Landraces and heirloom

Thank you so much for growing this variety brother.
Flowers are looking amazing :heart_eyes:
I’m gonna keep sending you unique Indian landraces.
Loved the flowers colour.

I’m waiting for ur smoke report

10 Likes

I hope you go for some C99 as it might be longer until I get to mine hehehe. She is a fast one. What time of year does it start to flower if you’re hoping to have her in by end Aug?

2 Likes

I’ll start flowering indoors and plants will go out in May sometime, for the finish. Old Silversides flowers 13 weeks or so as a cutting. 2 wewks more from seed.

5 Likes

I remember people growing “Thai Stick” like plants in Cali back in the day.

This was when hydro was a new thing. People had these tiny single cola buds, that they would bundle up. Looks dead on Thai Stick sans strings…:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The biggest thing I miss about the era before THC was a scheduled narcotic is the Hash Joints. You used to be able to buy packs of joints of pure dry sift hash. :grin::grin: Can’t wait to see what rolls out in the future once THC is descheduled.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

6 Likes

Maybe this isn’t the best place to ask, but I’m still new here. Are they any collectors or breeders that are considered to be a generally reliable source of landrace strains? I was looking at red scare seeds but haven’t read much about them on here

@illdub89 You may want to browse the landrace links thread found here > Landrace seed links

5 Likes

My folks told me about how weed was back in the day. In fact, my father grew some seeds he brought back from Vietnam.
The world of weed is about to become very, very interesting. We’ll probably see a lot more homogenization, but we’ll also see a lot of heirlooms emerging over the next few years. In fact, we already have (Haze, Cookies, Skunk, etc.). What I’m looking forward to is all of the IBLs people have been growing in secret for the last few decades coming to light.
Rescheduling or outright de-scheduling means more than changes to the law; it’d indicative of a major shift in attitudes. Even in jurisdictions where cannabis remains illegal, it’ll be de facto legalized. While cannabis remains highly illegal here where I live, I have yet to see anyone getting busted for simple possession alone (I read the blotter report often). Between the number of people finally understanding how benign cannabis is and the fact that law enforcement is really unpopular anymore, cannabis arrests are going to nosedive.

7 Likes

Heads up, folks. The POT CAST podcast has a 2 part episode with Snow High https://podbay.fm/p/the-pot-cast/e/1665876085. It’s a fascinating conversation for folks that are into landrace and heirloom ganja. They get right to the heart of the matter by starting off the conversation with the origins and differences between Colombian Gold and Punto Rojo. The footprints of Mullumbimby Madness in modern Haze varietals. The popular misconception that there are no sativa(NLD’s) from Afghanistan or Pakistan(Peshawar says “hold my beer”). Chocolate Thai and Purple Thai lore. The Thai foxtail stories. It’s all there. Dig in and enjoy.

8 Likes

Can you say how far in they talk about mm being conected to haze. Im not sure snowhigh has ever had pure mullm so id be interested to know what they say. By the time kanga came on the boards with it in 2009/10 it was no longer in its original form as he had lost it to raids so had to bred back towards it from batches he had of mullum open pollinated with other things.

8 Likes

John seems to have his whole haze thing mixed up, as nevil openly said he got his haze seeds of sam just as he got to holland so not sure why he is saying they were from ny and were similar to mullum. Some of his conversations with nevil are still over on that site. Separately he seems to have his haze pre Holland mixed up seriously and pre ohz mixed up.

6 Likes

I always thought it was interesting that it was also called old mother sativa and I’m pretty sure there was a African plant called queen mother that also grew as a huge bush.

4 Likes

The old mother sativa is supposed to be a different line to the mullum. Old mother is rumoured to be 1950/60 thai and could be one parent of the mullum. Another name for the original old mother sativa was burning bush, but only afew people close to the line knew of it by that name. The weird thing about the old mother was it was able to push side branching up from around it its base very close to the ground, sometimes from under ground. I dont think I’ve ever seen any other strain grow new branches from lower down unless cut off at the top, especially from the base and new branches from underground. Does anyone know of any other strain that does/did this ?

5 Likes

remember the big Mullums?

This is unrelated but the worlds tallest Cannabis Plant ! wohoo

24 feet 2021 world record. Its Hemp i believe…

16 Likes

MM sounds like it could be a Haze and PNG cross. PNG is almost certainly a major part of MM’s ancestry.

3 Likes

I’m not impressed I’ve grown 14 footers in 25 gallon pots and it was smokable :rofl:

4 Likes

They spoke about MM briefly in part 1 and part 2, not sure where where in part 1 but in part 2 I believe it was at the ~ 1 HR 32 min mark. It seems that John does not have intimate first-hand knowledge on the MM, a lot of it appears to be observational rather than experiential.

Surely some Oz growers must have held on to seeds / continued the original MM lineage ?

2 Likes

A lot of great Landrace Sativas made great crosses. Thai was spread across the region in the last 60 years especially. Crosses a plenty! I have a cross from the region, still loads with THCV

2 Likes

Heirlooms are IBLS. Let’s take those 2 ( skunk is arguably heirloom due to age .)off the list lol. I don’t think anyone has taken either of these 2 to the 25th generation
In my mind the only heirloom cookies out there are made by Nabisco😁

12 Likes

Although the late 70’s stinky stuff from Northern California is a piece of history I wished I owned.

4 Likes

Yeah. This!
:+1:

6 Likes