Vintage Kentucky Red Hair strain

A buddy of mines Uncle grew this ‘Kentucky Red Hair’ strain exclusively for 47 years. He passed away and my buddy inherited his stock seeds. The latest batch is dated from 2017. He is giving me 23 seeds to work with. He wants the strain to be shared and enjoyed. He took this pic last year when he ran a bit of it. He admittently just started growing and wanted to get it to someone with more experience. Im thinking im gonna create a bunch of feminized seeds with STS. No idea what this strain is all about but someone grew it for 47 years and im betting its great. Im stoked to get this going!

131 Likes

If you want to preserve the strain I’d recommend to make regular seeds too. Anyway good luck with the project! :seedling:

40 Likes

Hot damn @ChinookKing that does look really special!

Best of success on your run and I agree with @allotment that if you can do regs it’d be best to preserve the strain but also StS to make “instant flower” seeds too. :+1:

17 Likes

Beautiful! I love the story and (as a red headed woman) love the name!

Looking forward to following your grow!

13 Likes

47 years wow. Thats special in its own right.

It reminds me of the Florida Haze (who knows what it really was) I smoked back in high school. My friend went down and brought it back up. Same crazy red-haired look.

All of us are rooting for ya! :sunglasses: :vulcan_salute:

9 Likes

i second the regular seed idea. you can make feminized seeds anytime, i guess you could make regulars anytime also, but it makes sense to me to make the regulars first in case something happens to the fems. of course you could always get more from your buddy but i just like hedging my bets.

20 Likes

Very cool! I would recommend continuing the line with regular seeds! Also once you increase your seeds stock, you should hand them out to homies in hopes that they will preserve it as well. Wishing you the best!!!

8 Likes

Cool project man! I’d also like to see what the ginger has to show! :fire::raised_hands::grinning::fire::raised_hands::grinning::fire::raised_hands::grinning::fire::raised_hands::grinning:

2 Likes

Gonna third, or fourth, or maybe fifth (?) the idea that regular seeds are better for preservation purposes. Fems are awesome if you’re just handing them out to be grown, but probably better to wait until the second run, as well as being easier. Or, if you have the space, you could always try to do both. :slight_smile: Not sure whether it would be eligible for a co-op spot, but you might want to check with them as well to see if you can piggyback along with their infrastructure.

11 Likes

I had a nice red hair plant with buds of very similar structure and resemblance to that pic you’ve posted around the year 2000. It had a sweet cinnamon taste, like Big Red chewing gum, when you drew through an unlit joint. Came out of a bag of seeds I’d collected in my teens that was most likely compressed mexican origin. I topped it twice and it was still probably over 8 feet tall at harvest.

I’ll echo the sentiments encouraging you to make regular seeds. It would be awesome to get my hands on some of those just for nostalgia’s sake. I’m gonna go listen to some Deftones.

12 Likes

This sounds pretty awesome! And I’m assuming you are a fellow hardcore fisherman with a name like that! I’ve caught a few kings/chinnies in my life too :wink: I remember the old Jamaican Red Hair and it looked identical (one hairy bitch) a good friend bred her with La Confidential (red hair Confidential) and it was great, ran her for many years SHE THREW DOWN HEAVY! Definitely interested in watching what you do here.

6 Likes

The Deftones are one of my favorite bands. I bought a baritone 7 string to get the tone of Carpenter’s riffs. I will set u up when these seeds are made.

8 Likes

I know this conversation has been likely had many times on this site but here we go… As a scientist I have to take into account the opinion of the professionals in the Agriculture/Botany dept at UC Davis when they say feminizing a plant doesn’t bottleneck the gene pool of a strain any more or less than using a reg male to create seeds. Now to preserve a larger pool one can argue open pollination as the method. That however can also be done with multiple reversed plants.

I didnt always feel this way. For the first 5 years of my focus in this hobby i was always dealing with reg seeds and wouldnt even use fem seeds. However, i slowly learned dealing with males is a pain in the ass; time/money spent and space wise. Once I read the UC Davis opinion I made the switch. Knowing what the female pheno is before you bred it on and not guessing what a male will bring is a HUGE advantage. So is saving the time and space knowing everything you sow is female. It is a little work to reverse plants, but not that much work and ive gotten darn good at it.

I will listen to different opinions/presented scientific evidence on this topic. If ya’ll really want reg seeds of this Kentucky Red Hair and not fem seeds I can make that happen.

30 Likes

I’m with ya, there. Root was the first song I learned start to finish. I think I can still play most of the adrenaline record and few from the newer ones. Very fun songs to play. Carpernter’s style of riffs has had a huge influence on my playing, never bought a 7 string though.

3 Likes

As a vintage Kentucky red beard hair (now gray) myself, I vote yay for preserving these genetics first as regs, then s1’ing your keepers.

15 Likes

I don’t think using fems bottlenecks the genes either - or at least, not in any major way. There are definitely sex-linked genes, but since we’re only growing out females any male sex-linked genes shouldn’t matter other than for the remote possibility of crossover and/or mutation which might allow it to apply to females. I’m not educated enough about genetics to know whether that’s actually realistic, tbh. What I do know is that I’ve seen this argument before, and that most of the preservationist community prefers open pollinated regs over selected fems. :stuck_out_tongue: I think it’ll spread further and wider if you give people the option of getting regs, at least - if you make fem seeds too and are willing to give them out, I’m sure you’ll find lots of takers.

5 Likes

So… this looks exactly like a strain i grew recently. got it on overgrow, it was a cross between 3 or 4 things. That’s not important, what I want to know is… what’s up with these strains that are all hairs like this? I swear I read somewhere the hairs dont have trichomes on them so where is all the THC? I am considering just turning the whole plant into hash since its so damn hairy. Don’t the hairs taste bad. It’s about cured so I guess I should smoke it and find out. Curious to what others say about these hairy strains.

4 Likes

I’ve read the same while I was reading about trimming. The suggestion was to trim all the red hairs off.

I like the folklore, I won’t lie. My husband would love if all I grew was 30% THC, he dgaf about what it looks or smells like.
I like that there is a story about this guy in Kentucky, and I’m a red head too. Im going on a limb to say someone doesn’t keep a strain for 47 years that isn’t at least a good smoke.

10 Likes

I’m a brown haired person fwiw. Do you have more pics? That’s a photogenic plant

Did your hairy strain take around 105 days to finish flowering? That is how long my buddy said this Kentucky Red Hair takes. Leads me to believe its likely from Jamaica or Panama?

3 Likes