Looking for Sweet Tooth #3

@Knospe could help here…
If I remember correctly he too got to get his hands on Steve’s clones…
I’m I right Knospe?
DS

1 Like

I still have some swt3 seeds from the time when steve was doing business in ticino. The original sweetpink grapefruit was around for some time here in switzerland. The flowery field guys in vienna have SPG and LUI from SOL.

4 Likes

Fleur du Mal should have a selected backcross of pre-Swiss SOL Sweet Tooth #3 available towards the end of the year. Check back here or at the FDM thread in Breeders Lab for updates.

-b420

5 Likes

Count me already in for a cpl packs B.
:slight_smile:
DS

Woohoo, seeds and more seeds!!!

Thanks a lot for your message. PM’d you.

That is good news for all Steve’s fans! Thanks…

btw. “pre-Swiss” … I know Steve was in Switzerland circa since 2001. Or SWT#3 is older than that?

1 Like

I’ll try to have some news from Steve on this…
DS

1 Like

So, my bad, upon review of my library logs looks like I have the third accession released in 2001, which would likely have been from Steve’s first Sweet Tooth generation in Ticino. Which, following his nomenclature, would make it #4. I have notes that it was considered IBL at this point, so should deliver some very uniform progeny.

SOL introduced Sweet Tooth in 1995. Still looking for my notes on this but I seem to remember Steve selling SWT#3 through Vancouver seedbanks - Emery, New Amsterdam, etc. in '97-99 but having trouble keeping stock in the stores and then basically taking a break while relocating to Ticino. The first couple of strains he concentrated on, Cream Sodica and Purpurea Tensinesus, were later pulled for quality issues, and delayed the release of a new SWT vintage until May 2001.

Looks like @LemonadeJoe, @Dee.S73 and @Knospe may have a better handle on SOL’s Swiss period. I just remember it was finished by 2004, and SOL pretty much disappeared afterward.

Anyone really jonesing for the “original” SWT might give Chimera’s Grapefruit x Blueberry cross a shot. It’s essentially the same Sweet Pink Grapefruit clone from BC X DJ Short’s original Blueberry. Breeders Retail is the outlet, more info on the retailer’s page at ICMag.com.

-b420

6 Likes

But you’re still goin to do #4?

1 Like

Yes, absolutely.

-b420

1 Like

So IBL means it is essentially very stable correct. Like it’s a strain of its own, but number four in this case?

Breeder-speak for inbred line. Simply means several generations of matings of individuals from the same parent stock. Primarily done to fix desirable traits and stabilize phenotypic expression across individuals to produce more uniformity. So SWT #4 should have a higher proportion of individuals that reflect the model phenotype that Steve was aiming for. Not a different strain, but a more uniform version of SWT.

-b420

6 Likes

from what I recall, swt3 was made till all 2003, then it was the 4 that was… different… I didn’t like it honestly…
less prone to mold but also less… less !
I suspect that some digging on CW will tell us more as archives are online.
DS

Less, as in less vigor? Line breeding is always a dance between increasing the preponderance of desirable phenotypes and decreasing vigor. Steve worked with very small selections in the early days - often just a handful of P1 individuals to chose mothers and fathers from. I believe he chose his Blueberry male from a total of five seeds. The practice sets up a strain for early inbreeding depression in subsequent generations. One of the reasons I’ve been waiting on this project was I have been considering whether an “outcross” to the SPG clone might be a more satisfactory outcome.

-b420

3 Likes

“less” as less everything…
less vigour, less production but less mold problems too that’s true.
I must say that the overall most amazing growth I’ve done have been of Steve’s adventure mix… pheno hunting fest with keepers every time…
DS

Chimera grapefruit x blueberry was a joint project between sol and chimera and if you can find them they are what breeder steve sold as sweet tooth 1.1

I have couple of bits from sol but unfortunately i’ve no longer have any original swt tooth#3 but do have some swt tooth#3 that were given out as freebies years back. These seeds were bought from breeder steve in bulk to be given out as freebies, i think the germ rates were not that great but the wise people over at icmag started selling them and had a big falling out with breedersteve.

6 Likes

I know it’s off topic, i do know where until about 10 days ago there is 1 pack of original spice of life sweet blue x12 seeds for sale, probably the last pack on the planet for sale.

I physically saw them held them 10 days ago, vac packaging in perfect condition, they had 2 sweet blue and 1 blue satellite 2.2 . Blue sat and 1 pack of sweet blue been sold.

Do I understand it correctly that it is very subjective term?

That IBL is stable only in those traits that breeder is looking for and only to the level that breeder assumes sufficiently “stable”.

You are lucky guy!

Packs like these are simply priceless!

2 Likes

These are the ones. They was £100

6 Likes

Thanks to @Knospe it is here!
Thanks to Overgrow for this opportunity.

Can’t wait to germinate them!

5 Likes