Light deprivation, an organic tale in mid Michigan 2020

Mold and caterpillars can ruin some fine cannabis in a hurry. Tried my first real outdoor last year and I had some high ass caterpillars eat the inside of every cola it made even with me inspecting ever mourning. Do you do anything in particular to keep hungry caterpillars away?

2 Likes

Hey @Sincy
Well no I really don’t. But I have about 100 or 200 sparrows that are in my grow cage every day off and on all day. As I keep a compost pile just outside the grow cage with things that they love to eat ie. old bread and they hang out inside the grow cage and eat just about every kind of bug that there is inside there. So I really don’t have a butterfly problem to leave eggs on my plants.
As every good organic Growers should know you always have a good predators eat the bad bugs n pests.
Where in my case the birds or could be ladybugs green lacewing larvae or as small as the good nematodes. But something will eat something else.
But In this particular Bud rot that I had on this plant was caused by the green heat which is heat that can’t escape and it can’t burn because the plant is to green and so it creates a heat spot which kills plant material and allows the gray black to set in.

3 Likes

Nothing better than a natural cycle of a small ecosystem keeping itself in check. I had my plants right in my garden but I think they just smelled too sweet and moths couldn’t help themselves. I didn’t have any pest problems in the veggie garden I was kinda wondering if I had something with a more offensive or muted odor instead of the sweet tropicals smell the bugs might not be attracted as much. I’ve been growing for almost 20 yrs but last year was my first attempts at an outdoor grow still have alot to learn about outdoors I guess.

3 Likes

well the best thing I can tell you is.
To help protect any Garden is to attract the good predators. By attracting the good predators you will eliminate the bad pest. As the good they will eat up the bad. Rather it be good Predators that could be praying mantises or wasps or bees ladybugs green lacewing larvae good nematodes Birds. But something is going to eat the bad thing every time So if you got a certain pest that you can identify then study what its Predator is and try to entice that Predator into your garden or there’s places that you can buy those predators and place them in your garden

3 Likes

Yeah I try to grow alot of flowers and utilize companion plants in the garden. I’m totally on board with what you are saying just trying to figure out what to try. I have all kinds of plants growing and have marigolds, sunflower alot of things that attract bees and hummingbird. Maybe I need to try your compost area idea in the garden instead of burrying like I have been. Thanks for the help I appreciate it

2 Likes

Ok, some rather complicated Questions, since you study you might know:

I finally found the 70s Vietnamese , not the Vietblack thats around by Ace, or Kiona and so on, no its the old Gold.

I need to make a Seedrun, if i fail, byby Vietnamese.

I need to light Deprivate a equatorial 20 Weeker Vietnamese at 45 Degree Latitude (middle Europe) , (per Example, Vietblack by Kiona just about finished Seeds at first December, it wouldnt made it a Weak longer, was brown Borridge, but Seeds viable)

I guess they need close to 12/12 to flower, so : from when to when do i have to do this Work. Vague Ideas are mega super welcome. !!
I preffere to do it only once a day, rather in colder Morning.
Thanks for all this propper work!

1 Like

Okay man… @romanoweed
First thing I would do… Is make a few clones. Like at lest 10…

Then use some silver colitis on one of them and make a bunch of seeds.

Then lets talk light depth in your area… If she all that important?

1 Like

hey, probably its bit off talking about that big Project here. Shure she is important. Thats why i kidnapped your Thread …
I thought ther needs anyway to be important Questions Anwsered since i found nearly no Info about what is needed anywhere. It often ended with easy anwser: deprivate till flowering over, install full Ventillation, cool your Greenhouse with special Gas… haha, no chance im doing that

1 Like

Clones man… Make a few clones. And we’ll go from there.

Buds are fattening up nicely…

I love light depth flowering…

5 Likes

24 hours later.

You can see the size difference from these pic from the one’s in my last post 24 hours ago.

3 Likes

The temp has been low 67°f at night and high 94°f . The rh has been around 42% to 73% not to high. Good.

They’ve been drinking a lot of water. 2 gallons a day each average. Been watering mornings once every 3 day’s. But with the heat I’m now watering some in the morning and some at late lunch around 2pm every other day. This seems to be the way they are all like
Ing it. As they are responding very well with swelling buds. Wider and taller… I may be able to start harvesting some as soon as the 20th.

6 Likes

It rained today. Much needed water. Filled up my tanks. 386 gallons in about 20 minutes. Pop up thunder shower…
The plants are drinking about 2 gallons a day.

2 Likes

wow - nice crop coming along there! great work - you have a green thumb for sure

it crazy that I am still in vegg u til the end of this month. can’t wait to flower

Excellent work.