Looking for North American regional IBLs

Deep chunk is def on my list thanks to you!!

Honestly, well known strain or not im interested. The Cannabis genetic pool of most modern strains is mostly a mess, but somewhere in there are patterns waiting to be found.

On a personal level, I am incredibly interested in the stories behind the strains. Why they grew that one, how they grew, what characteristics did they try to improve, etc.

4 Likes

Sounds interesting. I’m in the northeast so out of your region. Should be some similarities to the regions though

1 Like

There could be some real interesting data in there! I know its not reasonable to expect it anytime soon, but I plan on earning enough respect from yall to prove its worth it and convince you to share/trade/sell some of your seeds. Only way to do that is to be transparent and pitch in around here

1 Like

I completely agree with this when it comes to Deep Chunk. There were Overgrow archives that went into a lot of detail in this regard. Those archives are where I found the recipe for the soil mix I run every year in the greenhouse. Adaptations specific to the pacific northwest and growing under the shade of tall trees.
Don’t think we are talking landrace type IBLs here … but there exist probably dozens and dozens of pacific northwest regional IBL’s. For Canada I could name a pretty long list just for the west coast but Texada Timewarp probably easily pre-dates deep chunk and is still being preserved every summer. So regional IBL … I’m sure california has a lot of them to with at least 3 to 4 people generations of family grown hierlooms existing throughout the triangle alone.

5 Likes

Nailed it! I remember being out in Mendocino for my honeymoon years ago and running into a 2nd generation grower who said his family had been growing the same lines for years. Wish I had been more into science and less interested in being an accomplished chef at the time. So many questions I should have asked

4 Likes

I will be growing @JAWS deep chunk f3 (so I think f3 from Tom or nspectas IBL?) in the shade at 45N next summer so happy to share how that goes.

Here’s an example of a family heirloom being explored and selfed on OG:

3 Likes

Many thanks @shade ! Real excited to keep an eye on the grow if you post it! Deep Chunk is one I havent seen around here for at least a decade. I will also readily admit to seeing all the great grows here and being a little jealous, folks here have some real fun genetics!!

I love that you can tag the breeder here, names mean so little in Cannabis today because of the lack of provenance for seeds and strains. I was reading a thread on what breeder made the best bubblegum seeds and was impressed by the records kept and openness of breeders to tell where the lines came from.

I saw the KY red skunk!! I am looking at getting some but since I’m new I’m not familiar with everyone’s reputation and the quoted price was like $100 for 5 seeds. More money than I might be comfortable spending at the moment unfortunately

3 Likes

Next summer it’s coming back, the man @TomHill says he’s gonna pick it up again, another legend you can talk to on this site.

4 Likes

Man, this place is cool as shit. Thanks to everyone who has posted or responded so far! Hopefully I can generate some interest here and earn some trust and give back to the community!

Just to put it out there…if anyone is ever interested in a thread on current Cannabis research and article reviews that is something I wouldn’t mind eventually doing. Lets try and get the bro out of bro science

7 Likes

research the breeding work of the late Mandelbrot aka Ras Truth.
His Royal Kush line, among others would also qualify as a California hierloom IBL. Specifically bred to withstand the conditions of the northern region of the triangle.
A lot of people forget the incredible history cannabis has had in the smaller communities all up the west coast. A great many of what I’ll just call family hierloom lines were specifically developed outdoors and seeded for the next years crop.
So I think "regional outdoor hierloom IBLs " might be a good searching tool phrase.

11 Likes

$100 for 10 fem seeds. :slight_smile: with bonus seeds

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ve searched the terms a few ways and have found some good threads but I also wanted to get this idea out in the community because of how important I think the regional aspect is to sustainable cannabis growing. We mostly think of the environment when talking sustainable but using locally adapted cultivars gets to the key of grower economic sustainability.

I appreciate the input and will keep searching! I got a pack of seeds that is unknown genetics from TN circa 1985 and then some IBLs from Authentic Genetics that helped me take the step from formulating a plan to trying to develop a project. I also don’t think people in this country really appreciate how important these grows were not just to individuals or families, but to entire communities and that is one of the reasons I think we are so disconnected from nature and our food. A lot of people don’t appreciate the work that has gone into turning a seed into something beautiful

1 Like

Hahaha good looking out! I hope I didn’t offend you with that comment. I still have my eye on them and you posting here goes a long way towards vouching for the seeds. I do think the work you did was super important and I appreciate it; if we don’t preserve these genetics and stories they get lost. Losing the genetics means losing diversity and losing diversity leads to genetic crashes. More importantly, losing the stories is losing a piece of history, some of these lines may be the last memory people have of friends and family members

3 Likes

Hi guys. If I understand your line of reasoning, you are looking for what people in my area used to call “pot farmers”. Guys that found a “bagseed” that would ripen in their area. These seeds would then be used every year as the main “cash crop”. If I am correct, you are talking about earlier than 1983 or so. At that time there were no “grow lights” and ALL pot was grown outside. You have a difficult task ahead of you. Of all the guys that I used to know in my area, I am the last. The others have died or were sent to prison decades ago. Any seed that I had was lost or bred to modern hybrids years ago so I cant help you. There may be some old “pot farmers” here. I hope you are successful in your search. :grin:

3 Likes

Freezeland

5 Likes

@Upstate has been growing outdoors for several years (or perhaps decades?) now, and might very well have some worked strains adapted to his local conditions. Also a good person to talk to if you’re looking for IBL/heirlooms in general; he’s generally considered to be one of our landrace experts.

4 Likes

Put it perfectly! I like the heirloom strains from a personal stand point for many reasons but I don’t necessarily need them for this idea. I know there are folks in MI, IN, KY, TN who are generational pot farmers in addition to the typical ag crops they run. Lot of farmers supplementing their income the old fashioned way still. You guys know cannabis culture though, it takes time to work up the trust to get them to openly talk to you (for excellent reasons).

2 Likes

there’s another one. Purposefully line bred to adapt to Quebec and Ontario climates and cultivated for at the very least the last 20 years but I hear more than that.
So two standouts from the west and east of Canada
I would add Rene, Light green hashplant, fraser valley blueberry hashplant and there are many others, bred and cultivated in location outdoors to excell at the 49th parallel and they go back to the 70’s in many places. Romulan is another as the stories place it’s origin from long time outdoor growers on Vancouver Island.
Call them hierlooms strains I suppose but they are all “regional IBLs”

4 Likes

rene definitely popular with the outdoor farmers in ontario. another legend. freezeland same thing for sure.

a newer one taking place now in oregon could be Jager. not sure on how its being bred but i saw @zephyr talking about how its been running a while in southern OR iirc.

3 Likes

I just ran the jager s1 from CSI indoor a few runs, gave some cuts to a friend of my favorite cut and it finished October 10 in bruce county near Owen sound Ontario and did very well. Resistance to cold and mildew. I only ran indoor but his out door was really good. Very good choice for outdoor.

2 Likes