Let’s talk about Epsom salts

I’ve used it 1/4-1/2tsp per gallon every watering or so during bloom. But I’ve seen it used in tiny amounts too. Here’s a blend @Chronickyle posted, says to help more frost production. I’m using it for my current set in bloom.

4 Likes

Epsom has its place, if your in a soil amended with coco (like I have done so so many times) add a 1/8 tsp per gallon every other watering. I like to add a bit more later in flower to help bring out skunkiness too. The sulphur seems to get brought up readily and add to those terpenes, polyphenols, flavonoids, etc. as a heavier, lower note, contrasting the sweet, fruity esters and terpenes. At least thats my theory of whats happening.

I think thats why alot of my herb comes out with a sweet nose, then as you smoke it and the light, sweet volatiles get burned off, the heavier, skunkier notes come through.

2 Likes

My standard feed in coco always has 1/4 teaspoon or 1 gram of Epsom salt during veg, 1.5 grams per gallon in flower. I dropped the Calmag when I switched to tap water.

6 Likes

I still add calmag the whole way. When I increased my calmag (from 2 caps per 5 gallons to 5 caps), my plants started looking sooooo much better. I use carbon filtered tap water, comes out at 7.3-.8 depending on the day.

3 Likes

It’s a balance. I am not using filtered water and found it seems to have enough calcium so I dropped the calmag and started adding the Epsom salt. I worry about adding the calmag since too much calcium can lock out magnesium.

7 Likes

I’m running coast of Maine Stonington blend this run, cut 25% with perlite. I’m loving it. Has a great, almost spongey feel, its going to be great for roots. It reminds me of those root riot plugs but in a soil form. I’m still doing the higher calmag and like the results (everything is that deep green I associate with healthy cannabis), and I agree my filter could be removing some minerals for sure. I actually did a watering without as much calmag and saw some lighter color new growth, so went back higher.

3 Likes

My local grow shop has been talking up Coast of Maine stuff for a few months now. Probably give it a shot when I run out of the soil I currently have, if I’m not ready to mix up some supersoil by then.

2 Likes

Thanks for this @Seamonkey84 going to give this a tr!

1 Like

Amen. It will pay dividends to consider present minerals in tap before supplementing with CalMag. I feel this gets overlooked at times. Very good point.

2 Likes

Coast of Maine (made locally here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) has some great reviews. I’ve been using their lobster compost for my bloom mix and like it (though not much to compare to). But I think that’s how I got some root aphids, however the bags were stored outside so not sure what’s to blame. I think I’m going to stick with promix and crab meal/insect frass as part of my amendments for indoor use.

1 Like

I love the lobster compost from them. Amazingly good stuff for refreshing used aoil

2 Likes

I use the plant food for veg, and the tomato food for flowering. I mixed to 4-600ppm.
I am now growing in Octopots, so I mix myb35 gallon res to between 4 and 600ppm and then throw some Epson salts in.

Haha, ya, I have even had people try and tell me it kills pot plants. :scream: I guess mine did not get the memo…lmao

So a spoonful instead of calmag

I think what Doug is saying is because he uses his tap water which has calcium he doesn’t use cal/mag anymore instead his magnesium source comes from the Epsom

Correct me if I’m wrong @DougDawson

2 Likes

I do believe I am going to switch from miracle grow, and give this set up a whirl.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at that too, the 25lb is waaay more cost effective.

1 Like

25lb kit all the way…

1 Like

I use my tap water as well but I let it sit for 24 hours
My friend was taking about using calmag and Epsom
Salts together so they make the base water 200ppm

Then he says he’s adds the nutes,but he’s Russian maybe I’m im not understanding him riight lol

But he grows dank plants

2 Likes

If your tap water isn’t too high in calcium I’m sure that combo works well.

And a dash of vodka for your Russian homie haha

5 Likes