Landraces and heirloom

That’s very cool. I’ve seen a couple of things along those lines in my time growing in super wet climates, one is that often a fully seeded bud will sprout by the thousands while still on the plant, but not until the calyx splits open and the trichomes have well degraded which kind of coincides with about when they are fully ripe, the sprouts then drop onto the wet ground and put down roots. So then the trichomes prevent water damage before they are ripe… that’s cool.

The other thing I have seen is an accidental cross that is ridiculously dense and would be normally expected to be a botrytis nightmare, but its so frosty and solid that water doesn’t even seem to be able get into the buds and so it just never seems to rot, even in extreme wet conditions.

Personally I have found mould resistance among one of the most difficult characteristics to nail down, I am more or less convinced it’s mostly morphology🤷‍♂️

4 Likes

Ove seen seeds sprout in buds in greenhouses.
Overripe and humidity got the seeds to sprout, looking like alien buds.

Yeah, resin coverage and morphology are the tricks to mold resistance.

5 Likes

@Wuachuma @Dirt_Wizard @Heritagefarms

Those Pygmies are still there, scratching out a living from weed growing.

A good article from National Geographical.

Time…Some things never change.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/article/democratic-republic-congo-pygmy-grow-deal-weed

7 Likes

an exerpt from the article:

At some point marijuana reached the Pygmies, who traditionally are hunter-gatherers and don’t cultivate crops. In the early 1970s, Barry Hewlett, now an anthropology professor at Washington State University at Vancouver, walked across the Congo Basin and drafted the first census of Pygmy marijuana use for his master’s thesis. He found the eastern Congo grew the most marijuana and offered the best quality. At that time, Pygmies were getting marijuana from farmers and only a few groups had begun to settle down and grow their own.

3 Likes

I also read they grow it wild/ i mean the weed grows wild in the forests…

Not shure if this observation could be untrue tho, as some people just think if a lone plant grows, that it survives wild…

VERY INTERSTING ARTICLE, and rather leaves me thinking that not the pigmys grew that magical black congolese… but the normal farmers.

Great article!

5 Likes

(i just realized i accidentally spelled them PIGmyes… Wasent intentionally.)

1 Like

Nice! Thanks @Panamajock for that article and @romanoweed for pointing out Barry Hewlett, here is a 2018 article from him:

0278-0771-38.4.517.pdf (1.9 MB)

4 Likes

I am not usually on this site…but got to say.

Merry Xmas …take care fellow growers.

One love x

10 Likes

Merry Christmas, PJ.

2 Likes

The 6th paragraph of the Nat Geo article, toward the end of the paragraph:

“One of the dozen members of this Bambuti Pygmy community trained to identify the correct flora goes along to seek out an important crop they say their ancestors grew long before them: marijuana. In the forest, the plants grow wild, and the Pygmies harvest plants and seeds when their village stock is low.”

That part really has me pondering the deep Congo past. In African culture, every tribe has a griot, the walking ethnographical library, orally passed from parent to child. The griot will know the real about the history of ganja amongst their tribe.

I read the Hewlett and Roulette paper. Many researchers say that pygmy populations rely on foraging for survival. Life is long and history is longer. People will do whatever works to survive. History is cyclical and repetitive. The isn’t the first time in history Pygmies cultivated ganja for survival.

7 Likes

There is no reason cannabis couldn’t have gotten loose and gone feral all over that area. It’s a perfect environment for it. It seems like moving to another continent (or some other major change) brings out some interesting phenotypes. The climate of equatorial Africa is similar to that of south India, but everything else is different. Its adaptation/evolution is probably accelerated, since every year can produce up to 2 generations.

5 Likes

I wish all of you a happy, healthy, and wonderful life this Christmas. Enjoy every moment with your family, friends and loved ones. Merry Christmas to all of you my friends :christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::sparkling_heart:

11 Likes

Dubi from ACE posting lab results, could someone with an ICMag membership pull those images in thumbnails for those of us who can’t see them?

P.S. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well, @Shiv9545 !

4 Likes

The following lab analysis was conducted on behalf of, with samples provided by ACE SEEDS:

Ethiopian 5 parental plant:

Total THC= 9,47 %
Total CBD= 0,07 %
Aprox Ratio THC/CBD= Pure THC chemotype

The main terpenes in the line are: alpha pinene, beta pineno, beta myrcene, trans ocimene, beta cariofileno, alpha humelene, and some variations in d limonene and trans nerolidol.

Update: 3rd October 2019

The kind people from JadeNectar extraction company has found remarkable levels of THCV in our ethiopian line, with an approx THC:THCV ratio of 4:1 - 5:1. They grew 5 different ethiopian females and they mixed them altogether to produce an olive oil based extraction which was analyzed at SClabs showing THCV content of around 2 %. We don’t know yet whether the THCV content came from one particular female, or from most or all of them.

We at ACE were not aware of this, since our first ethiopian cannabinoid analyses performed at Canna laboratories didn’t show THCV content because at that time (early 2017) they didn’t have the standard to detect it. We will explore in depth the THCV content of the pure ethiopian line in upcoming ethiopian cannabinoid analyses and breeding projects.
I attach cannabinoid analysis of the rich THCV ethiopian oil from JadeNectar."

"

7 Likes

The following lab analysis was conducted on behalf of, with samples provided by ACE SEEDS:

"Thai Chiang Mai cannabinoid and terpene analysis.

I think the Thai individual tested is a very representative of the green classic pure old school SE asian sativa pheno, very long flowering (15-20 weeks), that can also be frequently found in Cambodia, Vietnam and southern Laos.

The outdoor sample provided was grown in a not so favourable non tropical climate, with cold temps and rains in flowering, so contents of the sample should be higher if it’s grown properly in a tropical climate, but presences and ratios of cannabinoids and terpenes remain the same.

Moderate/high THC content (for a ‘wild’ P1 landrace without much chance of selection), with interesting contents of CBG.

The terpenes of the thai tested are also the classic aromas found in this SE asian sativa pheno: spices, old wood, slightly citric, green tea …

The terpenes in the sample are: mainly beta myrcene and terpinolene; with lesser amounts of alpha pinene, beta pinene, d limonane, trans ocimene and beta cariofileno."

5 Likes

Yes! Thank you @RoryBorealis this information deserves to be somewhere you can see it without a membership

4 Likes

"Pure China Yunnan cannabinoid analysis

Cannabinoid analysis of our pure China Yunnan, showing an almost pure THC chemotype of high THC content (16,18%), with only traces of other cannabinoids."

5 Likes

Same weather here. Sometimes the rains come early here and the plants get pounded for 2 or 3 weeks…recent tropical storm route changes ( veering inland and up the eastern seaboard) have added inches of rain some seasons. Not all resin is created equal. The resin of wet region plants is far more durable than dry region resin. The resin on my old heirlooms can take the rains. Many of them. Sometimes for days straight. Most resin will still be intact.
With Oaxacan, as much as I love it, the resin gets knocked off during one quick heavy rain.

Sure. That’s why water extraction works.

5 Likes

Wait until ny weed starts to make an entrance to the scene😁

7 Likes

Hunter gatherers help nature do her thing. The same places where food or medicine grows are visited over and over again. Like mushroom hunting, you keep going back to the same spot each year. I think there were and are “wild” patches of pot, but they are helped to continue to thrive…cutting trees and brush to keep a jungle clearing from getting overgrown for example, or scattering seeds…

9 Likes