Landrace Expansion & Trade

Some of the original strains from Mexico would prob be the closest thing to a North American landrace you can find and those where mostly introduced to Mexico. In terms of north American heirlooms there are many and most are getting hard to find. It’s always about the new thing and unfortunately alot gets left in the past if people like us don’t make efforts to keep them around. We have a great community of preservationists here helping to secure the genetic history our wonderful plant.

4 Likes

That’s a good question; What did George Washington grow?

2 Likes

Hemp brought over from the old world most likely British.

1 Like

Thanks @Heritagefarms, I’m in, anyone have any geographical strains that never made it nation wide. Love to get a list together and do some heirloom preservation/giveaways so they will all be OG .

2 Likes

Idk, We’re the British historically big on Cannabis? Seems more likely they’d be importing than producing anything.

I keep reading that Jefferson smuggled seeds out of China but I haven’t found any good info on that yet

2 Likes

Seeds traveled the Silk Road and were dispersed throughout the world…the original OGer’s

2 Likes

The Oaxacan might not really be Oaxacan, Bodhi even says he can not verify,from what I remember he got it from a life guard on Zipolite beach which is in Oaxaca, so it could be or possibly a hybrid of it…

5 Likes

The Michigan Redbud must have been the lowland Punta Rojo crosses to finish at 42N, maybe with and Afghanistan circa 1970 we named it Wheelchair Weed, sitting with half a joint going out… and it was a creeper too.

3 Likes

I’m still wanting to do a Lemon Thai (Thai x Hawaiian) preservation.
I really hope one of the LT seeds I have holds the lemon/melon, melon phenotype. It’s got the best flavor that I’ve found.

I don’t have room at the moment and already have a lot of plants going… 2 moms, 21 in veg and 10 half way through flower with 1 Mexican and 2 ADub x Pure Kush fem seedlings, so far.

This is what boredom does to a grower with two healthy mother plants and a seed collection that is in the thousands.
… if I had more space, I’d…

7 Likes

He grew hemp, as did many other prominent early Americans. From the early 1600’s to the 1800’s growing a small amount of hemp was a requirement of law that citizens grow it to be used used in the textile industry. It was also used as an alternative to money for paying taxes.

I’m sure not everything our Founding Fathers grew and used was purely hemp. The crosses/strains they grew back then would be our heirloom/landrace strains if we knew what they were. A landrace is a plant that has been grown in the same locality, unchanged by outside influences, for decades or centuries. I have wondered about what drug-cannabis crosses they may have enjoyed back then and what the high was like.

If I could grow weed to pay my taxes… that would be alright with me!

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s definitely true, but that’s the white-washed version. He wrote a few things that sounds to me like they regularly smoked their buds, so it seems unreasonable to me that they would only be smoking low-thc varietals.

3 Likes

Another Midwest strain, Moose Tranquilizer…, we had names back the…:smile:
Wonder what effects that has?

1 Like

Kevorkian, kryptonite and Moose knuckles from Wisconsin in the UP.

1 Like

Interesting to ponder. A friends family had an heirloom we know for sure was grown since the early 70s when he saw her growing it. She said she’d always grown it and she was quite old at the time so it must go back much further than the 70’s. The family has Tuscarora( local) Indian ancestry. Tuscarora means keepers of the hemp in their language. Research says this " hemp" was milkweed, but Tuscarora elders disagree emphatically … .So… the plants are interesting…and so is the family grow style. Seeds are massive and mottled. The family plants in a circular area maybe 5 -7 feet wide. Plants grow upwards and are tied out. They get up to 15 feet from what they have said., but not all of them. Buds can be tight. Rock hard . Ive smelled chocolate among other smells i cant describe. Sometimes there is mold. Sometimes not. I grew one and it molded, but may have had my afghani in it by that time in that batch. I’ve pondered what the ancestry could be on such an old heirloom. Nepalese? Mazar? Both fit the bill heightwise. Or could it be older. Much older. Could it be the old chinese hemp cultivated in the area since before the revolution, selected for potency, and entrusted to the tuscarora by the Iroquois to be passed down to this day? There is definate strong effects. Stoned more than high, but ive only tried it a few times. Never grew it, but that one plant. I have seeds somewhere from 2018…which should be pure. If there is interest i could pop a couple…

7 Likes

I have 16 beans coming of the Paw to check it out sent cash today and GLG is in state. Plan on dropping 5 when it arrives and get them to show and females to flower ASAP. If it is close to as I remember Maybe one of you can walk me through seeding it. Never grown a male…:kissing:. It’s funny as many things as I have read on it no one has been able to show a pic of it wet or dry, seen a few dry bud that look like it on google. Dark green with orange hairs and crystal resin. I’ll probably be disappointed smoking all the 20+ strains and 80% vape. I really think it was more visceral though, everything from bag to buz was colorful, scent intoxicating but not overpowering, fluffy buds that break apart and multiply into fragrant lighter florets, first hit wraps you in warmth and rises right to the head. Buz is Sativa like But in no way racy, very cerebral, with focused thought and heightening of all the senses. Music, art, discussion all seemed at another level. I always thought it was something brought back from Vietnam because of the timing of its origin here ( end of the war)and how totally different it was from anything I had tasted besides Thai stick. Even now being able to taste all of today’s flavors I have never found anything with such a unique and pleasing experience overall.

5 Likes

@Instg8ter I’m wondering if the red bud you speak of was the same thing as the red hair sinsemilia aka red hair skunk that was very common from the eighties to early nineties in california. I understood it was originally from Mexico but it looked identical to the skunk red hair nirvana released around the same time. The red bud here wasn’t super strong but was much stronger then the standard brick weed. It had thick reddish orange hairs and the way the buds formed they had a sort of spiral appearance. The hairs were very thick and coverd the nug,not fluffy though dense hard little fur balls .we rolled a pure hair joint at one point because they were that easy to separate once broken up lol. Sweet to skunky tasting , and the guys I got it from also had what they called Columbian, it was darker more choc and coffee tasting and stickier. I can’t promise when but I have seeds of that and a few other Mexican strains I’ll be preserving and distributing on here at some point.

9 Likes

Can you give us a teaser? What Mexicans do you have? Are you talking above of monkey paw or red hair mex?

1 Like

Saw talks of a seed run with a handful of people…is that still going down? I’ll pitch in for some beans if someone can do the growing part. My plate is full with the Afghani x bbnl and freakshow runs…and my personal smoke.

5 Likes

I’m down for chipping in as well, but I think finding the Grower’s the issue here. Everyone’s got a full plate already for the season… Are we still talking about the lambsbread here? Right?

4 Likes

Main players in the monkey paw were reported to be Acapulco Gold x columbian gold x Afghan Kush, same as Skunk#1. Yes you got it on the red hair skunk. Is that the one with huge round snake skin seeds or is that the hawiian? The Paw would come in around same time as Thai stick every year and went for even more. Columbo’s were the standard brick weed and hit and miss on quality. All colors of hash, I was a fan of the sticky black.

6 Likes