Landraces and heirloom

Pretty sure Mexico is still part of North America.

5 Likes

Very nice collection, by when will you have the “Big 4” project ready?

2 Likes

In the next six months I intend to make f3’s with a pack of Mexican heirloom f2’s I was given. More or less going to be a seed run to keep the line alive and spread the genetics.

The original grower called it All Star. He grew brickweed in the late 80’s and kept a mom he liked. Four years later he found a male worth keeping in another bag of Mexican. The cross was made in 93 and I have some subsequent f2’s of that cross.

So it’s late 80’s import crossed with early 90’s import. Not exactly pure heirloom, but it is still a cross of rare genes from an era in time.

I will spread them around with you folks for sure.

11 Likes

haha. good point. was lumping mexican landrace varieties in with south american landraces.

2 Likes

Not really sure at this point. I always have 10-15 projects floating around in my head so it really depends on when I get started on it. Once I start it probably a couple years.

The idea of the Mexican run that is planned for me has me thinking about moving the start of the project to the front of the list.

The on thing holding me back is after the Indian Landraces it will be a couple back to back long flowering runs. I am sort of longing for a more normal 8 week flowering run of some sort.

7 Likes

I’ll be making Oaxacan seeds for the Mexican run. I always make extra.

9 Likes

Lol. Everything I want to do indoors is long flowering too. Nice list you have there! That would be nice if you could join in the fun. Probably lots of pollen to be swapped :grin:

1 Like

that makes me happy : ) I really have to come up with something to gift your way Upstate. you’ve been so generous already.

3 Likes

Time to dig those seeds out for sure! I’m getting ready to start that Mexican thread. Couple more weeks. getting my electric done just in time. Found someone to do it by next weekend.

This Four way… what four was it? Acapulco, oaxacan, michoacan, and ???

3 Likes

Makes me happy to share. I looked hard for 3 years for Oaxacan regs. It was at the top of my shopping list for a long time.

6 Likes

"Four Way is featured in some of the earliest seed-catalogues — a multiple Indica hybrid created from exceptional Indian, Afghani and Pakistani cultivars, all backed up with the vigour and high-octane punch of Skunk #1.’ - Sensi Seeds

This was around a bit before the Chem Dog, SD, OG age and was one of the hype strains of the very early 90’s, possibly even late 80’s maybe ? I know it was making its rounds in the Northeast, NY, Virginia, etc. Hadn’t made it to the West Coast until later in the decade.

3 Likes

yeah man. oaxacan is one of those foundational strains that is legendary in the old school community and is rumored to be just fantastic smoke. have you grown any out and smoked it ? I’d love to join the mexi seed run but we are most likely moving in the spring so that would cut short any chance for them to finish but I could definitely do a preservation run at our next house, along with the Cabeza de Negro beans you gifted me recently.

6 Likes

Never grown or smoked it. Wanted this one from hearing stories. Cheech and Chong movies etc. I’m stoked to finally try it. Says 13-16 weeks. I’ll do a pollenation on all ladies, but will select towards 16 workers later.

7 Likes

The “Big Four” are Jalesco, Oaxaca, Michoacan, and Guerrero so it would be a mix of those.

6 Likes

That zacatedas is really rare and thought by some to be extinct, if there’s is legit that would be a great candidate to preserve and spread around.
I have some oaxacan and red hair sensi seeds I plan to grow out next summer.

6 Likes

Ahem, should be Jalisco and Zacatecas, glad to see there is not only Mexican brick weed, wishing great success for your projects … bandit|nullxnull beer3|nullxnull

7 Likes

Here are a couple of bad pics of the ON Haze. I think it’s around 5-6 weeks. I’ll pull it out tomorrow and get better pics. I snuck in after lights out. She’s a hairy girl but the buds are filling out some.

What week would you pollinate her, being sativa like. Do seeds take longer on sativa? Would you start same as other plants like at 3 weeks latest? I really don’t know what the flower time is but it looks very fertile right now. Every other plant got seeded but she escaped it by being slower to start.

20 Likes

@GMan i would say, its time to pollinate. dont wait any longer. wonderful plant , very nice

11 Likes

Agreed, you have got a lot of pistils – you’re gonna make a bunch of seeds. :+1:

12 Likes

I would have pollinated 3 weeks ago. From the looks of her it is late to pollinate but maybe not too late. When I pollinate late like that, they can have a hard time finishing seeds before the plant finishes and starts dying off. She still looks nice and vigorous and healthy so you may be ok if you pollinate now.

8 Likes