactly that, @ATM, though they were not described as “thin and rigid”. I couldn’t get the technical spec’s anywhere, so I called the closest store to have the clerk inspect it for me. I asked her if it was rigid, like a 5 gallon bucket, and she said it was flexible, which is not an issue if that’s true. But I think the actual thickness is the key data point, considering that’s going to impact how water-tight the grommet is. I might pick one up and put it through a test before I commit to an entire room full of them.

4 Likes

If color is no issue (I have been using them for soil and for compost storage until needed): Deli’s, Bakeries and Supermarket deli’s as well, have 4 gal. up to 5 gal. buckets almost always white, that had cake frosting or cake batter in them with lids. They are rectangular in shape (line-up perfectly to save space on pallets), usually 12" or so x 9" or so about 15" or so tall. They will usually give them away (if they have a ton of them and have a problem with them clogging the dumpster) or sell them for a $1.00 each, if they ask for more, I walk away, they end up agreeing with me, usually. Next time I take pics. I will snap one of it as an example for y’all.

regards,

mike28086

8 Likes

Thanks, @mike28086. Actually, I think color is an issue due to algae build-up in a long flowering cycle. Otherwise, I would be happy to get the 2 gallon buckets @ $1.80/each.

6 Likes

I’m actually glad this discussion came up. I’m considering DWC with buckets, maybe these buckets (so all and any info is good info to start dissecting through.

regards,

mike28086

6 Likes

Wrap aluminum/foil tape around the outside of white buckets to stop light penetration. One layer and you’re done. Better yet, buy black buckets and be done with it.

Myself, I use 5 gallon buckets simply because you can get net pots of various sizes that are made to fit on the top of them and save yourself a lot of screwing about. I bought my buckets at a local hydro store. I think I paid $6 a piece for them.

I just happen to have a bunch of 8" net pots I’d be willing to sell cheap if they’ll suit your needs. I couldn’t find individual net pots for a price I was willing to pay and bought a bulk lot of 25. At the moment I’m using 6, leaving me with 19 I can part with.

If you want to use grommets, just run a bead of silicone around them unless you can see a reason to remove them in the future. You can also get threaded “bulkhead” fittings that will give the option to remove them if need be. They are pricey though. For about the cost of two bulkhead fittings, I opted for grommets and a tube of GE Silicone II.

4 Likes

Thank you for the offer, when I have investigated a little more, I will be sure to respond to you.

regards,

mike28086

3 Likes

Dollar store plastic become brittle under high intensity light, and don’t last more than a couple of years.

3 Likes

More water volume is almost always better. Black if you can, food grade if you can. Taping 48 buckets sounds like a tedious chore to save a few bucks.

1 Like

That’s what I meant, brittle. They do flex, but they crack easily.

1 Like

I can recommend square over round buckets. The grommets fit better.

3 Likes

@Viva_Mexico and @vernal, as mentioned, I’ve used the black 2 gallon buckets before and they worked perfectly for 8 years. I had zero issues with the grommets fitting and zero issues with water volume holding back the growth. In fact, if I placed a similar sized plant into a 2 gallon bucket and a 4 or 5 gallon bucket, the end result was virtually the same. The root ball in the smaller bucket was much more tightly packed within the hydroton (which I reused for the same 8 years), but the plants were basically the same size.

However, if @ATM is correct about the 9 quart bucket / pail becoming brittle, that’s an issue I’d like to avoid. It would be great if I could see the grow diary of someone who personally experienced this. I searched the OG 2.0 archives, but couldn’t find anything…

3 Likes

The reason I use silicone on my grommets is I’ve got really bad luck. I’m one of those people that if not for bad luck, I would have no luck at all. I had visions of going out and coming home to find 50 gallons of water on the floor and figured I’d spent the time.

After I just finished reading about Viva_Mexico’s fire, I’m planning to do something about fire protection too. And not just the smokie’s I already have installed. I don’t care if it’s just sprinkler heads hacked into a garden hose somehow. It’d kill me to think my dogs got hurt due to a fire that may have been prevented.

7 Likes