Let’s talk about Epsom salts

Are you sure it isn’t your feet that are a source of calcium and magnesium?

5 Likes

Seriously?

1 Like

Well, truth be told I would be doing the same process for the devil’s lettuce… so if it’s my feet over the actual Epsom salts it’ll get them both!

3 Likes

As a heart attack…

1 Like

I’m really curious how you apply it (the Miracle Grow). I have my father his first cannabis plant a few weeks ago and he’s just gonna use miracle grow 20-20-20 until July 1st, then 15-30-15 onwards until Sept. Then just water. Is this close? He’s just having a laugh with it and if he gets anything he’s making cookies for him and my mom.

4 Likes

There’s a whole MG thread, hang on. I’ll find the link.

4 Likes

Interesting, to each his own! I always thought it was hot with nitrogen. :fire:

2 Likes

Daily, I add it til my 3 to 5 day flush.

3 Likes

I’ve used it 1/4-1/2tsp per gallon every watering or so during bloom. But I’ve seen it used in tiny amounts too. Here’s a blend @Chronickyle posted, says to help more frost production. I’m using it for my current set in bloom.

4 Likes

Epsom has its place, if your in a soil amended with coco (like I have done so so many times) add a 1/8 tsp per gallon every other watering. I like to add a bit more later in flower to help bring out skunkiness too. The sulphur seems to get brought up readily and add to those terpenes, polyphenols, flavonoids, etc. as a heavier, lower note, contrasting the sweet, fruity esters and terpenes. At least thats my theory of whats happening.

I think thats why alot of my herb comes out with a sweet nose, then as you smoke it and the light, sweet volatiles get burned off, the heavier, skunkier notes come through.

2 Likes

My standard feed in coco always has 1/4 teaspoon or 1 gram of Epsom salt during veg, 1.5 grams per gallon in flower. I dropped the Calmag when I switched to tap water.

6 Likes

I still add calmag the whole way. When I increased my calmag (from 2 caps per 5 gallons to 5 caps), my plants started looking sooooo much better. I use carbon filtered tap water, comes out at 7.3-.8 depending on the day.

3 Likes

It’s a balance. I am not using filtered water and found it seems to have enough calcium so I dropped the calmag and started adding the Epsom salt. I worry about adding the calmag since too much calcium can lock out magnesium.

7 Likes

I’m running coast of Maine Stonington blend this run, cut 25% with perlite. I’m loving it. Has a great, almost spongey feel, its going to be great for roots. It reminds me of those root riot plugs but in a soil form. I’m still doing the higher calmag and like the results (everything is that deep green I associate with healthy cannabis), and I agree my filter could be removing some minerals for sure. I actually did a watering without as much calmag and saw some lighter color new growth, so went back higher.

3 Likes

My local grow shop has been talking up Coast of Maine stuff for a few months now. Probably give it a shot when I run out of the soil I currently have, if I’m not ready to mix up some supersoil by then.

2 Likes

Thanks for this @Seamonkey84 going to give this a tr!

1 Like

Amen. It will pay dividends to consider present minerals in tap before supplementing with CalMag. I feel this gets overlooked at times. Very good point.

2 Likes

Coast of Maine (made locally here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) has some great reviews. I’ve been using their lobster compost for my bloom mix and like it (though not much to compare to). But I think that’s how I got some root aphids, however the bags were stored outside so not sure what’s to blame. I think I’m going to stick with promix and crab meal/insect frass as part of my amendments for indoor use.

1 Like

I love the lobster compost from them. Amazingly good stuff for refreshing used aoil

2 Likes

I use the plant food for veg, and the tomato food for flowering. I mixed to 4-600ppm.
I am now growing in Octopots, so I mix myb35 gallon res to between 4 and 600ppm and then throw some Epson salts in.